VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

voices.com price quote generator
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeffrey Kafer
Assistant Zookeeper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahahahahahaha!

I just entered your basic 100,000 word audiobook and it gave me a great quote of $133,000. Basically, if I land an audiobook gig through voices.com, I really only need to do one per year to make solid living. Oh, and if the words are "hard", tack on another $30k!

Score!
Lance Blair
M&M

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Voices. I'm going to score an Audiobook this year and buy myself an entire neighborhood in Detroit.
heyguido
MMD

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Gobsmacked

For those of you who have trouble following Bish's colorful vernacular...

We humbly submit this helpful reference guide...

http://www.lifehack.org/articles/lifestyle/simple-british-slangs-you-probably-should-start-using.html

Laugh
Foog
DC

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It ain't the Brit slang that has me all confuzzled. And it ain't the spelling (since we Canuckistanis spell all British and correct-like). It ain't even the Red Dwarf references in his sig (cause yay Red Dwarf!). It's the fact that they eat smoked fish. For breakfast. 'Tis downright disconcertin' to the innards to even contemplate such a thing! I wish it weren't true, but this is no red herring I tell you!

cheers,
Andrew Fogarasi
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What, you've never had lox & bagels for breakfast? cool
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Foog
DC

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee Gordon wrote:
What, you've never had lox & bagels for breakfast? cool
Also a bit weird to mine eyes, or belly as it were. Though there used to be a great all-you-can eat kosher breakfast joint in Toronto where I did partake once or twice. But I was in my twenties and my judgement was clouded by... things. Don't get me wrong. I love seafood. Madly. Can't get enough of it. But I still can't wrap my head and taste buds around eating it for breakfast.

...sorry about that. If I keep up these diversions I'm going to have to start paying dues to the threadjackers union!

cheers,
Andrew Fogarasi
CarynClark
MMD

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10% SurePay fee missing - good note, Lee.

I actually like SurePay, b/c I have been screwed out of payment when I've not used it. However, it does bug me that the clients don't typically seem to realize that we have to account for that fee in our quote. They also don't seem to realize we pay a subscription fee to be there. Not that it matters to them, I guess. But I hate being dinged twice. 10% is an awful lot in camparison to other percentages one pays in life for PayPal, etc.

That said, I just re-upped on voices.com. It's definitely worthwhile, quirks and all. I've not been on voice123 for years, though. Just not sure I should go back down that road...

"A positive mental attitude and having faith in your ability is quite different from being irresponsible and downright stupid." - Dave
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, say what you will about SurePay, but the name does accurately reflect the benefit: you do the job and you are sure to get paid. I just completed my -- gasp -- 85th SurePay job. In each case, it was the client's idea, not mine. The one time a guy offered to use SurePay and I told him it wasn't necessary, he stiffed me. And I am currently owed about three grand by a couple of clients who started out with SurePay but then went "off the grid" for some subsequent jobs. I may ask Erik to drop the hammer on them, so I'll end up paying the 10% anyway.

But it would really be nice if Voices.com were a little more transparent about the fee. Ideally, there would be a check box asking the job poster if he or she were willing to pick up the cost of the SurePay fee. It would make them all aware that such a fee exists, and it would give us a better indication of which clients were less likely to try to nickel & dime us.

While we're at it, I wouldn't mind if the P2Ps also offered job posters the following options:

1. Slate
2. No Slate
3. What's a Slate?
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
ricevoice
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee Gordon wrote:
But it would really be nice if Voices.com were a little more transparent about the fee. Ideally, there would be a check box asking the job poster if he or she were willing to pick up the cost of the SurePay fee. It would make them all aware that such a fee exists, and it would give us a better indication of which clients were less likely to try to nickel & dime us.

^^^^^
THIS!!! I just explained this to a client yesterday... she's been using voices.com for years and had no idea they were double-dipping with the fees.
Gregory Best
The Gates of Troy

Location: San Diego area (east of Connie and south and east of Bailey)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did they take the price quote generator down? It doesn't work from my laptop. I wanted to play too. wawawaaaa

greg@gregorybest.com
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems like the generator has been taken down. Shame. It's so much fun when someone actually gives you the stick to beat them with.

As for the escrow notifications. They are never going away, and Voices are never going to make it any more transparent. I understand the arguments both for and against... it's the compulsory nature of it that is irksome. What I do, is always write my quote in the text of my reply, with a clear indication that this is subject to a Voices.com escrow fee. Something like:

My bid for this job is $500. This is subject to an additional 10% escrow fee applied by Voices.com for their SurePay service.

It may not be perfect, but it's the best I can do and makes me feel better about the whole SurePay debacle.
bransom
DC

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bish, I like that method of calling out the SurePay fee in the quote. The clients have no idea that we're eating that each time. I'm gonna start doing that.

On a side note, it really does make sense for Voices to work to push rates up, whether it's with a simplistic calculator or something more realistic, since 10% of a higher rate = a lot more profit for them, too.
SoundsGreat-Elaine Singer
King's Row

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always included SurePay in my quote. Something like, the fee for this is 350, with SurePay that is 385.
MooreVoices
Contributor II

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
If Voices really wanted to help everyone they would have this blank for producers to fill in on every job:

Where will this play?:_________________

Answers could be things like Cable TV in "greater Poughkeepsie", Radio in "lesser Antilles", the Web, internal use only, network TV.

THAT would help talents make more realistic bids too.

B

...this, through and through!

Jeffrey Kafer wrote:
Hahahahahahaha!

I just entered your basic 100,000 word audiobook and it gave me a great quote of $133,000. Basically, if I land an audiobook gig through voices.com, I really only need to do one per year to make solid living. Oh, and if the words are "hard", tack on another $30k!

Score!

I...can't......breathe, LOL!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: