VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Would _you_ watch Futurama with a new Voice Cast?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jon Morss

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Futurama is one of my all time favorite cartoons and had the extreme pleasure of meeting and speaking with Billy West last year. He is such a great guy with an unmatched talent. I could not even conceive of any other VO talent to voice for the show. Besides, they would have to hire like 4 or 5 actors just to do what one Billy West does on the show. Futurama would certainly not be the same and I think I would have to change the channel if I had heard the show without the original cast.

I wish all of the actors the best of luck in their negotiations.
Claire Dodin
Club 300

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was lucky to work with Billy West on a film recently. He is a wonderful man with a great heart and hugely talented!
He is in good spirit, I spoke to him yesterday, he things everything will work out fine.

Do not audition for this! Resist the temptation, we could all be in his shoes!
I have faith in the voice-over community, if we stand strong against this practice, we'll all get even stronger! Laugh
It benefits all of us to stop studios from pulling these stunts.
And it warms my heart to see so many of you sharing this opinion. Laugh
bobbinbeamo
M&M

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, everyone, and thank you both Bobs!
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you were thinking properly you would audition and get everyone you know to audition and I mean EVERYONE. I kow you can't do the voice and you're not a good actor but they need to hear everyone try. EVERYONE.... EVERY SINGLE AUDITION ATTEMPT. I know it'll take them time, lots of time, lots of completely WASTED time. But it's what they want ...isn't it?

I know the philosophy of "don't just do something, sit there" is quite popular but may be for once there's another option.

C'mon troops, now's the time to show the suits at Fox just how much you really suck!
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a fabulously subversive idea.
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And if, by some miracle, they offer you the job, you can always turn it down. Ninja
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee Gordon wrote:
And if, by some miracle, they offer you the job, you can always turn it down. Ninja

Yes, there is that risk because most of the suits really are THAT stupid.
craigcrumpton
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had opportunities to audition for both The Simpsons and The Powerpuff Girls when they went through their contract negotiations, and declined both of them.

I was seriously considering auditioning for The Simpsons because I was a naive newbie back then, and I don't know if Pat Fraley remembers it but I had a phone conversation with him around that time where he mentioned that he turned it down and I didn't understand why until he explained why it wasn't professional. I never told him that I'd already recorded my auditions and was preparing to send them in, but I erased my recordings after the conversation ended.

I also got an audition for a Mickey Mouse sound-alike search back in 2005, and was going to decline it until my agent explained that it was legitimate and that they weren't trying to replace the actor. I never imagined we'd lose Wayne before he had an opportunity to mentor someone to take over the role.

I said everything else I had to say about the Futurama auditions on my blog:

http://voiceactors.wordpress.com/2009/07/17/fox-attempting-to-recast-futurama/

...which I'm proud to say got slashdotted over the weekend and currently has over 5,000 views...and counting...
dhouston67
VO-BB Intarwebz Glossary Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lance Blair wrote:
Bob's right, and I specifically know the name of somebody who did a Simpsons impression commissioned by Fox that was used to beat back the cast. In essence, Fox got perfect impressions recorded and then demanded to know why any of the talents' demands ought to be met.

I spent Saturday evening at a going-away party for a friend. One of the guests recounted a story of years ago being allowed to sit in quietly at a table read for a Simpsons episode. He noted that Dan Castellaneta was participating via conference call, and he recalled marveling at hearing first-hand how the actor "brought that something extra" to each of Homer's lines.

I'd imagine that this utter uniqueness was ultimately somehow conveyed to the Fox execs when push came to shove.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Lance Blair
M&M

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread has renewed my love of this messageboard, and made me appreciate how special this group is. Elsewhere, I've read some unfortunate discussions by miserable defeatists falling over themselves to justify what 20th Century Fox TV is doing as if it is normal auditioning procedure.

Much higher quality of people round here. Thanks, guys.
paddyo
CM

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lance Blair wrote:
Much higher quality of people round here. Thanks, guys.

You can say that again.

Paddyo
www.thepatrickoconnor.com
Eddie Eagle
M&M

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got to go make some more popcorn, this is a great thread.
CarynClark
MMD

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I'm just bummed I didn't get the notice so I could turn it down! Smile

Good thread here.

"A positive mental attitude and having faith in your ability is quite different from being irresponsible and downright stupid." - Dave
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Send in an audition anyway. (get a load of the "King of the Hill" error)

Thursday, Jul. 16, 2009, 5:54 PM Pacific

FUTURAMA
Voice Over
Episodic
1/2 hour animated comedy for Twentieth Century Fox Television
SAG

Creators Matt Groening and David X. Cohen
Casting Director: Scott Muller
Shoot/Start Date: August
Pay Rate: TBD

SUBMIT ELECTRONICALLY
OR
FOR SUBMISSION OF AUDIO ONLY (MP3S ON CD PLEASE) KING OF THE HILL
ATTN: SCOTT MULLER
15821 VENTURA BLVD.
ENCINO, CA

VOICE AUDITIONS MAY BE SENT IN THE FOLLOWING WAYS:

1. MP3 AUDIO AUDITIONS ONLINE IN WHATEVER MEANS IS CONVENIENT FOR YOU.

2. MP3 AUDIO AUDITIONS ON CD.

3.EMAILED AS ATTACHMENTS TO: FUTURAMA@SCOTTMULLERCASTING.COM (NOTE: PLEASE USE THIS METHOD SPARINGLY, ATTACHMENTS NOT TO EXCEED 5 MB) AUDITIONS SHOULD BE SENT ASAP AS WE WILL BE MOVING QUICKLY. PRODUCER SESSIONS WILL BE HELD AT A DATE TBD.

We are starting casting immediately for Futurama, a half-hour animated comedy created by Matt Groening and David X. Cohen. Descriptions of these established characters follow, along with links to clips of previous episodes for reference.

SERIES REGULAR ROLES:

[ PHILIP J. FRY (FRY) ]
Fry, a 20th century slacker, works as a pizza delivery boy. On December 21st, 1999, he is cryogenically frozen and wakes up 1000 years in the future in the city of New New York. Through a series of events, Fry tracks down his great (x30) nephew Professor Hubert Farnsworth and lands a job at the Professors Planet Express delivery company as a delivery boy. Fry bunks with Planet Expresss beer-swilling robot, Bender. Fry is constantly trying to win the heart of Leela, the companys ship captain...SERIES REGULAR

http://www.comedycentral.com/videos/index.jhtml?videoId=164702&title=flashback-freeze (Episode 5ACV03)

[ TURANGA LEELA (LEELA) ]
Leela, a sexy Cyclops, is the captain of the Planet Express delivery ship. Leela is in charge of every company mission, having her hands full keeping Fry and Bender in line. Her early years were spent in an orphanage where she was a bit of an outcast for having one eye. She took up kickboxing and other similar sports to make up for the lack of friends. She still has problems with men and often gets jealous of Amys (her co-worker) popularity among the opposite sex. She has a soft spot for Fry but is unsure of anything further than that, due to Frys clumsy advances...SERIES REGULAR

http://www.comedycentral.com/videos/index.jhtml?videoId=162824&title=leelas-timeline (Episode 4ACV02)

[ BENDER BENDING RODRIQUEZ (BENDER) ]
Bender, a cigar-smoking, booze-guzzling, kleptomaniac robot, had a successful career in bending girders but tired to kill himself when he found out the girders were being used for suicide booths. He was saved by Fry and later took a job at Planet Express. To be able to function properly, Bender needs the chemical energy from alcohol. Excessive drinking is mandatory or he will become sober and unable to control his body. Magnets stuck to his head make him sing like a folk singer...SERIES REGULAR

http://www.comedycentral.com/videos/index.jhtml?videoId=188899&title=bender-the-drone (Episode 5ACV05)

[ PROFESSOR HUBERT FARNSWORTH (PROFESSOR) ]
Professor Hubert Farnsworth is the owner of the Planet Express delivery company, which he uses to fund his strange scientific experiments. He also lectures at Mars University on the mathematics of quantum neutrino fields (he made up the name so no one would dare take the course). He is technically 160 years old, but to avoid being picked up by the sunset squad and taken to the near death star he says he is only 150...SERIES REGULAR

http://www.comedycentral.com/videos/index.jhtml?videoId=217636&title=back-in-action (Episode 5ACV01)

[ DR. JOHN ZOIDBERG (ZOIDBERG) ]
Dr. Zoidberg, a lobster-like alien, left his home planet of Decapod 10 to become a rich doctor but instead became the Planet Express staff doctor (doesnt pay so well). Zoidberg, who is usually shunned by the rest of the Planet Express crew, is always in search of his next meal. His skill as a surgeon, and basic knowledge of human anatomy, are often called into question. He secretly desires to become a stand-up comedian...SERIES REGULAR

http://www.comedycentral.com/videos/index.jhtml?videoId=147743&title=love-lessons (Episode 2ACV05)

FUTURAMA RECURRING ROLES:

[ MOM ]
Mom is the very old, very rich, very ruthless founder of Moms Friendly Robot Company. She has three sons: Walt, Larry, and Igner, who work for the company and help Mom do her dirty work. Many years ago, Farnsworth worked for Moms Friendly Robot Company, and they had a fling, which ended when Mom kept turning Farnsworths cute inventions into mad, killing machines...RECURRING

http://www.comedycentral.com/videos/index.jhtml?videoId=147736&title=mothers-day (Episode 2ACV14)

[ ZAPP BRANNIGAN ]
Zapp Brannigan is a 25-star General of the Democratic Order of Planets and has been responsible for several successful wars including a triumph over the pacifists of the Ghandi Nebula. He is always accompanies on mission by his hapless assistant Kif Kroker. Behind all his bravado he is a wimp who is not very intelligent. He once slept with Leela, a fact hat he constantly reminds her of...RECURRING

http://www.hulu.com/watch/60311/futurama-zapp-in-the-shower (Episode 2ACV17)

[ KIF KROKER (KIF) ]
Kif Kroker is a hard working, long suffering alien Lieutenant of the DOOP who does all the hard work and takes the rap for problems usually caused by Zapp Brannigan (his superior officer). Zapp considers Kif to be his most loyal friend however, Kif in fact views Zapp as an imbecile. He is smitten with his current girlfriend Amy. He has no bones and is supported by a system of inflated bladders...RECURRING

http://www.hulu.com/watch/4471/futurama-kif-is-pregnant (Episode 4ACV01)
Lance Blair
M&M

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scottmullercasting.com is under development.

To quote a famous character: "What a maroon!"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: