VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First Radio Imaging audition
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
louzucaro
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post above...very informative...thanks!!

"Well, yeah, there's my favorite leaf!"
glittlefield
M&M

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sdelgo wrote:
Personally I don't like using any of the SFX libraries so I make my own zings, zaps and music beds. Get your voice to sound BIG by either double tracking,whisper tracking, pitch shifting, reverb,delay etc... You might also want to delve into the world of vocoders, pitch correction and talkboxes alot of stations like that "robotic" feel on alot of their IDs and such.

This probably deserves another thread, but here goes anyway...

Steve, what are you using to make your own sfx? I've kind of stumbled into imaging and as I get more into it, I find that the set I started off with burns VERY quickly.
VO-BB Member #59
JBarrett
M&M

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

richgates wrote:
This may not be a popular opinion considering the man makes boatloads of money and is incredibly talented, but I think some of Joe Cipriano's promos are pukey.

I'm not sure that I agree. I hear a wide variety of energy levels in his work, but nothing that quite matches that exaggerated, slightly choked-off back-of-the-throat sound that appears (from what I gathered from your sample) to be the identifiying characteristic of the "puking" sound. Or am I reading your sample incorrectly?
sdelgo
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg,
I use 4 different synths... Triton Studio, Roland Juno 106, Yamaha DX100, Minimoog - 3 different drum modules... Yamaha RX11, Boss Dr. Rhythm and Fruity Loops (software based drums)-Talkbox,Vocoder,Pitch shifters etc...

Creating the sfx is very labor intensive but well worth it. Something like 5 different sounds to make one "explosion" type sound.

What type of sfx are you using?

Steve

www.steviedproductions.com
richgates

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JBarrett wrote:
richgates wrote:
This may not be a popular opinion considering the man makes boatloads of money and is incredibly talented, but I think some of Joe Cipriano's promos are pukey.

I'm not sure that I agree. I hear a wide variety of energy levels in his work, but nothing that quite matches that exaggerated, slightly choked-off back-of-the-throat sound that appears (from what I gathered from your sample) to be the identifiying characteristic of the "puking" sound. Or am I reading your sample incorrectly?

Well my sample certainly is an exaggeration done to show Jeff exactly what puking is. I think some of Joe's Simpson promos are a little pukey. Nothing over the top like my sample, but a little. Smile
glittlefield
M&M

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sdelgo wrote:
Greg,
I use 4 different synths... Triton Studio, Roland Juno 106, Yamaha DX100, Minimoog - 3 different drum modules... Yamaha RX11, Boss Dr. Rhythm and Fruity Loops (software based drums)-Talkbox,Vocoder,Pitch shifters etc...

Creating the sfx is very labor intensive but well worth it. Something like 5 different sounds to make one "explosion" type sound.

What type of sfx are you using?

Wow. Very cool... Hats off to ya!

The only set I have right now comes from a Program Director in NY named Randy McCarten. He put together a good 1-CD set of stuff that I figured would be perfect for getting started. He sells it on his site for $50, but I got it from him on Ebay for something like $10. That fit my budget. Smile

Thing is, I got into doing more imaging work, so I am quickly outgrowing it.
VO-BB Member #59
Casey Mac

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.loudmouthproduction.com - Exclusive Distributor of BIG FISH Workparts. For those who do not know, Big Fish Worldwide producesleading imaging effects/elements packages for independent producers, voice talents, and stations all across the country. Heard in every Top 5 market. It's what I use exclusively - great stuff. Not extremely cheap, but a good buy.

Also, talking about "puking" in the mic....has anyone heard of this guy: jeffradio.com Take a listen. Also has ties to an interesting site, radiodaddy.com, that offers FREE VO services. Pretty popular site, but the quality of the talents are horrible, and offering free services isnt a great gig in my book. (I appologize ahead of time if I've broken any rules on this board in the previous paragraph, please edit my post if i have! thanks )
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe Cipriano does have a slight "puke" to some of his reads, but it's a multi-million dollar puke, so who's to say?

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
richgates

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
Joe Cipriano does have a slight "puke" to some of his reads, but it's a multi-million dollar puke, so who's to say?

B

Exactly Bruce. Smile I have the utmost respect for the guy. Watching his video blogs are really inspiring. Plus it is a slight puke and certainly works for the promos. He has a lot of range.
sdelgo
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Wow. Very cool... Hats off to ya!

The only set I have right now comes from a Program Director in NY named Randy McCarten. He put together a good 1-CD set of stuff that I figured would be perfect for getting started. He sells it on his site for $50, but I got it from him on Ebay for something like $10. That fit my budget.

Thing is, I got into doing more imaging work, so I am quickly outgrowing it.

Greg,
Outgrowing some of the sfx is very easy to do. There are alot of sfx packages out there but like Casey Mac stated they are pricey and you run the risk of other people using the same thing.

I just dove in head first and decided to build my own libraries so I spent the $$$ to get the gear for the unique sound. Plus I like making music as well.If you like, e-mail or PM me maybe I can build a package for you If you're running dry on your library.

Steve

www.steviedproductions.com
johnbailey
Contributor II

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get the money up front.
davediamondprovo
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeffreyKafer wrote:
billelder wrote:
Deirdre's advice is the best. Also, see if you can get them to be specific about what they had in mind. Always use your natural range. I was hired by a News/Talk station and did a read as one would expect. They got rid of the "puker" guy and now they have me doing punch lines and even ad libbing. Fun gig.

Good luck!

What the heck is "puking" in radio jargon?

This is puking as well.
dagoldenknight86

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's the perfect example of puking! Great sound by the way!
louzucaro
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davediamondprovo wrote:

This is puking as well.

Hee hee that last bit got me...

"Well, yeah, there's my favorite leaf!"
davediamondprovo
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dagoldenknight86 wrote:
that's the perfect example of puking! Great sound by the way!

I'm not certain that compliment was for me but if it was, thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: