VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

About Union versus non...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tway12

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:54 am    Post subject: About Union versus non... Reply with quote

Any folks on the board that are straight union? My situation is interesting. Been working in the news game for a while, but before that I did voiceovers and on camera work in St. Louis. All of it Aftra work.
Looking to suppliment my income now doing some out of market vo work, or corporate narration. I'm concerned about doing non-union work. Because of my current position doing TV in NYC, going financial core probably wouldn't be an option. Bottom line is, I loved doing voiceover, want to get back into it, but I'm not looking to step on my own toes doing it.
I'd appreciate any advice, especially from folks who do only UNION projects. I have a feeling though, I'm not gonna get too many responses. Seems like there's much more non-union stuff out there. :shock:
anthonyVO
14th Avenue

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is FiCore not an option for you? you just wont be able to vote, but you'll be able to eat :wink:

-Anthony
lisaloo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it is worth, I am - as you say - "straight union". 100%, all the way and all that jazz.

Given the fact that your main source of income is already in place (a job in television in NYC), I guess my advice would be to keep your union status and whatever loyalties to it you may have in place for now and see what happens.

If there is no great rush to make your rent from VO, why make any changes in your union status?

Unless the goal is to get any kind of work regardless of the wages or working conditions, I don't see why you'd need to resign your membership at this juncture.

As for FiCore, my opinions are many and well-documented -- but consider it fair warning that there is more and more pressure mounting in the union ranks to make it all but impossible for someone to rejoin after invoking FiCore. I realize that most folks who go that route probably have no desire to ever rejoin, but after the strike -- and as unfair as it may be to paint everyone with the old "scab" brush -- a lot of union members don't have much interest in reinstating their memberships anymore. Kind of a "good riddance" stance, if you will.

Just FYI and Only My .02,

Lisa L.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite frankly, I feel a certain responsibility to the clients who lay out union bucks to get my voice on their projects.

I don't really want to sell for cheap in the same market.
anthonyVO
14th Avenue

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lisaloo wrote:
As for FiCore, my opinions are many and well-documented -- but consider it fair warning that there is more and more pressure mounting in the union ranks to make it all but impossible for someone to rejoin after invoking FiCore.

I spoke to a studio owner/producer in NY recently that I bumped into at a party and he told me a scary story that pretty much confirms what you're saying Lisa - so I take back that recommendation... as a matter of fact - I never even made that recommendation :wink:

It was a pretty bad thing that happened to a veteran... can't even work anymore in the union world. Again, this is what I hear.

These statements don't necessarily reflect those of Anthony (am I safe now?)

-Anthony
ConnieTerwilliger
Triple G

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 9:52 am    Post subject: Not sure I understand... Reply with quote

anthonyVO wrote:
I spoke to a studio owner/producer in NY recently that I bumped into at a party and he told me a scary story that pretty much confirms what you're saying Lisa - so I take back that recommendation... as a matter of fact - I never even made that recommendation :wink:

It was a pretty bad thing that happened to a veteran... can't even work anymore in the union world. Again, this is what I hear.

-Anthony

I'd like to hear the whole story you were told - FiCore is an NLRB ruling for ANY union that means you can officially resign from the union - you are officially not a member anymore, but you CAN work union jobs when they come up (and in some markets they just don't come up very often - San Diego has no AFTRA work to speak of - SAG, yes, but not AFTRA).

Was it a signatory producer who said that they wouldn't hire a FiCore person? If that is the case, then someone may have a law suit. So I am curious as to what you were told.

Regards,
anthonyVO
14th Avenue

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Not sure I understand... Reply with quote

ConnieTerwilliger wrote:
Was it a signatory producer who said that they wouldn't hire a FiCore person? If that is the case, then someone may have a law suit. So I am curious as to what you were told.

Regards,

That's very true - they are SUPPOSED to be able to work Union jobs, yes... but he stated the talent was just plain ol' blackballed. He himself hires all kinds of talent - he just told me what has happened to the talent in question. Of course, this is all heresay, but it might be true. Nothing surprises me anymore.

-Anthony
lisaloo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Connie is correct -- union status has no bearing on a signatory's ability to hire any performer they choose to. But ours being a purely subjective business with no "just cause" for hiring/not hiring beyond the ol' "just 'cause" . . . well, it'd be very hard to know or prove why a producer didn't hire someone. Unless of course they (for some reason known only to them) really gave a hoot about whether the person they were hiring were a member or not and actually told them about it.

Lisa
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: