VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Missing Something?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
COURVO
Even Taller Than He Seems On TV

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:20 am    Post subject: Missing Something? Reply with quote

OK, I got brave and posted my interpretation of "ShockStruts" in the other forum, but it sounded hollow and tinny compared to some of the other entries.

I'd appreciate any insights.

My home studio is equipped with:

AKG C3000B mic with pop filter and boom mic stand
M-Audio Firewire Solo
Sony Sound Forge Audio Studio 8.0 (M-powered Pro-Tools V7.0 arrives today!)

That's it...no pre-amp, no mixer. Just an XP-powered PC I pretty much built myself with plenty of speed and Gigs, and RAM, and yada yada. The motherboard has a sound card integrated with it, so I'm sure it's not very fancy. Computer HD and fan noise I dampen with a thick comforter I drape over the unit while recording...it probably gets 87% of the noise.

I use a 4X5ft fully-enclosed space on the second floor with Auralex 2" StudioFoam on most of the walls....berber carpet on the floor, and standard wood stud and sheetrock walls. I also drape a blanket over the door to cover the remaining blank space while recording.

Thanks for putting up with this noob question, and 'ppreciate any suggestions.

Dave C.
Courvo's "Voice Acting in Vegas" Blog: http://www.CourVO.biz
on your phone at courvo.mobi
"I'm not a news anchor, but I play one on TV."
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, we can compress you some to make it "louder" but it gets a bit nasty. Here's a quick and dirty preset used for example:

Long Stroke Shock Struts (Compressed)

Hmm, At first I thought there was a good bit of "room" in your recording but that doesn't make any sense to me since you have a treated space. You say you've got Auralex on most of the walls... what does that mean exactly. 25% coverage, 60%, 80%? What would you guess?

You sound "off mic" to me but it's very hard to tell why or what's going on on such a short file.

Did you record your website demos in your room or somewhere else? The couple I listened to don't have that air in them.

Record something else that's a bit longer, say 30 seconds to a minute. I'll be happy to share my thoughts, and I bet others would too. I may not know a whole lot about acting, but I'm pretty good at the technical stuff.
Bailey
4 Large

Location: Lake San Marcos... north of Connie, northwest of the Best.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Missing Something? Reply with quote

COURVO wrote:
I use a 4X5ft fully-enclosed space on the second floor with Auralex 2" StudioFoam on most of the walls....berber carpet on the floor, and standard wood stud and sheetrock walls. I also drape a blanket over the door to cover the remaining blank space while recording.

Suggestion... If the fully-enclosed space has a door, open it up. The sound booth may be a little on the "dead" side.
VO-BB Member #00044 W00T.gif" alt="W00T" border="0" />
AOVA Graduate 02/2004 ;
"Be a Voice, not an Echo."Ninja
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just realized (as I was deleting your original file off my desktop) that it's at a 22050 sample rate instead of 44100. There's part of the problem right there. Wink
allensco
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:11 am    Post subject: Brian is right... Reply with quote

Brian is right, the lower sample rate could be part of the problem. I have a C3000B mic also. I have found that it sounds better if it's worked kinda close. It sounded to me like you were too far away from it, giving it that "hollow" sound as it picked up alot of the room. My recording space isn't treated as well as I'd like it to be and I get a "hollow" kinda sound when I'm too far away from the mic. So, I work a little closer to the mic to get rid of it. Hopefully, sometime later this year, I can get my space treated right with foam.

My audio chain is: Lawson L47FET mic > preamp/processor adding just a touch of light compression > mixer > computer with Echo Mia/Midi PCI card and Sound Forge Audio Studio 8 (great piece of software!)

I still have the AKG mic, just don't use it anymore. The Lawson just sounds sooo much better.
Charlie Channel
Club 300

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Square and rectangular areas tend to resonate. The sound of your signal reminds me of the "tuning" I had to do with my booth. My vocal booth is 4 x 6; however, I found;

1. I got undesirable ambience when the mic was too close to the wall. The sound was sort of hollow and also somewhat resonant. My mic's are now about 1-1/2 to 2 feet from a wall. And, I don't work with the mic in a position that's perpendicular to any wall.

2. I eliminated squared corners that I face when working by placing Auralux around the "L", if you get my picture. Basically, the corners are rounded by bending the foam into the corner sort of like a "U" or "(". I found that change minimized or eliminated the undesirable resonance. I also "bent" a piece of Auralux on the wall and ceiling where I face the mic. It's above a window (out of which I can see my DAW).

To really break sound up, I put a small ratan armour in the booth, and loaded it with some books.

By changing the orientation of the mic (it's not perpendicular or parallel to any wall), moving the mic farther from the wall and eliminating square corners, I was able to achieve a "deadness" that was OK to my ears.

I think that's what opening the door might achieve: you'll break up the bouncing waves that may be creating some phasing issues.

And, as was mentioned, working closer to the mic may also help. It's all in technique, sometimes.

My gear mic is either an Electrovoice RE-27 or Rode NTK. Usually, it's the RE-27.

C
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On that note, a lot of mics will sound much better if you put your back to a wall and speak out to the room across the mic (applies to all size rooms).
COURVO
Even Taller Than He Seems On TV

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hart, Bailey, Allen, Charlie....
Props for all your thoughtful considerations and suggestions.

Hart:
The booth is about 30-40% covered with Auralux. Since this room was previously a storage closet, the rest of the space is festooned with books, boxes, luggage, and big plastic storage boxes....most of all that is either above me, below me or behind me....but there is Auralux on all blank wall space into the corner where I direct my voice as I speak into the mic.
The only demo currently on my website that comes from my new home studio is the book "Blink"...if you listen to it, you can clearly hear the difference. The other stuff was recorded in a professional studio, or here at the TV station in their sound booth.
Before I hit the sack tonite, I'll post a longer sample here from my booth.

Also, Hart: "at a 22050 sample rate instead of 44100"....do I preset that in my software before recording, or make the adjustment afterwards?

Bailey: I'll pop the door open to let the room breathe a bit...if I can just get my 3 daughters to shut up long enough. Thanks for that!

Allen: You make me wonder about my initial concern: I'm missing any treatment of the signal in the form of a mixer or a pre-amp. Would anybody else agree that I might need that? Any suggestions for reasonable solutions there? I wondered about the AKG 3000. I was trying to shoot for not-the-most-expensive/not-the-least-expensive for starters.

Charlie: Great analysis ....I think I'm already meeting your suggestion for placement of the mic (at an angle other than perpendicular)...but I may position a bit more Auralux into the corner to "round out" the sound as you mention.

Lots of food for thought...I'll keep tweaking. All-y'all are great for helping. Hart, that's for you....I used to live in Greensboro. 'Worked at WMFY.

Best,
Dave C.
Courvo's "Voice Acting in Vegas" Blog: http://www.CourVO.biz
on your phone at courvo.mobi
"I'm not a news anchor, but I play one on TV."
dmgood

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your recording space sounds alot like mine - 4X5ft prior storage area. I've purchased two of the Auralex D-36 kits from Musician's Friend. The first one helped alot. The second one helped even more. You could hear the difference. I'd say I'm close to 90% covered on walls - moving blanket hung over the door by a curtain rod above the door. Drop ceiling. Your sound file has characteristics like mine used to sound before the foam. You can hear the "ring" of the room. I spent quite a few sessions where I just cranked up the mic and the headphones and listened. Turned the mic and listened some more. Moved the mic closer or farther from the wall and listened some more. (a mic arm helps alot with varying positioning)
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

COURVO wrote:
The booth is about 30-40% covered with Auralux.

If it was me I'd go for a lot more, in a space that small I would go for dead dead dead. like 80 to 90 percent coverage. But that's my tastes others may disagree.

Quote:
books

Good

That other stuff, boxes, luggage, plastic containers. Big hard surfaces for sound to bounce off of. yech.

Quote:
Also, Hart: "at a 22050 sample rate instead of 44100"....do I preset that in my software before recording, or make the adjustment afterwards?

Yes, there should be a default somewhere. You'll want that to be 44100 (which is CD quality). I even record some stuff at 48000 then mix it down to 44100 for the final product.

Quote:
All-y'all are great for helping. Hart, that's for you....I used to live in Greensboro. 'Worked at WMFY.

I moved up here from Alabama. It's a great place, now if I can just get them to quit putting so much vinegar in the BBQ.

Hope this helps.
allensco
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

COURVO wrote:

Allen: You make me wonder about my initial concern: I'm missing any treatment of the signal in the form of a mixer or a pre-amp. Would anybody else agree that I might need that? Any suggestions for reasonable solutions there? I wondered about the AKG 3000. I was trying to shoot for not-the-most-expensive/not-the-least-expensive for starters.

Nah, I don't think you're missing anything in the signal...just the room treatment and how you're working the mic. Like the other guys said, you need more (or better) room treatment AND like I mentioned, work closer to the mic. Don't "eat it", just work it closer, you'll find the technique that works for you. Charlie and dmgood also mentioned mic placement.

Your M-Audio interface has the preamp built in so you don't need anything there. A mixer is not necessary, unless, like me, you use other audio sources from time to time (cd/cassette player, etc). You're audio chain is fine. There are several VO-BB'ers that use M-Audio. Don't quote me here, but I don't think many use a mixer, as it's just not necessary for vo work.

As far as the mic goes...I love my AKG C3000B. It has a very smooth sound and is a great mic. Can't beat the price ($299) either. With my voice, it sounded muddy, so I had to add some high boost. That's why I decided to go for a different mic. The Lawson fits my voice much better than the AKG.

Also, on the software end, make sure you have 44.100 as the default sample rate.

There are plenty of good suggestions in this thread. You'll just have to experiment to find the right combination. I'm STILL experimenting!

Hope this helps a bit...
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love seeing a brief discussion for us non-techies on the current state of thought on 44.100Khz versus 48.000Khz sample rates. I use 44.1 because that has been the default rate for so many things including most CD's and MP3's, but I'm seeing a lot of requests for material at 48.

I know that 48 is measurably better than 44.1 (but not really any better to the average human ear?). Is this still an active Beta versus VHS kind of battle, or is everyone waiting until 96.000Khz becomes the standard?

Bruce
Doc

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce,

My understanding is that 44K is CD quality, stereo and 48K is CD/DVD quality for use with 5.1 and 7.1 configurations.

Bottom line is it's all about the audiophile. Some producers are audiophiles and some just think they are. Wink
Charlie Channel
Club 300

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read that the bit depth is the real key. Think of bit depth as the length of a word. 44.1k is normally 16 bits. There's only so many combinations of "1's" and "0's" you get with 16 bits. Thus, when the standard for CD's was implemented, 44.1K at 16 was adopted. That was an unfortunate choice, because the coding system caused some aural nuiances to not be encoded digitally. The result was a "cold" or "sterile" -- almost too pristinely clear sound that many did not like.

If the sample rate had been higher, then some of those aural abberations would not have been normally detected. However, bit rate is also a factor in analog to digital conversion. Thus, 24 bits are longer "words" permitting more granularity in the encoding, and higher fidelity to the analog encoded digital string. For that reason, some engineers say that for most people, 44.1k at 24 bits is all that's really needed. Most people will not perceive any difference and sonically, 44.1 @ 24 sounds great.

Those engineers may hold the view that 96k, while it answers many criticisms, is not truly necessary or needed, given the disk space consumed. In other words, few would ever perceive the difference between a 96k @ 24 bits versus a 48k at 24 bits. Some (probably more than a few) will be able to perceive the difference between a 44.1k @16 bits and a 48k @ 24 bits. Very few (hardly anybody) will be able to tell the difference between 44.1K @ 24 and 48k @ 24 bits.

In the Pro Tools book I bought, the "expert" recommends 44.1K @ 24 bits. That's what I usually use, as it doesn't consume as much disk space. Nobody has complained.

There is one other issue: Conversion to MP3 or some other file format. Some clients require WAV or AIFF files, to avoid conversion loss, or because of concerns for conversion loss.

One lesson I've learned: Always ask the client what format, sample rate and bit length is needed. I had one client who said, WAV. But, his application would not import 24 bit files. That took a couple of minutes to figure out. Once I did, it was a simple matter to bounce to a WAV file at 44.1 x 16. It works fine for regular TV. HDTV? That may be another story.

CC
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SoundsGreat-Elaine Singer
King's Row

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting Charlie. I went into Cool Edit to see what I could see - they offer only 8 bit, 16 bit or 32 bit (float), no 24 bit. Hmmmm - looks like I would have to go from the sublime to the ridiculous. Not sure how the 'float' works.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: