VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My chance to play Creative Director....

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Travis
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject: My chance to play Creative Director.... Reply with quote

...So my agent calls, and says.... "A fellow called me today with an unusual request, and I immediately thought you'd be perfect for this. He's a local guy who's got a small business that's advertising on an LA radio station, and he's not really happy with the spots they made for him. His budget's pretty small, so I told him I'd have you call him to see if you could help him.

Years ago I was part of a company where I served as a sort-of creativie director, and realized that I was not well suited for that kind of position - It's one of the things that led me to my current voice-over career (You couldn't may me enough money to be a "creative director".) However, every-once-in-awhile, it's good to do the kind of work you've turned away from to remind you why you stayed away from going in that direction. My last on-air radio job was for that purpose (Three-hours-a-week maximum, to remind me why I got out of radio.) and it worked very well for that.

I called the fellow, who seemed like a nice guy. I explained that I would try to help him out just for the fun of it - with the understanding that I would not be taking the job "seriously" - in other words, I would be under no obligation to provide him with anything worthwhile, and he would be under no obligation to "accept" or use anything I produced.

To get things started, I produced a little "spec" spot - I used "The Cranky Guy" character - my favorite (probably a good part of my deep down real personality) who has yet to appear in, or get paid for a real job. "The Cranky Guy" however, has led other characters inside me to actual paying work. Anyway, here is the first "Spec" spot: http://www.SayTheWords.com/CoastSpec1.mp3 .

The president of the company called to say he "Loved" the spot. He liked the way it "Told a story, which pulls you into the spot much more than other things he's hearing on the radio". - he'd call me back after he had the chance to evaluate it with his "focus group" - the office staff during lunch.

The results of the evaluation were that the "guys" loved the spot, but the "females" didn't like it at all - and they were the ones that usually called for their services. Could I come up with something geared more towards a female audience?

That resulted in this: http://www.SayTheWords.com/CoastSpec2.mp3 - I offered the female voice (The lovely Patricia Shanks (Also my partner in assorted other nefarious affairs)) dinner at her favorite restaurant if the spot was aired.

The "client" called back immediately. He said the liked the spot, but his web-site designer had come up with an idea he thought was very original and perfect. -- This is why I got out of the "creative" side of the biz - Instead of making entertaining, creative, and effective spots, the primary mission is to always service the client's ego. I'm no good at steering clients to think that the best route was "their" idea.

Anyway, I talked to the Website designer, who was a nice guy. His idea is to set up a situation at an Alchoholics Anonymous meeting, only the name of the group is "Do-It-Yourselfers" Anonymous. I mustered up the good sense not to tell the guy that he's heard and seen his "original" idea a million times on TV and radio - (It WAS an original idea in the 70s.) - and kept quiet about my other objections, and decided to do the best job I could do to make his "idea" work. The result was: http://www.SayTheWords.com/CoastSpec3.mp3 .

The cleint said he was thrilled with the last one - he sent a nice check to my agent. Don't know if the spot's on the air - I don't listen to the radio during the "economy" hours. But the job provided me with more than I was expecting - It did a good job of reminding me why I stay away from working as any sort of "creative" or "advertising" professional (Doing VO is a very good job for me, thank you.) and I made a few bucks. - Still need to take Patricia to that Dinner - even though they didn't use her spot - which, in my opinion, was by far, the most effective one.
Tren Hester
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:05 pm    Post subject: Just Goes to Show Reply with quote

what I know. Travis, I liked all three. Creative pieces and well produced!

I suddenly feel the need to go fire up the mic and practice. . . . . .
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Travis,

Thank you for the story, and for the chance to hear a bit more of your genius.

I can't help but wonder what Mr. Coast Plumbing would have said if you replied, "Great. I've come up with a great new idea for your web site while I've been working on your radio commercials. This gives me a wonderful opportunity to talk with your web designer about my ideas." Smile

Do you suppose the light bulb might have gone on over his head? Laugh
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
donrandall

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All three were very much most excellent, to be sure. If I were the client, I would have chosen to use all three in rotation.
Dave
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

donrandall wrote:
All three were very much most excellent, to be sure. If I were the client, I would have chosen to use all three in rotation.

DITTO !!!

All three were winners.
DaveChristi
King's Row

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO - 1 and 3 are good and would stand on their own any time. 2 was GREAT! The "water dripping from the upstairs bathroom" is something that would strike terror into the heart of any homeowner (man or woman). And yet the solution is so simple... there's no need to panic... Call Coast... done... fixed.
anthonyVO
14th Avenue

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Travis:

1st spot -National ad agency top-notch-tongue-in-cheek storytelling and production - 5 stars

2nd spot - Regional ad agency top-notch-tongue-in-cheek storytelling and production - 4 stars

3rd spot - Definitely local-run-of-the-mill-we-think-it's-funny-but-it's-really-cheesy-corn - 2 stars (your production earned it the second star).

Thanks for reminding us why we walk away from certain types of work.

EDIT: It's also a great example that just because we're good (or great) at doing something, unless it brings us joy and happiness, it's NOT what we should be doing.

Bravo.
-Anthony
allensco
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoyed them ALL very much! I personally like the second one best, the first one second and the third one...third Laugh
Travis
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobsouer wrote:
Travis,
Thank you for the story, and for the chance to hear a bit more of your genius.

Aww... Shucks! Thanks!

bobsouer wrote:

I can't help but wonder what Mr. Coast Plumbing would have said if you replied, "Great. I've come up with a great new idea for your web site while I've been working on your radio commercials. This gives me a wonderful opportunity to talk with your web designer about my ideas." Smile

Do you suppose the light bulb might have gone on over his head? Laugh

Yeah, but then that would mean that I was taking the job "seriously" (and getting MY ego involved) - and the point is on this project not to do this. The client was doing what advertising clients do, which is to put their personal "spin" on things - based on their personal experiences, their personal likes and dislikes. A good ad exec (which I'm not) would find a way to "steer" the client in a more appropriate, and less personal direction. I did not mean to suggest that I was upset with the client - they were just being themselves - and trying to get a good spot, based on their less-than-sophisticated ad background. (Everything looks easy from a distance.)

--

Thanks Don, Tren, Dave, Dave Anthony, and Allen.

anthonyVO wrote:
Thanks for reminding us why we walk away from certain types of work.

EDIT: It's also a great example that just because we're good (or great) at doing something, unless it brings us joy and happiness, it's NOT what we should be doing.

Bravo.
-Anthony

A good part of learning any business is finding out what the job REALLY is. I've tried several other careers that looked great from a distance. (Radio DJ, Broadcast Engineer, Studio Owner etc. ) And I've met a good number of people who saw VO as a great career who were greatly disappointed to find what the job actually consisted of. (Mostly looking for work and getting rejected a lot.)
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Travis,

I understand what you're saying and don't disagree at all. I just thought (if someone else were in that situation) that perhaps turning the suggestion around in the other direction might help the client see that he was putting the radio advertising advice of his web guy ahead of the radio advertising advice of his radio advertising guy.

Given your situation, I think you handled things brilliantly. And I agree with Anthony's reviews. What's more, I'm astonished that you've never been hired to play that guy. He's solid gold.
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
donrandall

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
(Mostly looking for work and getting rejected a lot.)

What I wanna know is how in the bloody heck does it work that my rejections vastly outweigh my prospecting? Good grief, I get rejected by people I've never even contacted yet!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: