VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Microport Pro vs. Shure X2U
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SoundsGreat-Elaine Singer
King's Row

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:22 am    Post subject: Microport Pro vs. Shure X2U Reply with quote

Seeing as how the Microport Pro is back ordered, how does the X2U do in comparison? One comparison review online (from 2009) actually gives a slight edge to the X2U. Does anyone here use one?

Thanks.
DougVox
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elaine, I've got an X2U, and I really like it, though I've never had the chance to compare it to a Micport Pro.

George Whittam did a comparison here.
King's Row

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Doug. I probably won't have much choice as I need it by the end of the month, and according to B&H the Microport Pro won't be available until the end of August. It's good to know someone using the Shure who is happy with it.
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two MicPort Pros and I like them a lot. However, I think I recall reading a post somewhere (Facebook, perhaps) by Melissa Ex, saying that she preferred the Shure.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one I got as a Christmas gift and I'm not sure I'm ever going to use it. I've emailed you Elaine, and if Elaine doesn't want it, anyone else like to take it off my hands?

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
King's Row

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bruce for the kind offer, but to be safe rather than sorry, I decided to order a Shure from B&H so if anyone else is looking for a Microport Pro - go for it! Smile
Tom Test
DC

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elaine, I've owned both. Here is what I wrote in my review for Amazon:

"After owning both the MicPortPro and the Shure X2u for over a year, I now have some clearer opinions on the merits and disadvantages of both units.

I recorded a sample script with both interfaces, and found that I had a slight but significant preference for the sound from the MicPortPro. It's a slightly richer and clearer sound than what I get from the X2u. The MPP is also slightly smaller than the X2u, which makes it easier to carry when traveling (I have a backpack to keep my audio gear in that is already stuffed to the gills, so smaller is better). The downside of the MPP may be quality control. The level and headphone output dials are both make loud scratchy sounds in my headphones when moved (though, crucially, that noise does NOT appear in the recorded sound file!!). It's annoying for sure, but I can live with it. But it does make me somewhat concerned about the durability of this unit.

The Shure X2u sounds very good, though not nearly as good to my ear as the MPP. It is bigger and heavier. It feels more solid and durable than the MPP, and I've had no issues with scratchy pots or anything else. However, I really dislike the controls for mic level and headphone output. They are scroll wheels without any markings at all. For me this is a potential problem. I have a few clients that demand consistent sound, and I can't be sure exactly how hot my input is without any numbers on the dials - I just have to do it "by ear." I can't just set it and forget it, but thishonestly is more an annoyance than a deal-breaker.

The good news is that you should be happy with either interface (assuming the MicPortPro doesn't suffer from QC issues). If you are willing to take a risk on the QC - and I can't say what the risk level really is - I do prefer the superior sound quality and portability of the MicPortPro. Those advantages are worth the $50 premium over the Shure X2u. "

EDIT: I may be making too much about the QC concerns with the MicPort Pro. I seem to recall George Whittam saying it was a problem with an initial batch that was corrected - or something along those lines. The MPP gets excellent reviews on Amazon, and if there were a persistent quality issue, I think there'd be a lot of complaints on Amazon.
www.tomtest.com
Ed Fisher
DC

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let us not forget the Micport Pro is also capable of 24-bit/96kHz performance. Whereas the X2u only goes to 16 bit, up to 48 kHz
Tom Test
DC

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would you ever record VO at higher than 48 Hz, 16-bit? I've never ever in my 23 years in the biz had a client ask for anything better than that. Am I missing something?
www.tomtest.com
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom,

Actually, I have a few clients now who insist on 24-bit audio.
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
georgethetech
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then just up-sample your file to 24bit and send it along... They'll never hear the difference. Here's an explanation about bit rate.
424-226-8528
VOBS.TV Co-host
TheProAudioSuite.com Co-host
TriBooth.com Co-founder
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had game audio guys ask for 24 bit native because of the incredible processing they need to do with some files. The denser the audio, the less likely it is to artifact.
vkuehn
DC

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

soundgun wrote:

Then just up-sample your file to 24bit and send it along... They'll never hear the difference. Here's an explanation about bit rate.

I'm very hesitant to even give the appearance of arguing with The Guru in our midst, but I have chased after this topic or more than one occasion. When they get into the Nyquist "theology" they get over my head. But I can tell you this: after reading the arguments on this topic, I smell FOLKLORE on both sides of the argument.

In the original capture and digitizing of the sound and in the reproduction of the sound, the argument in this link sounds pretty solid. You can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear. HOWEVER. If I am going to be doing severe and serious "grinding" of the file with equalization, compression, noise reduction and other such issues, I want to either capture the file in extra bit depth (and maybe data rate BPS) or I want to convert the file to higher bit depth, do all the grimy processing, and convert it back down to where the customer wants it. All this stuff about dithering and aliasing happens when a calculation in the process gives us a value that is between distinct bits so arbitrary assignments and added noise is put in. If I have more bits at play, the "rounding errors/noise addition" takes place way out there in the bit depth where it has less effect on eventual final product.

Aruging this topic is a little bit like trying to have a civil discussion about religion. The wheels eventually come off the wagon.

When someone gives me a grimy old family photograph that was printed from a low resolution, grainy negative, I do the same thing. I convert the photo to astronomical bit depth and resolution, do surgery with Photoshop, and then bring it back down to practical resolution depth.

Maybe someday I will meet the person who can convince me there isn't some of the same thing going on in audio.
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sampling rate issue comes up again and again. There is no doubt that 24-bit files have a higher resolution, however a lot of it depends on the final product. I can see the argument for 24 bit if further processing is to be done and the client needs to start with "the best possible". For the vast majority of what I do no one is going to know the difference between 16 & 24 bit. I don't like to up-sample because it seems like cheating a bit if the customer has requested 24. Audiobooks, web videos, eLearning etc. - 16 bit is fine and the difference becomes purely theoretical. The comparison to colour is good... 16 colours, 256 colours, hundreds of thousands... or millions. There's a law of diminishing returns here.

That being said, I usually do 24 bit all the time except for audiobooks. I have no storage space issues but the difference in file size and the time taken to process or transfer hours of raw audio can become a factor.

There's a definite theoretical difference... and maybe sometimes the theory is pushed and becomes a practical issue in the real world... but for the most part I personally think we're in the realms of the audiophiles who pay $100 a foot for gold speaker cables.

However, there are those who say they can hear the difference between a 44.1kHz and a 48kHz sampling rate, and that spotting 16-bit is easy. Personally, I'm doubtful... or maybe that's just because I can't.
vkuehn
DC

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At one time I ran "a big honkin computer" for a "big honkin car dealer". It was a building full, actually, FIVE buildings full of very coloroful people.

We had a tune-up mechanic who would lecture the Mr. Goodwrench people when we sent him to the training center for the latest new model info.

This mechanic would go to the dispatch window, pick up his next assignment, and head for the parking lot to find it. On the way out the door he would always offer to wager: "I'll drive the car into the shop and before I open the hood, I will tell you what brand of spark plugs are in the car, just from the way it drives."

Some audio folks appear to be equipped with ears that are about that sensitive. Maybe when I was quite young, maybe I was almost in that category. (I drove a lot of broadcast engineers nuts with requests for mic preamp tube replacements... and drove ATT nuts about noise on the network feed.)

But who has that kind of hearing? One in 500? One in 10,000?

My hearing may not be what it once was.... but I still enjoy working my way through the logic and science of how audio technology works... in theory!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: