VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

They actually suggest you buy egg cartons. R U kidding me?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee Gordon wrote:
Bob Bergen wrote:
I absolutely think you know when you are demo ready.

I completely agree, you know when you're ready. What I think is more problematic is, knowing when you're not ready. For a large number of people, I'm afraid that knowledge only comes in retrospect (if at all).

Ah, this I do agree with, Lee! And it's another byproduct of the online-ification of the vo industry. People just don't know any better. This is why I always suggest that, no matter where you live, you approach your career as if you are pursuing in a major market. Demand the best from yourself, from training to marketing. Research the demos from the top talent in NYC, LA, and CHI. Study with those that the most successful studied with. Have marketing tools such as a website that mirrors those of the top talent. Because if you are the only person in your small market doing this, you will stand out miles ahead of your local competition. And, odds are better that you will fit in with the major players.

And all of this is easily applied because of the online-ification of VO. You just have to be smart about it. You can't look for the fast and easy way. Well, you can. If your goal is to dabble. But I rarely, if ever, find dabblers. Just people who want to take their career as far as they can, but when questioned they eventually admit that they haven't done even 10% of what they should/needed to do for an abundance of excuses. Most of it is financial. From not wanting to spend money, to just wanting to make money. DON'T DO THIS FOR THE MONEY!

Voicebank lists every agent. The starred * actors have websites. Surf it all! Email actors with the career you want to have and ask advice, from coaches to demo producers. But most aren't willing to go the extra mile. They don't look any further than the fastest, easiest, cheapest, or closest options. And, many don't feel worthy to reach out to working professionals. Get over it!!!!! The worst thing you will hear is "no" and I doubt you will hear that. VO peeps are pretty awesome and generous! It's no secret I called Mel Blanc at his home when I was a kid to get advice. I didn't think then or now that this was out of the ordinary or ballsy. If you want something, go to the top!

The most successful in any business have zero excuses. "What else can I do?" That is their mantra. But many pursuing also don't want to hear the truth. Get over that as well!!! Check your ego at the door. There is always room for improvement.

Going back to my first demo, I did not think I was ready. But, I had a teacher tell me I was. I'm not the pro in this picture, she was. But I knew I wasn't ready. I had zero acting technique. I did a bunch of voices, but had no skills in creating characters. I would "try" at the mic, rather than organically "do" at the mic.

But the difference is the career suicide of today where people post online prematurely. This is a very unforgiving business. It's even been unforgiving to me. Here's an example. Years ago I booked a Nike commercial as Porky for The Super Bowl. The day of the session I had a cold. The ad agency interpreted my lack of voice as my lack of ability to do the character. So, they held Porky auditions. (FYI-I've had to re-audition for this character 4 times in the past 23 years! Don't get me started!!) When my agent told me they were holding auditions, she suggested I audition under an assumed name, just to see what happens. They were very clear they didn't want to hear me as they heard from the session Porky just wasn't in my repertoire. I auditioned under an assumed name, got the gig, and was one happy pig.

Bless my agent! She was willing to take a risk. An essential thing in business as well. You must risk if you ever want to jump to the next level.

The internet is a wonderful tool, that I wish I'd had when I was starting out. I wish I had more time in the day today to do the marketing I need/want to do online. In one day I can reach literally 100s of buyers. I only need one to change my life. But you must be online savvy. I had yet another agent send out a warning this week telling actors not to post what they've auditioned for or booked. Even those hints to friends can bite you in the ass. "Think good thoughts! Got a HUGE callback today! Can't talk about it!!" That's not PR, that's bragging. You must assume anyone and everyone sees every posting. From your friends to the ad execs you are about to read for in your callback. PR is essential. It can get you another gig! Bragging will get you a pat on the back, but it can also damage a career relationship. Actors are getting fired and dropped by their agents daily for this kind of social network posting. And, there are even some agents guilty of doing this as well. Rarely in the major markets. Again, they don't know any better. But very few do this. Treat every audition or job as if you signed a NDA.

Now, you should get in the habit of promoting your career. When you work on something others can see or hear, create a campaign much like the studios do to promote an upcoming tv show or movie. Because of the internet, we have at our finger tips our own built in publicist. But publicize, don't brag!
Gregory Best
The Gates of Troy

Location: San Diego area (east of Connie and south and east of Bailey)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great insight Bob and Lee and....

greg@gregorybest.com
JBurgess

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is one of the reasons I am sooo happy I am here!
Scott Pollak
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, not to derail things too much by drifting back to the main thing that J.S. posted about, but ironically, a friend of mine who works in local Atlanta radio just posted this on FB this week. Apparently they're all thrilled about the 'new soundproofing' they have in their studio. No, I'm not making this up.

www.voicebyscott.com
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I understand the cardboard containers as lame as that may be, but styrofoam plastic? They no put on thinking cap.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, i laffed & laffed.

Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I particularly like the way they use the non-dimpled lids as well Smile

My sigh is drowned out by Todd's laugh.
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least they took the eggs out first. Shocked
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

imagine the collective cholesterol in that place!

georgethetech
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only use organic, grass fed egg cartons in my studios... But that photo is priceless, I am so stealing that for a Whittam's World!
424-226-8528
VOBS.TV Co-host
TheProAudioSuite.com Co-host
TriBooth.com Co-founder
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are egg flats. Much more efficient than using cartons.

Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Lance Blair
M&M

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eggactly, Lee...I bought oodles (a van full) of Egg Flats for my band's recording space ages ago and it definitely helped.
Scott Pollak
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there certainly must be some degree of merit and acoustical absorption/deflection in the cardboard ones, but styrofoam? And on top of that, using the FLAT surfaces???

Remember when all we did in radio studios was put carpet on the walls? And it worked pretty well, too.

www.voicebyscott.com
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SLIGHT threadjack here --- but ---

i was in a local radio station last week with my radio mentor who is retiring in a couple of weeks. burlap-ish fabric covering the walls - and under that - owens corning pink fiberglass insulation. i asked him if he ever worried about the off-gassing and he said "huh?" the morning girl in the studio next door? cancer. could be coincidence.

SoundsGreat-Elaine Singer
King's Row

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pardon me while I reminisce.

Egg cartons remind me of one of my very early VO gigs when I was.still living in Jerusalem in the 80s. The "studio" was an open room with a desk and a mic and some sort of tape system. The room was was covered, walls and ceilings, with egg cartons.

The recording took place the day after Yom Kippur. The studio was located in a religious neighbourhood. Now, one of the biggest mitzvahs (fulfillment of a religious commandment) was to start building a succah (a little hut used during the Feast of Tabernacles or Succot that starts about a week after Yom Kippur) immediately after Yom Kippur.

So here we were in our egg carton lined studio having to stop every time someone fulfilled their mitzvah by hammering together their little succah. Of course the script was long form; but somehow we managed and with a lot of stops and starts got through the copy.

Ah yes, the good old days Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: