VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Awards... Awards events... Feeling left out? Glad you are?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far I've managed to give two away. One to a friend to wear whilst decorating the apartment and the other for Jasmin (pronounced Yass meen) to use as nightwear, the latter looks much better in it than I. Gotta be my favourite T-shirt model
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

juliaknippen wrote:
a $150 entry fee was worth the risk to experiment and see if a nomination could generate some good marketing buzz for me and my business,

And congratulations to you! Hope it works for you. And hope you win.

Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
juliaknippen
Club 300

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Lee - don't worry, I'm not holding my breath Smile
Chuck Davis
M&M

Location: Where I love to be...Between the Vineyards and the Cows.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more I think about this, the more value I can see in it. Maybe I haven't and may never participate but, best of luck to the many friends that have submitted and have been nominated. Can't say I wouldn't be as excited as hell if I were to be a nominee.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These particular awards are of no value from a career/business point of view. If you look at them in isolation they are meaningless. In placing that on record my intention is reality and not to be unkind to the organisers or nominees. They generate revenue, raise profile and the event must be great fun. Guys look smart and the girls get to pick their best posh frock.

For a few weeks I have been heavily promoting my T-Shirts and yes, about 40 of them exist. With exception of the two I gave away to friends the rest remains in a cupboard. No one wants them. No one. What's the point? NO ONE WANTS SOMETHING OF VALUE or the see no value in something worth around $10. So what's that got to do with a MAJOR AWARD? The value thereof. There isn't any but you can use the nomination and hopefully the award itself to give you a radar image.

People believe that "First you have to think differently" is some smart ass slogan, it isn't.
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as i mentioned earlier - i think the shirts are HI-larious -- ship me one and i will wear it while i think differently ... and drink.

Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gregory Best wrote:
I am not trying to undermine those like Anthony and Philip who actually accomplished something worthy of recognition, but I think it is a misnomer to call something "an award" where you pay a fee to nominate yourself and must pay to attend the award gala. I think that is like buying a lottery ticket for a chance to claim you are somehow special and can put it on your resume without really earning it.

Just another method of separating you from your money. No thanks.

Here's the deal. The Oscars, The Emmys, all awards have entry fees. Actors are a very small percentage of The Oscars and The Emmys. For top celebs the networks and the studios pay their entry fee. But this is a small overall percentage. The majority of the actors who compete in these awards are non celeb and below the line talent, such as editors, costumers, make up artists, etc. They also self submit and pay the entry fee. Most buyers don't pay for most of them.

But actors are almost 100% of the participants in this vo awards. Like The Emmys, to be considered you submit yourself. This is the process. Always been this way. There's no reason for those not invested in the awards process to know this. Now, the big difference is, if you are a member of The Television Academy, you can submit for free. Perhaps as these vo awards grow and build the same caliber of sponsors they will adopt this same policy.

The nice thing about all awards is, you don't have to participate. But these awards do carry clout. With CESD, SBV, Disney, CBS, etc., beginning to participate and take note, like all new awards when they started out, this one needs to grow. They certainly are not for everyone. But often we don't see the value until it touches our lives.

It took years for the industry to find value in The Emmys. The movie industry thought they were a joke and would never catch on. Almost 30 years ago FOX was considered a joke and actors were reluctantly settling taking a job on that network. Today, most would kill to be on FOX. June Foray started The Annie Awards over 40 years ago as a casual banquet dinner, as the industry didn't recognize animation excellence. Today, they are The Oscars of animation. But it took years for the industry to catch on. Now every major studio spends a fortune in PR trying to get Annie recognition.

Allow these vo awards to grow. And for those who find value or win, don't take that accomplishment away from them. Support your fellow actors. No award is perfect. The day after each awards show the producers are hard at work to improve them for next year. They are always a work in progress. The only constant is, unless you are celebrity enough to have a network or studio behind you, you submit yourself and pay an entry fee.
Bailey
4 Large

Location: Lake San Marcos... north of Connie, northwest of the Best.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
below the line talent

Finally... a grasp within my reach!
VO-BB Member #00044 W00T
AOVA Graduate 02/2004 ;
"Be a Voice, not an Echo."Ninja
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If one of my best friends had a party she would make an effort. The food would suck, really suck, and the booze would have to cost 80 cents more per bottle just to be thought cheap and nasty. All her friends would show up, bring bottles of wine, beer, spirits and some of the most delish home made food this side of the other side. Everyone would have a wonderful time.

Any award may or may not be of value, that is up to the recipient/nominee. Attend an award ceremony with the attitude that the people you meet are not of value they are priceless.
juliaknippen
Club 300

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philip Banks wrote:

Any award may or may not be of value, that is up to the recipient/nominee. Attend an award ceremony with the attitude that the people you meet are not of value they are priceless.

Thank you for this reminder.
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The big difference here: Oscar and Emmy wins can literally bring you fame and fortune because the big studios, producers, and millions of ticket buyers pay attention. An American VO award that few who work outside of a voice booth know about? I'm thinkin' they're a nice little ego stroke and not much more.

If I won one would I put it on my shelf? Sure. Would I post about it? Sure. Would it increase my bank balance?

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the thing that bothers me a little is that these new voice awards are born out of the idea of having awards as an end in themselves. When you look at the Academy, it was an advocacy group interested in the well-being of its members before it instituted the awards. I cannot talk to the Emmys because I haven't done the research... but I do know there are seven different types and twenty different regional sets... as Oprah would say "Everyone gets an Emmy!" Sorry, I didn't mean to devalue them at all, but they seem to be somewhat ubiquitous... and yes, I would cherish one! These new awards seem to be all about putting on a posh frock or a tuxedo and playing at Hollywood... they have no pedigree... and I still have a big issue with awards for demos... it should be about work done... the demo is a means to an end, not an end in itself.
Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what you are referring to with your Emmy mention. You might be referring to NATAS, which is responsible for among other things local news Emmys and The Daytime Emmys. I'm on the board of Governors at The Television Academy, which is responsible for The Primetime Emmys. NATAS and The Television Academy are two totally separate organizations that share the Emmy brand. They have very different cultures. One of the biggest difference is, if you are a member of The Television Academy your Emmy entry is free. If you are a member of NATAS you still have to pay your entry fee. And if you are a member of NATAS and win, you have to purchase your trophy. If you are a member of The Television Academy and win a NATAS Emmy, The Television Academy purchases your award for you. (I know, it gets complicated)

The Oscars were started by Louie B Mayer. As a studio head, his strategy was to once a year award his employees, the actors, producers, etc., with a statue in a way to win them over and gain more control over their lives, both personal and professional. They eventually became what we know of today. But it took many years.

It took years for The Emmys to gain respect as the movie industry found them to be a joke by awarding something that comes through a piece of furniture in your home.

With each awards honor, be it The Tony, Emmys, etc., there is no pedigree at the start. Just an idea by one or more to honor excellence. All with PR and political agendas as well. They either catch on or they die, like CableAce.

The fact of the matter is, this vo award does have clout to those it has clout for. You may not see the results of that until it happens to you. For that matter, there are some where an Oscar nomination has no clout or purpose. Google Marlon Brando.

Should there be an award for demos? Perhaps not. But time will tell if this category stays. The Emmys used to have "best live program" and "best kinescope program." Time, industry, and demand will decide what should stay relevant and what needs to go. Until then, this award show has demo awards. I'm sent at least a dozen demos a day to critique. Trust me, the majority wouldn't get nominated for anything.

Awards are always evolving, changing, and improving. This year, for the first time ever, The Television Academy had two Creative Arts Emmys. In previous years, this was one (up to) 4 hour show. The goal was to keep it moving rather than provide entertainment value and a platform for the winners to have their deserved time on stage to shine. It took a lot of forethought and planning, convincing of the board to approve 2 awards, and a superb producer to make it work. Going in, we were well aware that it may not work. And if this had been the case, we'd just go back to how it's always been. But it was a big success. It took the risk of just doing the 2nd award to find out if it would work or not.

Everything has clout if it has clout for you. And I'm telling you right now, with the caliber of CESD, SBV, CBS, Disney, etc., participating in this vo award today, the clout will just grow and grow. And, the content will improve and improve.

But for whomever it's not right for, that's fine, too!
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"And the Academy Award for Best Screen Test goes to ..."

I agree that giving awards for demos is a bit silly. I also think there are too many sub-categories, which strikes me as just a way to bolster the entry fee tally, or perhaps to insure that more people walk away with a prize (and have a reason to attend the gala).

That said, I think it is perfectly fine for our business to have its own set of awards. Despite the fact that there are fees, nobody is being forced to participate against his or her will. People do appreciate the recognition, especially if it comes from their peers. And there is some promotional value attached to awards, even if the targets of that promotion don't know exactly what the awards represent.

Two years ago, I made some comments about these awards that were less than glowing (prompting Joan Baker to unfriend me on Facebook). My issue was not with the awards in and of themselves, but, at the time, they were new and had no track record, and I thought it was premature to treat them like they were on a par with Emmys and Oscars. I think Rudy and Joan have done an excellent job in establishing credibility in such a short time, and the third annual awards probably have achieved the legitimacy I didn't think they deserved when they were fresh out of the box.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: