VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Coaches specializing in Narration and promos
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chuck Davis
M&M

Location: Where I love to be...Between the Vineyards and the Cows.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just popping my head up out of the gopher hole after reading about this thread on Facetube. Forgot how much fun...and how challenging this site can be. Been a while since I've had the opportunity to enjoy Banksey's unique perspective and eloquence.

Oh and....Hey guys!
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Facetube"??

Surely you don't mean there's another VO forum.
Chuck Davis
M&M

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask Phillip. I believe that was his invention. An homage on my part. Smile
Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck Davis wrote:
Ask Phillip. I believe that was his invention.

No doubt.

I get a good 60% of my business from social media networking. If you don’t know how to use/work it, you are missing out.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me it's existing contacts, producers, directors and agents. When it's REALLY quiet, 8th June 1968 was a bitch of a day, I write 26 Bluebird TM on a piece of paper and place it on my right hand monitor. By the end of the day I will have done at least 3 jobs.

Social Media is great for two things, 1 and 1(a). Twitter is useful for losing anything written of any significance in about 2 mins and Facebook is the stuff of Greek mythology; full of legends, monsters, wing-ed beasts from the cauldron of Hades. Like most promises made by the Devil TM he will eventually reveal himself and call in the debt owed to him. Forfeit your soul to read "I just gotten bookend to do an awesome job, sorry NDA so fewer details later - Yay go me!" or see the latest photo of a Kitten being sacked by POTUS for looking a bit Mexican? Not me. The upside is it does take being Friends with people you don't like just to progress professionally to a whole new level! Thanks to Social Media we are ALL middle class.
Chuck Davis
M&M

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Bergen wrote:
If you don’t know how to use/work it, you are missing out.

Linkedin is my focus for Social Media marketing at the moment. To me, it looks like the most useful of the bunch.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck Davis wrote:
Ask Phillip. I believe that was his invention. An homage on my part. Smile

I know, I know.

I just wanted to say something about "another forum". Old timers here will remember when there was some kind of upstart "Other" forum.

"There's another VO forum?"
Chuck Davis
M&M

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah! I do remember that,
I actually thought the "other forum" thing was part of your signature.
Tre M.
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting chat here...

Source Connect: http://source-connect.com/tremovo
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob - two questions - 1) via social media, is it coaching business (one audience) or voice-talking business (a completely different audience), and (2) do you think the lead is generated on social media, or social media was used as the conduit to get to the person they knew they wanted anyway?

feel free to ignore the question - the reason i ask is this -

some years ago i was part of an AT&T study on yellow pages advertising. the study showed a large percentage of people (i forget the actual numbers) believed that to find a good plumber, for example, you go to the yellow pages, because that is where the best plumbers are. what actually happened in most cases was - i need a plumber, so i ask my neighbor who recently used a plumber about his guy - was he good? was he on time? was he fair? if the response is positive, i go to the yellow pages & look up the phone number. then, when a surveyor asks "where did you find your plumber?" the reply is "he's in the yellow pages".

and so it might go - "you need someone to talk out loud for money? why, you need that bergen fellow. i have his email in my handbag somewhere ... oh well, he's on facebook, get in touch with him there."

no judgement - just trying to drill down a bit more on this social media thing.

Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Target marketing. This involves not blindly accepting everything other people would like you to believe. Testing the questions, the answers and the reasons for the answers is mission critical.

I once did a TV promo for the BBCs top soap.

"It's the story everyone is talking about ..."

Ratings for Eastenders at that time were around 8 million. UK population 60 million. Everybody?

Last edited by Philip Banks on Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know you are asking Bob, but please allow me to butt in. Social Media works for me as a means to get work because I am either IN professional forums or I RUN professional forums.

I'm asked for advice quite often-- and as a result, I'm also asked to manage or be in projects.
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deirdre wrote:

"There's another VO forum?"

In case it was, in part, a serious inquiry, Bruce posted a link to this discussion in one of the Facebook VO groups, which prompted Chuck, and possibly a few others, to pop over here and check it out.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

todd ellis wrote:
bob - two questions - 1) via social media, is it coaching business (one audience) or voice-talking business (a completely different audience), and (2) do you think the lead is generated on social media, or social media was used as the conduit to get to the person they knew they wanted anyway?

Good questions, Todd. I don't use social media to market my vo workshops, unless it's the occasional weekend workshop. I only do a couple of those a year, and many years I don't do any. My LA class has a 4 year wait list, so no need to promote that. Now, I am doing a VO Cruise with Mary Lynn Wissner next January which we are promoting on social media.

But I use social media for vo work. And I use it practically every day. Here's an example of what I did just this morning. I did a gig yesterday. With the names of the buyers I worked with, I then went on a variety of social media platforms: Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn. I searched the buyers I worked with. Between the 3 I found another 3000 plus other buyers, both within the same company as well as dozens of others. I then marketed to about 300 of em. All I had time to do. This brought me another 5 gigs. But the most important thing it did was it connected me with 300 new buyers. Again, I don't use social media socially. I use it only for business. So when I promote the next gig, all will see it, including these 300 new connections.

Think of each connection on social media as a dot. Like an electronic business convention. Your goal is to place that dot and connect the dots through organic business postings. And don't confuse PR with bragging. You promote the event, not the journey that got you there.

And you need to allow these connections to grow organically. Impressive people are only impressed with impressive work, or other impressive people. So my new connections will see who else I am connected with. From heads of studios, ad agencies. casting directors, talent agents, other top actors, etc.

Every day during work hours, if I am not auditioning or working I am using social media to market my career.
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that clarification Bob. I too, was wondering about the different aspects of social media use as it pertains to getting work. If I am understanding you correctly, you had a gig, and then researched all possible associated buyers for contacts via social media. You then marketed directly to them.

This is a solid business plan and obviously reaps dividends (as your numbers show). My concern is that people don't look at the specifics of your approach (or look at the work involved) and just read "social media gets me work"... and then proceed to apply their own interpretation (usually involving far less focussed effort) with saturation bombing of Linkedin and Facebook (primarily to an audience of other VOs). Half the time these people are justifying their own social media addiction with the mantra "it gets me work" without actually knowing (or caring) if it does.

Again, thank you for the real-world numbers and clarification of your process.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: