VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Agents?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matthew

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:26 pm    Post subject: Agents? Reply with quote

Hello everyone...

Another new guy here! Without boring everyone with my life story, I'll just hit the high notes!

I've just been "signed" by an agent here in Dallas, Texas. Now what? I know I can't just sit and wait for my agent to call with gigs. They've call for a few auditions. But no paying gigs yet. I've been given a lot of advice on what to do. Just not sure what's good and bad advise. Now for the background....I do not have my own studio yet, I've been in radio and television for about 15 years. Started as a Jock in the late 80's then got sucked into television in the mid 90's. I've done voice-overs for a few years now, but it has been very limited. So that's where we are now, the agent.

so... where do we go from here...

Thanks
Matthew
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Matthew, nice to have you here.

If you've been paid more than once to do voice overs it's time to invest in yourself and that means marketing and your own studio.

Having an agent is fine but unless you are highly sought after in your market place, don't hold your breath until the phone rings.

I just did the maths and last week my agent in London contributed 31% to my income. What does that mean in practical terms? Last week I had to find the other 69% of my income.
anthonyVO
14th Avenue

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard, Matthew!

I don't know how it is in your market, but I'll tell you what I'm doing in NYC:

1 - It's important to understand that although an agent will send you out on (or bring you in for) auditions, it's your responsibility to stay on the VO radar. By asking this question, I see you might already know that.

2 - The most important thing you can do is make Casting Directors fans of yours. Try to find out who are the CD's that cast V/O's in your market and do anything and everything you can to meet them or get them to hear you. Although in New York, many frown upon it, maybe you can do drop-offs to the CD's in your market. Don't try to make conversation with them, just go in there and drop off your resume (make sure you have your agent's contact info on it) and voiceover demo to them.

3 - Kindly ask your agent for a contact database, and tell them that you'd like to send them an announcement/newsletter. Send those people (and anyone else on your list) an announcement that you are now exclusive to so-and-so agent. Keep it simple. There's a nice announcement letter in Rodney Saulsberry's book (I think I remember that was where I saw it).

4 - Set up a professional looking website. Even if you don't generate direct web-surfer leads from it, some CD's that I know, tend to Google newbies. So a pro website might add validity. It goes without say that you should include your agents contact info on there.

5 - Read books on small business marketing. It might give you ideas on how to market yourself... remember, you are now a small business and the product is YOU. Put yourself out there.

6 - Try to get into actors' circles - they are always pounding the streets and networking... network with them - you might benefit from it.

7 - Train, study, train, and study some more... it never hurts to continuously work on your craft. Plus, you can add that training to your resume. And I don't just mean voice-over training - try a beginner's acting class - it might help you connect with or break down a script that's not announcery... which is very much in demand now.

Hope that helps somewhat. If I think of more, I'll post it.
-Anthony
anthonyVO
14th Avenue

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Banksey wrote:
If you've been paid more than once to do voice overs it's time to invest in yourself and that means marketing and your own studio.

That sums it up quite nicely - you can't really compete nowadays if you can't record an audition in record turnaround times - and that means getting your own studio. Look in the Gear section for recommendations.
Matthew

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Banksey...

I've started to work on a "marketing" plan. Just not sure who to contact first. Some say Ad agencies, some say recording studios, and still others say to contact other agents in other parts of the country. So where do you start? I have a plan for the home studio, but it's still in the future. I've been lurking around here on the form for a while, finally joined a few days back. So I've tried to get as much info from the form first!

Matthew
Matthew

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnthonyVO

Thanks for your advise! Looks like I'm in the right direction. I've been woking on some of the "acting skills" took a few classes as well as working with a voice coach. Need to go back to some of my VO books and re-read them.

Matthew
anthonyVO
14th Avenue

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah - sometimes I glance through the vo books and something clicks, but the books that have helped me the most have nothing to do with vo... just a hint.

Also, look for a book called "How to Agent your Agent" - if nothing else, it's an interesting read on the tricks of the trade that some agents use.

About who to market to "first" - i say market to them all.
I keep hearing about v/o's marketing to "recording studios" - maybe it works for them, but I have yet to receive any work from recording studios. Yes, maybe they can use you, but it's not an area where you will get consistent work I don't believe.

As far as Ad Agencies are concerned. Do your research - only market to those ad agencies that have their own casting departments for v/o's - most ad agencies I know hire a casting director (outsourced), which in turn either call in talent directly or, for the most part, contact talent agents for submissions that will hopefully lead to auditions.

PM me and I'll be glad to supply some titles that have helped me... yeah, non v-o books.

-Anthony
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick launch pad has to be a website with a short demo on it and your contact details. Ignore agents as they don't have any work. Target production companies and Ad agencies, do so on a global basis. Start with a few phone calls. Introduce yourself and offer a link to your web page. If nothing else you will get your name out there.

Where the agent is concerned it's worth bearing in mind that an audition is like a job interview; would you get all dressed up for a job that paid $200? Apply for a job that paid a one-off $200? Make sure that when you audition, you're applying for jobs worth having.
When your agent calls again offering an audition ask what the client thought of your demo. Chances are that the client hasn't heard it and the audition is a cattle call. Cattle calls do not pay the bills.
Matthew

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Banksey

You are right on the money! All the auditions have been cattle calls! Great Ideas all around, thanks!!!!!
SheSpeaksCopy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Matthew, welcome to the board!
Like you, I don't have a home studio...yet. I used to do VO work in the 80's. One of the things that I'm in the process of doing is creating copy to market myself to local radio and television sales reps. I've been told that ad reps are always looking for new voices for their clients ads. I've compiled a list of stations in my area and what genre of music they play. I can then tailor my letters toward each station and their client base.

Now, I just have to get my demo up on a web page so they can hear me!

Looking forward to reading your posts! Laugh
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: