VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How important is the mic in VO?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Benjamin Stovall
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:37 pm    Post subject: How important is the mic in VO? Reply with quote

After resurrecting an old but interesting thread (http://www.vo-bb.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2033)
(responses to that thread have been moved here. resurrecting ancient threads hurts your admin in the spleen. ~db)

I was pondering over a response to a question I had by Bob Souer. He said:

Quote:
Maybe I'm way off base, but I think any decent microphone and audio interface will work. It's the stories that matter, and our telling of them. Anything that doesn't prevent the clear recording of those stories will do quite well.

If this is true, why do so many voiceoverists use such expensive microphones? Just because they can? Or is it because there are industry standards that customers have become accustomed to hearing, or something else?

I recently recorded with a Studio Projects C1 modded by OWA (Old World Audio) out here in L.A. The engineer raved about it and really wanted me to test it out. I liked it, but it cut out the low-end and accentuated the mids and highs so much, that in the end I had to spend time EQing to bring up the low end. It was endemic of the mic, though it sounded really nice, the comments I got about the raw audio was that it lacked bottom.

Now, I realize EQing is an important part of the process, but I've heard many folks comment that not much is needed with a "good mic" unless going for some kind of special effect. So does owning a U87 and the like reduce the work on the back end for VO? And where does coloration come into play when thinking about pre-amps and microphone combos?

In short, do you folks think taking all of that into consideration is just over-complicating things, or does it actually matter?

Last edited by Benjamin Stovall on Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may well be a pro-standard ball player but if you want to play pro-ball you better let everyone see your pro boots and helmet.
Benjamin Stovall
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So would you say that it's more just for show then? And that's not to downplay the point at all. If it gets me gigs I'm good with it. But, is that it?
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No it is about quality and so a quality mic is going to cost. No one really values my opinion on how my mic sounds but they have an idea about the quality it will deliver. When I set up my home studio I was told to buy the best mic I couldn't afford and the engineer pointed to a Neumann U87 so that's what I bought.
Chuck Davis
M&M

Location: Where I love to be...Between the Vineyards and the Cows.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lot's of us start "on the cheap"...and then move up. We've talked this one almost to death here but.... It all boils down to what sounds best on your voice and for the kind of performances you're attempting to record.

Philip sounds like gold on the U87. Lots of us like the MKH-416 (or 415 if your Eddie or I). Some sound like gold on other more budget friendly mic's.

Try as many as you can. Use your ears....and those of your educated audio-centric friends.

The big ticket gear is typically better....but.....what sounds best....sounds best.
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like a diamond; a microphone can help your voice shine with color, cut, and clarity (the three C's).

Color of the microphone designates whether it is to dark or to shrill or just too...

Cut of your microphone is how well it portrays your voice to the front of the mix. I could go into a lot more detail about other equipment and how those pieces help, but I won't here at this time.

Clarity = quality for the most part. This is how a microphone processes the human voice - your voice. As each voice is different so is every microphone. Your job as a VO Artist is to find a microphone which bring out the strengths of your voice and minimizes the weaknesses.

Recently my studio was broken into and all of my 'toys" stolen. I am rebuilding everything from computers to hard drives to processing gear to microphones. As I result of the loss of income from VO work I am starting over with the basics and the most inexpensive things I can get for now. One of those items is a microphone.

One of the kind people (I will not mention his name because I have not asked him if I could) here on the board has offered an inexpensive Chinese mic which I will re-voice with a new condenser capsule, upgraded electronics and to change the color of the microphone - a new paint job. Wink Once completed this mic will not sound like the perennial VO mic the Neuman U87 Gold I had but it will have an extremely low noise floor, great color, incredible cut, and good quality or clarity.

Your microphone does not need to be expensive to be good, just make sure it works for you and your voice. Find the one which works for you.

Frank F
Rick Riley
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the much touted and demeaned Sennheiser 416. That sentence alone should speak volumes on the subject. How can you have a good mic if half wouldn't use anything else and the rest wouldn't be caught dead using it. It must come down to what so many other things are based on... opinion.

My feeling is, price isn't' the point. Once you get into quality, the quality your voice demands, will dictate the money you 'need' to spend.

It's interesting you mentioned the mic you used had no low end, so you eq'd it. IMO, you can't really augment something that wasn't there in the first place. And judging by your description, I probably would have really liked that mic. Why? Because I take the low end OUT of my recordings. Why would I do that? Because I have a low voice and it was explained to me by an engineer friend of mine that bass requires power. There's only so much power in any given production. If my voice uses it, then it's going to have to take it from something else that needs it. So I cut a lot of low out of my voice and that helps my voice cut through everything else, like music beds. I don't need all that low end to highlight the fact that I have a low voice. Here's a spot to illustrate that the 'tone' of my voice is not defeated by removing a lot of the low, power stealing frequencies, from it http://vimeo.com/27588501

I've tried U87's and they are way too dark for me, as are a variety of other Neumann's, which is fine with me because it saves me a whole bunch of money. 30 years of radio had my first purchase become an EV/RE 20. Good mic, but it's kind of a 'one size fits all'. I have a back up of an AT2035. A decent mic, but side by side, the clarity of the 416 stands out.

So in the end, a 416, with my own brand of eq, is what's getting me work these days. And re the eq... in the last two years, I've never had a client ask me to provide the tracks without it. Studios are usually adamant that they want thier tracks unprocessed, but I never bring it up and neither do they. With TV, Radio, Film and Internet, I seem to have found a combination of a mic and eq that provides a sound that works for me.

Hope that helps.

www.rickrileyvoice.com
Jacob Ekstroem
Club 300

Location: A padded room with no windows somewhere in Scandinavia

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: How important is the mic in VO? Reply with quote

Benjamin Stovall wrote:
Now, I realize EQing is an important part of the process, but I've heard many folks comment that not much is needed with a "good mic" unless going for some kind of special effect. So does owning a U87 and the like reduce the work on the back end for VO?

I never EQ the stuff I do for narration and e-learning, and my mic is a ~$100 AT2035. The day I buy a $3000 U87 is the same day I can't decide on whether to wash my Ferrari or buy a new one instead. Until then my clients are quite happy with the way I sound on my AT.

EDIT: I read the old thread you resurrected, and noticed your surprise to Bob's prior choice of mic (the AT4033). As a guy who've heard Bob on that mic, I can assure you it sounds amazing with the right mic/voice combo. Which again, is why I use the cheapo AT2035 as oppose to my other mics (I have several, including the re-tubed Rode NTK in my avatar). But the AT has proven to be the best for MY voice.
Monk
King's Row

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I responded in the other older thread,

Quote:
When a thread this old is raised from the dead... Necro.

but I love talking microphones.

Basically what Philip said way back when holds true for now, U87 rules. For many others the 416 is solid.

And of course the RE-20 can handle some abuse and road work.

The trick is, the better the microphone, the better your space should be. You put a U87 in the kitchen, you'll hear the fridge, drip, cat next door...

For that mic, you need a GOOD room.

The 416 is more focused, but if you start to amp up your delivery, "Sunday Sunday Sunday!" then the room will be heard.

I'm a fan of Oktavia Mod's and the Rode NT1a as a decent starter, but once again, it's TRYING to be a U87. It will want to be in a good room as well.

So, you have a couple things to think about. What mic sounds good with your voice, and what kind of room are you recording in. I work with an engineer who sometimes can care less if you can hear the clock ticking, the client is cheap and just wants it done. (I don't like working that way)

I'm building up my space to handle my U87. After FaffCon, I'm upping my game, I love this work, have been getting busier and need a dedicated space as opposed to rushing the dog chewing the bone out of the room whenever I need to say, "Call 1800, 555,1212, once again that's ..."

but there's gold out there when it comes to microphones and technology.

What sounds good with your voice.

What kind of environment are you recording in.

What's your style of read.

Will all dictate the microphone choice.

Now excuse me, there's a bug on my Ferrari bumper....

www.monksvoice.com
Jeffrey Kafer
Assistant Zookeeper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the spirit of Mike Sommers, don't focus on the mic, Focus on the recording environment. You can have the most expensive mic in the world and if your environment sounds like crap, it won't matter how good your mic is.
Scott Pollak
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: How important is the mic in VO? Reply with quote

Jacob Ekstroem wrote:

I never EQ the stuff I do for narration and e-learning, and my mic is a ~$100 AT2035.

Jacob, you, of course, turned me on to the AT2035, which briefly became my backup mike for the much maligned RE20, which, for my voice, is a perfect fit. I recently sold my AT2035 to a friend starting out in the biz since I rarely used it, then promptly turned around and bought a Rode NT-1A off a friend who is bailing OUT of the v/o biz. Fun and games... fun and games.... Smile

But what mike do I record on about 99.999% of the time? My RE-20. Again, a great fit for me, but one size does NOT fit all.

www.voicebyscott.com
anthonyVO
14th Avenue

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your equipment will *not* get you work; Your craft will. Your equipment will only help you keep the work.

"Think on." (I heard that somewhere.)

-Anthony
DougVox
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Anthony said.
Eddie Eagle
M&M

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once the artist progresses......State of the art becomes part of the process.
Benjamin Stovall
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all for the valuable responses. It helps to take in varied opinions because it allows me to get a better picture of the way things are outside of my own preconceptions.

Here's what I've taken away from this discussion:

• Quality matters but is subjective.

• Get the best gear you can afford to do the job but, "best" is what works for you in a given situation. As you develop as an artist, better gear will follow.

• Room treatment can make all the difference and is where the initial focus should be placed regarding sound quality.

• Gear will not get you work, your skills will. Gear will help you retain the work you find.

These things have been said before, but they haven't been said to me and it's what I needed to hear right now, so thank you all very much!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: