VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mac help please!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cyndi
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:34 pm    Post subject: Mac help please! Reply with quote

Hi All Ye Mac Folk

Going on a few weeks of hell after my macbook pro (Tiger) died and I had to buy a new one ...bought a macbook pro again(Lion). I need help!

I have had a simple set up for years that has worked just fine .. no bells and whistles just to the point and functional and now I feel like I'm watching a foreign film without the subtitles.

Two issues :
First is my interface (Quattro... totally unrecognizable to the new computer) that is plugged into my mixer (Beringer) . I would connect the Quattro (M-Audio) into my computer via usb and that allowed me to record w/ my Shure from my booth. Apparently, the Quattro is useless now .. Any recommendations for a compatible replacement that will not cost a fortune ?

Second Issue : I have always used a very simple recording software ... again, it gets the job done... Sound Studio (on the dead macbook pro it's
Sound Studio 3). For auditions , I would plug my Samson C01U USB Studio Condenser mic directly into the computer and record auditions and do a little normalizing and noise gate expander ( this is basically a trial and error thing for me) and the auditions are fine . However, testing out the new Sound Studio 4 via a 2 week trial download is a disaster ... there is a whooshing sound .. fan like ... that I can not get rid of ... the Samson is recognized but it's the software that perhaps I'm not setting properly.

Help Help Help ... I don't know what to do ... everyone I know is PC and can't help.... and this nightmare is getting very old. Any suggestions?
I'm not a Pro Tools person and I just want to be able to use an inexpensive software that gets the job done.... this is for dry reads and auditions.... the other stuff is easy ... just push the button on the codec and let the engineers do what they do Smile

Thank you !!!! I appreciate your advice.
Cyndi Vicino
Yonie
CM

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can somehow get a free downgrade to Snow Leopard, I'd personally do that. Lion has compatibility issues that are still seen all over.

That's all the input I can give. We'll have to wait for the expert panel.
Monk
King's Row

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My .o2 on this,

I've been fighting with Lion all day and so far, don't like it.

I would install OS 10.6 (Snow Lep.) and go from there with the gear you have.

Failing that, Logic Express is from Apple now, and SHOULD work with Lion. I haven't tested it but you have to figure they would get that right.

Here's the list of m-audio interfaces that work with Lion.

http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=support.faq&ID=ff75451a78356963c9117b7e9e2977df

I didn't see your Quattro box.

The Apogee Duet 2 is qualified for Lion, and available at B&H Photo and Video for $595.oo, which may be great or break the budget.

I work with Mac's all day long and so far, I'm less than impressed with this Lion thingy. (and I'm a fanboy.)

www.monksvoice.com
Cyndi
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:49 pm    Post subject: re: mac help please Reply with quote

Yani and Monk

Thank you for your responses....I can't believe how bad this has been ...
I almost bought from B&H but bought from Adorama and thought I was
getting Snow Leopard ... I was very disappointed to see that it was Lion ...

Yeah... just bought this puppy and re : apogee another $500 + can't happen ... Everything was fine until my computer died.

I'll have to see if I can download Snow Leopard....

I'm open to any other suggestions. This is just a mess.
Cyndi
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:53 pm    Post subject: re: mac help please Reply with quote

oops ... unless you composed "new age" music years ago .. as in
Yani Smile ... I goofed with the spelling of your name ,Yonie .. sorry
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll jump on here and add my comment re Lion... I waited to upgrade (I'm usually an early adopter) because of the posted issues with the Apogee Duet. These are now supposedly fixed, but in the meantime I looked into what Lion would actually do for me. The bottom line was... very little apart from being a pain in the butt. There are still a lot of third party issues to be resolved... one of them may be the soft-pre on the Samson C01U. I actually have one on them and I dug it out and it works just fine on Snow Leopard recording into Sound Studio 4 (I love Sound Studio).

Bottom line on that is that the C01U and SS4 play nicely on a Mac... my money's on Lion being the problem. I'm guessing the Quattro would be fine on Snow Leopard.

The other main issue with Lion for me is the convoluted way you have to work with multiple screens... I'm all for full-screen mode, but when activated, the other connected screens just get wallpaper! I'm on a Mac Pro with two screens at the moment, but occasionally configure up to four (yeah, I know, but I've got two video cards and screens laying around everywhere... what's wrong with setting up a screen just as a wall clock, eh?)

I'm a fan-boy as well, but they seem to be converging OS X and iOS, and I don't think I like where it's leaving the average MacPro user.

Cheers
Peter
captain54
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Quattro is getting a bit long in the tooth and there maybe be issues running it with Snow Leopard, or Leopard for that matter...let alone Lion.

If you want to keep your old interface, one option maybe to try to pick up a copy of Tiger on Ebay (around $50) and downgrade from Lion with fresh install of Tiger. Make sure the copy from Ebay is for install on Intel machines, because there may be someone trying to pawn off a PPC copy only..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Cyndi
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

.. one of them may be the soft-pre on the Samson C01U. I actually have one on them and I dug it out and it works just fine on Snow Leopard recording into Sound Studio 4 (I love Sound Studio).
Bottom line on that is that the C01U and SS4 play nicely on a Mac... my money's on Lion being the problem. I'm guessing the Quattro would be fine on Snow Leopard.

Thank you, Peter
So glad to hear thumbs up on the C01U and SS4 .. SS is all I've ever used and I like it .... I'm so frustrated because when I purchased the new mac it was supposed to be Snow Leopard which I was happy to hear because I have only heard about problems w/Lion and this was Not a purchase I was planning on (truth: I spilled tea on my old reliable macbook(Tiger.. never upgraded) and it was
closed ... the mac bar "geniuses" said I needed an $800.00 board 'cause I couldn't get on line wirelessly and that's why I purchased a new computer ... even tho I can't go wireless but can plug directly to the computer and go on line but there's no sound .... hmmm ... so I question the need for a new board but then I don't wear a t-shirt that says "genius"..... I bought thru an authorized Apple reseller ... do you know if one can go backwards and install Snow Leopard instead?

All of you trying to help are just the best ... I really appreciate all of this input
Cyndi[/i]

Cyndi
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

captain54 wrote:
The Quattro is getting a bit long in the tooth and there maybe be issues running it with Snow Leopard, or Leopard for that matter...let alone Lion.
If you want to keep your old interface, one option maybe to try to pick up a copy of Tiger on Ebay (around $50) and downgrade from Lion with fresh install of Tiger. Make sure the copy from Ebay is for install on Intel machines, because there may be someone trying to pawn off a PPC copy only..

Yeah.. I know ... I tend to do obsolete well Smile.... I know that the Quattro
will have to be replaced .. went to the m-audio website and am a little confused what would be best to buy ... still researching ... so confusing.
Thank you!
captain54
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cyndi wrote:
[Yeah.. I know ... I tend to do obsolete well Smile.... I know that the Quattro
will have to be replaced .. went to the m-audio website and am a little confused what would be best to buy ... still researching ... so confusing.
Thank you!

Basically, there are three M-audio USB interfaces that are in the same ballpark function wise as the Quattro, and in essence have replaced the Quattro:

Fasttrack
Mobile Pre USB
Fasttrack Pro

All of these are qualified to run on Lion....we're talking anywhere from $90 to $175.. The MobilePre USB is the closest to the Quattro, and I've seen that for $120... The Fast track is one xlr input, and I've seen those for around $90, and it might just work fine for you, but I suspect the Fast track Pro or Mobile Pre would be worth it for a few bucks more..

Either way, if you want to keep running your trusty old Quattro, the only supported operating system is Tiger, of which you are gonna have to purchase a disk, either used or new to install...

So here's the question...now you have a three generations old OS on your brand new computer.... while your Quattro may happily co-exist, what other issues are you gonna have with running Tiger a year or two down the road?

I would say bite the bullet and upgrade your audio interface....you are gonna have to spend a couple of bucks for a Tiger disk, so I would say just put that toward your new Maudio interface, run Lion and be done with it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Cyndi
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

captain54 wrote:
Cyndi wrote:
[Yeah.. I know ... I tend to do obsolete well Smile.... I know that the Quattro
Thank you!

Basically, there are three M-audio USB interfaces that are in the same ballpark function wise as the Quattro, and in essence have replaced the Quattro:

Fasttrack
Mobile Pre USB
Fasttrack Pro

All of these are qualified to run on Lion....we're talking anywhere from $90 to $175.. The MobilePre USB is the closest to the Quattro, and I've seen that for $120... The Fast track is one xlr input, and I've seen those for around $90, and it might just work fine for you, but I suspect the Fast track Pro or Mobile Pre would be worth it for a few bucks more..

Either way, if you want to keep running your trusty old Quattro, the only supported operating system is Tiger, of which you are gonna have to purchase a disk, either used or new to install...

So here's the question...now you have a three generations old OS on your brand new computer.... while your Quattro may happily co-exist, what other issues are you gonna have with running Tiger a year or two down the road?

I would say bite the bullet and upgrade your audio interface....you are gonna have to spend a couple of bucks for a Tiger disk, so I would say just put that toward your new Maudio interface, run Lion and be done with it.

Thank you for narrowing it down for me ... that is really really helpful.
I am not going to even try to put Tiger on this new computer .. I would consider Snow Leopard if I could but not Tiger .... there has to be a way to make this all work.
So helpful to know what my options are for the interface.
Thanks, again!
captain54
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cyndi wrote:
[Thank you for narrowing it down for me ... that is really really helpful.
I am not going to even try to put Tiger on this new computer .. I would consider Snow Leopard if I could but not Tiger .... there has to be a way to make this all work.
!

Here's the word from my buddy Jared @ M-audio technical support:

"The Quattro is a legacy device and has been discotinued for several years; the last supported OS was 10.4.10. "

so basically, run OS 10.5 or above at your own risk... not tested, not supported...
Mike Sommer
A Hundred Dozen

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lion is a competely different animal, this is why when I read about Lion I simply did my last upgrade on my computer to 10.6.8; I will not be upgrading to Lion [10.7]until I get a new computer. (This is mostly due to the fact that I would need to upgrade a large number of programs.

As for down grading your new computer from 10.7 to say like 10.6.8- this would be impossible. As far as I know Mac can not downgrade to an OS below the OS it was shipped with. Mostly due the native drives needed to drive the computer.

Acoustics are counter-intuitive. If one thing is certain about acoustics, it is that if anything seems obvious it is probably wrong.
captain54
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Sommer wrote:
As for down grading your new computer from 10.7 to say like 10.6.8- this would be impossible. As far as I know Mac can not downgrade to an OS below the OS it was shipped with. Mostly due the native drives needed to drive the computer.

Unless you installed Lion over a previous install of 10.6,8 and rebooted into Snow Leopard from Time Machine...correct, impossible...
CC Heim
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cyndi,

I don't know the first thing about your issue, but I wanted to let you know that YOU are why I decided to get into voiceover. You probably never heard of me before, but I was a student at USF with Neil as one of my professors. He mentioned you to us in class one day and I thought, "hmmmm, that sounds like a lot of fun!"

Graduated, started working in TV, then transitioned to corporate communication positions and in the back of my mind I always thought about voice acting.

Anyhow, you can tell Neil that Connor Carson from the class of '98 says "Hello!"

Cheers,
CCH Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: