VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Momma Bear Wants it Juuuuust Right
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Patricia Shanks
Contributor III

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject: Momma Bear Wants it Juuuuust Right Reply with quote

Made you look. OK. Here is the situation. I teach music and I (would) do my VO work in the same room. Right now, I share Travis' studio. But I would like to move my operations into my own little space in the same suite. I want it quiet for VO, but more live for my singers who need feedback on the sounds they are making as they learn. Right now it isn't enough of either for my taste.

I am "not" a Bobbi the Builder. I am not prepared to put out over $1,000 for a Whisper Booth. I guess if I were desperate I would get a saw and a hammer, or find the not so loose change somewhere. Because Travis' space is there, I can be a fussy talent and keep searching for another solution. Here's a pic. The other wall is right behind where I sit at the piano keyboard. The room has that awful office acoustic ceiling tile and a big ol' AC vent above the wall to the left.

https://plus.google.com/photos/111937052940061525091/albums/5707241933817981041?authkey=CKKfmeSZk4SnSg

I hope you can view that. I guess some kind of a tiny box or booth would be the solution. Wish I had that old fiberboard closet I had as a kid, or whatever that thing was. Ruminating...

Thanks for any thoughts.

(949) 723-4473
patricia@patriciashanks.com
patriciashanks.com
shanksfortalking.com
Limerick Lane Audio
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Limerick Lane Audio on Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:31 pm; edited 4 times in total
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Momma Bear, here is a thought... it is a lot easier to add a lively sound than it is to remove it. Simply put, bring a couple of Chinese/Japanese/American-knees three paneled screens into the room when YOU are working.

Place the screens strategically à l'oreille - "to the ear". The screens should contain some hardwood in the panels for a warm reflection sound. Fold them up and put them to the side when you are done and the room is now ready for VO.

Cost: little. Benefits: many.

And you do not need to be "Suzy the Riveter" to create the screens.

Frank F

Edit to fix my assumption: The other side of the "screens" might be covered with Aurulex - spaced appropriately off the panel (i.e.: if you have two inch Aurulex the back side of the foam should be spaced one inch off of the actual board. Think flat board, air space, Aurulex), Reverse sides for teaching, other side for VO and you have two easily portable gobo's to play nice with... or an easy version of a small booth. For a larger "booth", build another screen or two.

Now all you need do is fix the "big ol air vent" - and that is another story.

F2

Last edited by Frank F on Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
sounddguy
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather than put the screens up for the vo, why not hang moving blankets or the like over them to absorb some more sound? OR If they panels are tall
enough, hang the blankets and stretch one over the top to make you a little tent.

Not perfect, but it could sound a little better for very little.

The panels could also just be ply wood panels with hinges.

Can I have 2 cents for each idea? <G>
Eddie Eagle
M&M

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might try finding some used cubicle dividers. They are usually acoustically treated. Play around with placement until you find a good sound. You also might look for an acoustic false ceiling panel or 2.
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fwiw: i like frank's reversible gobo idea!

ricevoice
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

George Whittam had a cool DIY solution on his blog last year:

http://eldorec.com/eldoblog/2011/1/19/notes-from-the-field-matt-wiewels-home-studio.html

PVC is cheap, light, and easy to work with, and the ATS Acoustics products are terrific.
Ed Gambill
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Frank is on target, no I know he is on target.

Take the cover off the air vent or cut off the air handler (turn up or down the thermostat).

Frank do you have to use words like GOBO Wink

Post a drawing of the floor plan with correct dimensions including ceiling height and location of vents and it’s possible that you can have much more detailed information.
Monk
King's Row

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and to be fair, learning how to be a Bobbie the Building is fun! It's like crafting with power tools.

I like the Gobo idea as well. Done right it can look quite nice and be very effective.

www.monksvoice.com
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ha... Laugh Ed, you have a better word let me know. (I got a good laugh with that question) Gobo was all I could think of which described what it was or is... Maybe -- American-knees Japanese style modified Audio Screen? AJSMAS -- yeah that's it.

Frank F
Ed Gambill
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just yanking you chain. How you doing buddy. Maybe Gobo means "GoBro". But then there is the Theather Gobo and the Film Set Gobo and now the Audio Studio Gobo. Too many Gobo's Bro.
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add to that a lighting gobo, and a newspaper gobo. You are right - too many of the dern things.

FF
Patricia Shanks
Contributor III

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like your ideas, Frank. And I had already considered a wooden and plastic room divider that's now out of stock at IKEA. But it and I are about the same height. I'd still have to invent modifications... ... ...

I also like the thing Matt made. Hmmm. PVC and duct tape. What else does one need in life? But that would cut down on the "live" quality in the room when I need it to be reflective.

My latest, greatest idea is to put a curtain rod across the short side of the room, about 2 feet from and parallel to the window, before the wall cuts off on the diagonal. I could hang a medium-weight curtain and close the blinds across the window. If it were high enough, the curtain would help keep out the AC vent noise (which is now deflected the other direction by a piece of presentation board). What kind of mounts for the rod??? Hmmm. I can't really suspend the rod from the whatchacallits between the acoustic tiles, because the curtain would be too heavy. Also, I'd want to be able to remove the curtain. A top mount might make that difficult. I like the idea of one of those shower spring rods. But one thing I "was" good with on my SATs was levers and pulleys. Again, the length of the rod and the weight of the curtain might be problematic. Plus, the wall is somewhat longer than any shower space.

Thank you, everybody. I'll take all of your kind suggestions into consideration and come up with something. More kind suggestions are always welcomed.

(949) 723-4473
patricia@patriciashanks.com
patriciashanks.com
shanksfortalking.com
heyguido
MMD

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curtains can be effective, but you'll need much more than medium weight to be effective... Think velvet or chenille if you go that route. You should also look into auralex sonolite panels, which are lightweight and can be mounted with velcro, to facilitate your changing sonic needs.
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Momma Bear, think "Block Out Material" -- has acoustic properties (although minimal) and then think: IKEA for some curtain rods which are on a track, the track method distributes the weight of the curtain so there is little problem regarding weight, can be top-wall mounted, and/or ceiling mounted.

Another option which is affordable and; depending upon your tastes - still eye catching are these acoustic wall tiles for sound absorption: [url]mioculture.com/acoustic-weave-paperforms.html[/url]
they are paintable and can be set up in a myriad of design ways. (See all three styles). This does not to be used on the entire wall surface; thus allowing you the luxury of a more or less "lively" sound as your tastes desire.

Now, how to make the room "lively-er"? Mirror's are a great reflector, picture framed art with glass can be used as well. Make sure none of these are at right angles to the open space where you talent are practicing.

F2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: