VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mac help please!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cyndi
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="CC Heim"]Cyndi,

I don't know the first thing about your issue,

Apparently, neither do I :(

but I wanted to let you know that YOU are why I decided to get into voiceover.

My goodness, I'm flattered... [b]thanks for saying hello/b]

Cyndi
Cyndi
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Sommer wrote:
Lion is a competely different animal, this is why when I read about Lion I simply did my last upgrade on my computer to 10.6.8; I will not be upgrading to Lion [10.7]until I get a new computer. (This is mostly due to the fact that I would need to upgrade a large number of programs.

As for down grading your new computer from 10.7 to say like 10.6.8- this would be impossible. As far as I know Mac can not downgrade to an OS below the OS it was shipped with. Mostly due the native drives needed to drive the computer.

Thanks ... seems like the news continues to get more discouraging ... but this is the machine I have and I'll have to find a way to make this work ... I'll try a new compatible interface and hopefully Sound Studio will work also...or defeat the purpose of having a mac by buying a cheap pc laptop
and hook up everything through it .... $hudder
Yonie
CM

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get us wrong, Lion isn't the plague or a completely untamed beast, but it has issues right now. As it stands, you'll have to get a new tool and learn the tricks for it. That has to be the worst thing though, having to teach yourself something almost from scratch.
Mike Sommer
A Hundred Dozen

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

captain54 wrote:
Unless you installed Lion over a previous install of 10.6,8 and rebooted into Snow Leopard from Time Machine...correct, impossible...

To clarify YES If you have upgraded your Mac's OS you can go back as far as the original OS that the machine was shipped with, but no further.

What I am understanding is this is a New, out of the box MacBookPro.

~~~~
It is a pain in the ass that you can't use a lot of your old drivers and software, but once you get it all worked out you'll be better off for it. I'm dreading the possibility of having to buy new software if I need or get a new Mac. But then agin that's why I have backup computers.

The latest version of Sound Studio should work with Lion, if not a fix I would assume would be coming soon since it is a Mac Only product.

You should have GarageBand in you iLife package.

Acoustics are counter-intuitive. If one thing is certain about acoustics, it is that if anything seems obvious it is probably wrong.

Last edited by Mike Sommer on Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
captain54
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cyndi wrote:
I'll try a new compatible interface and hopefully Sound Studio will work also...

That's weird.. the Mac app website has listed as the OS requirement for Sound Studio 4..., "OS 10.6.6 or later".... they don't say how much later though..

Amadeus and Twisted Wave are reportedly working in Lion..

It's not the end of the world.... there is hope
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
georgethetech
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twistedwave all the way... Get a new compatible USB interface and don't look back. I know it's painful, this happens every few years with Apple, and it sucks. It's even worse for Pro Toolers. I am still using OS 10.6.8, too. I won't touch Lion until at least 10.7.2 or 10.7.3, and even then not until I have a very good reason to do so. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
424-226-8528
VOBS.TV Co-host
TheProAudioSuite.com Co-host
TriBooth.com Co-founder
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Cyndi
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.[/quote]

Agreed ...but unfortunately , it all got "broke"... that's why I never upgraded

Downloaded the free trial for Twistedwave ... nice ... no problem other
than the same swoooshing sound that I got w/ sound studio and the samson C01U.... I don't think Lion likes the mic ... I believe Peter mention that might be an issue .... I'll be better able to test it when I get a more current usb interface so I can use my booth mic .. Thanks for the tip. I like the convenience of the the samson for quick auditions .... now I have to also figure out what usb plug in mic the Lion would like . Yikes

Gonna add one more question to this saga ..... I have noticed that there is a constant fan like hum while the computer is running ... really didn't have that problem with my older (4.5 years ) macbook pro.... could that possibly be the swooshing sound that is being picked up by the mic? Is that a normal sound or is it yet one more mountain to climb over?

I so appreciate everyone's take on this and Yonie , thanks for the encouragement ... Lion may not be the plague but it sure is a very nasty head cold.
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you still running the Samson Soft-Pre? If you are, this could be the root cause of some problems. To quote Samson...

"The SoftPre Applet is no longer available, as it is not necessary ... If you are still using SofrPre, we recommend you uninstall to prevent any interference with your System or Audio Recording software."

Cheers
Peter
Cyndi
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanted to say THANK YOU to all of you for your sound advice.

Still working on things and I will post and let y'all know when I resolve
my problems .

Ciao for Now
Cyndi
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: