VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do any of you actually switch mics?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlanTaylor wrote:
My TLM 103 arrived today. Just gave it a test run. Wow!

It's a good mic. Just stay away from the TLM 103 haters on gearslutz. cool
Chuck Davis
M&M

Location: Where I love to be...Between the Vineyards and the Cows.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I guess I'm going to experiment a little with multiple mics. Picked up a "Baby Bottle" for short money. Going to try that with the M5, mostly just for fun. The 416 through the John Hardy pre is the winner for most everything here though. Didn't think I'd ever find a pre that sounded sweeter than the M5. I've got to play with the positioning of the "Baby" to, hopefully, find it's sweet spot.
melissa eX
MMD

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bish wrote:

Edit: Crap. I can get the u87ai (no shock mount because the Neumann shock mount is horrendously overpriced) for $2,900 ($3,200 list less 10% WoVO discount) at Sweetwater.

I hate you all... so does my bank manager Wink

But I don't - I LOVE you all. I'll play the enabler here and cheer Peter on. It's completely self-serving. If Peter has the u87 I can seriously test it -outside of a big Manhattan studio - on my voice and his dime. It's a win-win the way I see it.
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

melissa eX wrote:
... on my voice and his dime. It's a win-win the way I see it.
It's nice to know I serve some purpose in life!
All this is on the back burner because the pound took such a massive dump all over my finances. Brexit has cost me at least ten Neumanns Shocked
JohnV
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
I have a CAD E100S and a Sennheiser 416 on two separate Luxo scissor arm stands

B

Ok... ya got me... what the heck is the pop filter over the shotgun!!!
JohnV
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Bentley here, Still on the common-man's 'what-i-got' strata with the 451/ck8 and bouncing between the 4033/4050, RE27 and, once-in-a-fun-while, the 639b antique.

Just picked up the Aston HALO and am knitting my brow over the shotgun there...
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnV, the pop filters come from here: http://www.thehookstudios.com/filters.html

Like most pop filters you can fool it and pop when you're real close or really plosive, but otherwise it catches almost everything. I'm happy with it. The CAD mic has one as well as my GrooveTubes.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
MBVOXX
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I changed mics today for the first time in a while. The MKH50 arrived today so I put it on the boom and before I got it dialed in a client sent me a revision script with 4 lines to revise. I had recorded the original VO with the U87/M1/1176 so I thought I'd try to match it with the 50. It took a few min, a few different signal chain adjustments, and a few takes but I was able to match it perfectly. So being pleased with that I left the Sennheiser on the boom all day and worked with it. Similar to the 416 but so much better sounding, I positioned it overhead aimed downward toward the chin at about 10 inches away and ran it thru the Hardy and the 1073 and I think I like the 1073 better. Will work with it more tomorrow though and try it with some tube pre amping.

Update: Ran the 50 thru the Fearn yesterday and the results are stellar!
Everything always sounds better thru the Fearn.
MBVOXX
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update on the MKH50. I've used this mic exclusively for a month now and found that, like most mics do, it sounds great thru the Fearn VT1 pre.
I sold my 416 about a year ago and still can't figure out why I miss it. But many months ago I got to demo a 50 at another studio and was left with a wow factor that I couldn't disregard.
For now it stays on the boom and handles everything. I ended up using the Stedman with it, which works just fine.
Today I had a revision for a TV spot I'd recorded with my road rig in a travel trailer the week after Thanksgiving, originally done with the Gefell M930, and was able to match it almost perfectly with some pre & comp adjustments & working the mic a little closer. So far I'm liking it!
JohnV
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what, if any, processing goes on YOUR end of things for a read... so the client only gets what you set up as a staring point? I am used to the client wanting dead straight off the mic since decisions about getting the voice to sit right involving dynamics and EQ tend to be very dependent on how the spot gets mixed in post.
MBVOXX
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnV wrote:
what, if any, processing goes on YOUR end of things for a read... so the client only gets what you set up as a staring point? I am used to the client wanting dead straight off the mic since decisions about getting the voice to sit right involving dynamics and EQ tend to be very dependent on how the spot gets mixed in post.

With the Fearn preamp, I apply a mild 3:1 compression to tame the peaks. No EQ. You are correct in that editors and mixers will EQ and fine tune the track for their mix based on their reference monitors and room. This has been my process from day 1.
With an 1176, which is my alternate Comp unit, 4:1 is the lowest setting, which also works very well.
cjadams

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally agree Ben is brilliant and very paitent.. when i go off the deep end with questions... they are like crack. way to easy to buy stuff with 3 easy payments.... though not sure if i have a VIP statis meand very important person.. or .. a PITA lol. '

Jackedvo wrote:
Quote:
Any my Sweetwater rep will be thanking you guys soon

Simply the best customer service. I love companies that give a hoot.

Email: voiceover@cj-adams.com
Phone: 347 868 6423 (EGR-TO-VOICE)
Skype/Twitter: cjadams_voices

Thank you for your business...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: