VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OT: Verizon Voice Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Harrison
M&M

Location: Equidistant from New York City and Philadelphia, along the NJ Shore

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:23 pm    Post subject: OT: Verizon Voice Connect Reply with quote

This is off-topic because "Voice Connect" has nothing to do with voice-over, but is Verizon's wireless alleged replacement for aging copper landline telephone service.

Does anyone have Voice Connect and, if so, what are your thoughts about it?

(I prefer traditional copper, but my line develops a 60 Hz hum when the outside humidity exceeds 50% and it gets progressively louder the more damp it becomes.)

Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't help you because I dropped land lines some time ago. POTS (plain old telephone service) at least 6 years ago and ISDN last year. However, the next time you get a rainy week I would think they should come out and fix the hum.

Funny story about wet phone lines... my first radio job was in Winslow, Arizona (yes as in the Eagles song) and we used to do play by play of local high school or Class A or B baseball. But the station was cheap, so they'd use a standard old POTS line at the ball field, take the cover off the mouth piece of a receiver and clip some kind of mic to the leads and we'd pick it up on a phone patch at the station. After rainy days however water would accidentally connect other lines to the game line and we'd pick up bits of other conversations. My favorite was the two women discussing one of their gall bladder operations during the third and fourth inning play by play.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Mike Harrison
M&M

Location: Equidistant from New York City and Philadelphia, along the NJ Shore

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, that must've been fun for your listeners! But I am familiar with removing the mic from the phone handset and alligator-clipping the output leads from a Shure mic mixer in its place.

As for the hum, Verizon has come out several times during my 10 years here to fix it. All utilities are underground, so the only access point to the lines is in their terminal cabinet somewhere on the property. Not long after I moved in, my landline stopped working altogether and, when the Verizon tech came out, he told me the wire leads had become so corroded, they simply fell off the terminal posts. Since that time, they just keep switching to a different pair of wires, hoping to find a clean pair.

Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Harrison wrote:
Since that time, they just keep switching to a different pair of wires, hoping to find a clean pair.

So frikkin' typical. Sorry.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is sad --- but i don't see them running new copper at this stage of the game.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: