VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do I really need a home studio???

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BBeen

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 7:43 pm    Post subject: Do I really need a home studio??? Reply with quote

Is it truly necessary to have my own studio?? I am quite challenged when it comes to engineering. I know what a mic is and what a computer is, and that's pretty much the extent of my knowledge. There are a couple of local studios in town that i have developed a relationship with that have fairly reasonable rates (40$ hr) Or should i invest the time needed to teach myself the basics of a home setup. I am a smart guy just have never really done the production side of things. Is it easy to learn.??????
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and the answer is....

No and Yes!

First the "no" side of things: You don't need a home studio if,

... your client will pay for studio fees;

... if you do not mind being at the mercy of someone elses schedule;

... you don't have clients who need you every day (or thereabouts) and need their production VO - NOW!;

... you are truely challenged by technology - however if you are able to cut and paste in a word document - you probably have the basics down already and need to strike this item from the list;

... your fees, price structure, and time allow you the freedom to drive to and from the recording studio at a moments notice;

... you are just beginning to work in the business and are not sure this is what you really want to do with your life;

... Voice Over's are a part time way to make spending money.

Now the "yes's":

You "need" a home studio when:

... you have devoloped a clientele and have more work than time to drive to a studio to record one or two spots/narrations, etc. and then to another studio and record one or two spots, etc. and then to another studio...;

... your time is valuable to you;

... you don't have anything to do in the day but fix your computer audio setup;

... you find that working from your home studio is a nice, quiet, short commute to the office;

... you have a lot of clients (yes this important);

... you like having free time and don't like to drive here and there too much;

... you have a lot of clients;

and finally, ... you have a lot of clients.

I am sure this board's members will come up with more yes's and no's but this is a start. Choosing between a home studio or not, is an important decision and if not done properly can be costly as well. Learning the software and the hardware can be daunting, it may also be simple - it depends on your attitude and your willingness to learn and practice.

Having a "home studio" can be a benefit or a boon-doggle. Each side will depend upon your client load, a local studios availability, and your clients preferences.

Personally, I spent many years without a studio, however it was when non-linear computer recording was not even a pipe dream - before CD's and memory chips... O.K. - before vynal records and recording tape...

I have friends who still do not have studios in their homes and do not regret it.

It your choice - and to quote a familiar movie - "...choose wisely".

Frank F
billelder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great question (crispybud) and great answer (Frank F) !

Crispy, if you're logged in here then you probably have most of what you need to build a good and simple home studio. Your profile reads "Dispatcher, rookie vo guy" and your e-mail shows you're with Comsast.com so you're almost there. Even if you decide to do the bulk of your work from studios, there may be the time that someone will need a "quickie" that disallows your booking studio time. A decent audio mixer (approx. $100) , condenser or cardioid microphone (approx. $100) and even a free audio program (Audigy) can get you started cheaply and allow you to do those fast jobs. Plus, you can send MP3 files as attachments using your Comcast account. So, when someone says, "We need a quick tag right now" you're set to go!

Good luck!
Andy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, yes. Mostly, because I like learning new things. Plus, I have a booking agent in Atlanta who wouldn't take me on without one. Here's my set-up:

Sennheiser 421-II Mic $380 (I used the arm of an older drafting table lamp to configure a boom stand and shock mount. I'm handy)

Soundcraft, Spirit NotePad Mixer: $159

Creative, Soundblaster Live! Sound Card $50

Cool Edit Pro Software (Free. We use it at the TV station where I work. You might want to check with the engineer at the radio station where you work. He might burn you a copy of the production software they use. I'll bet it's either CEP or Adobe Audtition)

IOmega CD burner $70 with rebate

Assorted cheapo blankets and comforters from Big Lots for studio walls

$80

Msc.: Mic cables, cable jacks, CD jacket publishing stuff, CD Cases, $150

Total: $889
BBeen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Truth be told I really want my own home studio. Don't have the demand or business for it yet but that will come in time. I do have at least half a brain and can teach myself anything I want to. Always been a bit scared of all the studio stuff...simply because of a lack of knowledge. But with the folks on this board, I'm sure when i am ready to get 'r' done I have plenty of experts to rely on. thanks everybody.

Bud
BBeen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an addendum to the previous post, One of the guys at the station is going to take the time and teach me some basic production skills, mixing etc. with Cool Edit Pro at the station. should give me a leg up when doing my own stuff eventually.
Charlie Channel
Club 300

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, most of my best pay has come from other than using my home studio. My intention was, and is, to use it. Well, I do use it a lot. But, for now, most of the money comes from going to other studios, for some reason.

As Frank pointed out, the commute is fantastic. Dress standards at the office are to my liking.

As an investment an in-house studio has advantages because the biz is changing daily. In some ways, the Internet holds out the promise of convenience through virtual casting servers (as I call 'em, e.g., voice123.com, etc.). But, I recently heard of a $40 :30 TV spot. Whew! It might be convenient, but that sure ain't too profitable.

But, as Frank wisely points out, having a studio is a function of having clients. And, that's the real key.

Recently, I told my agent that we'll just do ISDN auditions moving forward. Typically, I'd drive to 30 miles to downtown San Francisco to do a 2 minute audition. Turn around. Drive home. We're not only talking commute time and gas, but parking -- which in S.F. can be a real drag. They've agreed that even if I don't do ISDN, I can send 'em an MP3's. Good 'nuff.

If I'd have had thought about that choice about 2 years ago, I'd have a straight job today, and a more reliable source of income stream. One of the internal (in my head) conflicts I had was leaving work to do an audition at my agency in the middle of the morning or afternoon. I worked about 6 miles from my house, so having an in-house studio would have solved a lot of problems.

Today, I look at having an in-house studio as nothing more than a workstation, a place to get stuff done utilizing computing. It's like having a word processor around, to write letters and stuff. I don't want to live without one.

CC
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Andy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've hit some good points, Charlie. But the jury's still out on these virtual casting platforms. There was a time I could get a reasonable amount of work from them. But as more people sign on and pay the fees the more of a ridiculous dog pile those leads become. That $40, thirty second spot of which you spoke? More than 140 folks jumped on that one! It's pretty pathetic, when you think about it, how so many folks are willing to, well, prostitute themselves and the craft. I highly doubt I'll fork over the fee again. A person can really feel defeated relying entirely on those services. Just by the numbers alone, the win rate is extremely low. I still think the personal contact method is the best. And like any venture, slow and steady eventually wins the race.
Charlie Channel
Club 300

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear you on the virtual casting servers and the dog pile, stuff. I doubt that I'll move forward on that front in the future. The ROI -- especially in terms of time -- is just not too good for me.

I will say this, though. At least I've learned what I don't want to do.

CC
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dennis O'Neill

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:05 pm    Post subject: Home Recording Warning? Reply with quote

Just a techie note - some of the most common problems with people who voice from home are:

Distortion / room noise (studio bounce) / popping "P's" and not bothering to re-record because they didn't notice certain elements.

Using outboard gear or plug-ins to "fix up their voice" (God-Like..although, we don't really know what he sounds like voicewise..do we?)

Improper file conversion and various technical headaches.

Be careful people. There's a reason why 'studio people' exist. I'm not trying to discourage here, but trying to avoid something that compares to "anybody can voice" syndrome. I personally don't want to compare cheap, quick, in-a-snap stuff, with honest, professionally produced audio. The technology exists and for that we are grateful - but!

Bbeen, the best thing you could do is to get some 'workshop' advice from a producer, which is what you're going to do. You won't regret it and neither will your clients.

(Comments?)

-den.
Andy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much depends on where you live. I don't live in the hind end of hell, but on a clear day, I can see it from where I live. So, for me, some kind of home studio is a must. Booking agents like Voicecasting, Propulsion Media Labs and a small studio I work with in Toronto require it. Plus, I like learning the techie stuff. I have a regular client in New Jersey who has me doing stuff for him every few days. Without my own studio I'd be SOL.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

heard recently:

The only thing between hell and me is the floor.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: