VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Again: Mac help please! and PC Folk
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Sommer
A Hundred Dozen

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For you inquiring minds, here is my reply to Cyndi's PM:

Cyndi,

I'm just going to just jump right in on this one.

First I would not use the ONE's built in mic, to record anything other than office notes.

Every session, whether it is a paid gig or an audition, requires the same attention to detail and high quality. 40% to 60% of all auditions are rejected do to poor audio. An audition is your first and only time to impress a client, so like a job interview, you dress yourself up and put on your best performance.

Using the ONE's "break out" cables, the ONE becomes your computers Interface, so you can plug the output of your mixer into the Apogee ONE, or plug your mic directly into the Apogee ONE. (The ONE is both a preamp and interface combo. When you want to use the mixer or an outboard preamp, you can bypass the ONE's onboard preamp so it acts simply as an interface. OR You can plug your microphone directly into the ONE with the built in preamp engaged. This would be the best, and cleanest use of the ONE).

I would STRONGLY recommend the Duet 2, over the ONE for may reasons, but the most important the Duet 2 is a vastly better unit.

Here is some info from my blog:
http://voiceoveraudio.blogspot.com/2011/07/apogee-duet-2.html

Acoustics are counter-intuitive. If one thing is certain about acoustics, it is that if anything seems obvious it is probably wrong.
Vocalvoodoo
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I'd like to add, I've never used the Duet 2, but did have the Duet 1 and it was a great little interface. It was a super clean and quiet unit and they say the Duet 2 is even better.
Cyndi
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I finally was able to record something .... I was going to buy the Apogee One ... Need some work to pay for all this stuff before spending another $500.00 on the Duet.... but I got confused .... I got the Fast Track M-Audio .... only I have to do things differently then I'm used to .... I had to unplug my Shure (in my booth) from my mixer and plug it directly into the Fast Track and then usb into the computer ... I'm not sure why 'cause my old m-audio plugged into the mixer .... I can't get the headphones to work through the Fast Track and they work just fine when I'm in session (ISDN) and everything is plugged into the mixer. So, I'll live w/o the cans for auditions.

So... that's the story for now ... the Samson C01U can't be used 'cause it
just doesn't work well with the computer .. dunno know why.

I'll try to learn more about the Apogee One ... because I like the idea of being able to plug into my mixer in the studio so I don't have to keep unplugging my mic. I can still return the Fast Track , but at least I can record something now. I'm just a little faklempt and my brain is on overload.

None of this did well with TwistedWave so I'll just stick with Sound Studio.
I know it and it's what I've always used.

You guys have just been the BEST!!! I REALLY appreciate all your help and
expertise.

Cyndi
captain54
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cyndi wrote:
.... I can't get the headphones to work through the Fast Track and they work just fine when I'm in session (ISDN) and everything is plugged into the mixer. So, I'll live w/o the cans for auditions.

Cyndi

If you engage the Direct Montor button (push in), your headphones will take a feed from your mic direct through the audio interface,

You probably should then open up Sound Studio > Preference...and in the bottom left corner uncheck "playthrough in to out" in order to disengage the signal being monitored through the software and the computer... because you don't need it if you are monitoring through the audio interface.

P.S. This is of course, assuming you are plugging your headphones into the front panel of the Fasttrack for audition recording

Last edited by captain54 on Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Cyndi
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good ... I'll give that a try.
georgethetech
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I recognized your problem when you called today, Cyndi!
Enjoy the new Mackie 820i, you're gonna love it. It's a great upgrade from the Behringer and the Fastrack.

Let this be a lesson to all: DON'T GO LION unless you KNOW for sure all of your hardware and software are compatible.

If you must buy a Mac right now, get one from a reputable reseller with a refurbished model or New Old Stock that will be the previous generation with Snow Leopard. Apple has them for sale continuously. As long as the OS that originally came with the Mac was SL, even if it comes with Lion, you can downgrade to SL.

G
424-226-8528
VOBS.TV Co-host
TheProAudioSuite.com Co-host
TriBooth.com Co-founder
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Cyndi
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi George

Should have the Mackie this week and we'll see what happens .. had to order
from Sweetwater .. hope it all goes smoooooothyly Smile

Thanks
Cyndi
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Houston, we are recording . Everything has finally been resolved... Again, I want to thank everyone for all the advice. Greatly appreciated.

Monk , thanks for hanging in there w/ me with all the PM's and George
thank you for what became the solution.

OS Lion is now purring with the new Mackie Onyx 820i Firewire Recording Mixer (without needing a separate audio interface) and is working fine w/ SoundStudio 4. Everything is running smoothly and sounds great.

Whew!!!

Ciao for Now
Cyndi
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: