VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Source Connect: Do you Use it?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

*Source Connect*
Use it often
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Use it Seldom
22%
 22%  [ 11 ]
Have it, don 't use it
6%
 6%  [ 3 ]
Don't have it
72%
 72%  [ 36 ]
Total Votes : 50

Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:26 am    Post subject: Source Connect: Do you Use it? Reply with quote

I heard from George Whittam that the license fee for SC goes up $250 at the beginning of February. I'm interested to see how well it's serving people here.

Last edited by Deirdre on Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dan-O
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far, I am the only "have it and don't use it". It's been about a year since I last fired it up. The clients who contacted me about using it dial me up on ISDN.

BTW, did anyone else get hit with an announcement from Source Elements about a service contract? I received one a few months ago announcing my two year service agreement was expiring and I would have to pay $10 a month to continue to receive software updates and tech support. The fee is also retro-active. I would have to pay for all the months I have missed, if I wanted to re-up for service.

I could have sworn Source Connect was a one-time payment.
Glenn Moore
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way I understood the Service Agreement was if you needed any technical assitance you would be charged retro-active. It will still work and you can use it without the service agreement but if you need help then open your wallet. I have had Source Connect for nearly 2 years and have yet to use it other than testing it out to see if it works. Probably a waste of money, but then again it could pay for itself in one session.

Glenn
Lizden
A Zillion

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan-O wrote:
.....I would have to pay $10 a month to continue to receive software updates and tech support. The fee is also retro-active. I would have to pay for all the months I have missed, if I wanted to re-up for service.

Gasp Yikes, I didn't realize THAT!
I have only used it a couple of time since I got it in 2007.....I have used ISDN more times since I got IT in July!

...and the last time I tried to do a SC test with CourVO something was up & we couldn't hear each other....have to figure THAT out now....in all my spare time. ugh.
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While this is hardly a scientific poll, if SC were truly getting limited use among only 19% of a highly interested population, this could be one of those reverse psychology marketing ploys....make people think it's worth even more by announcing a big price increase and hope to make a bundle before you're forced to give up as other technologies pass you by. The speed with which Skype and other cheap platforms are improving could make SC the Tucker auto of its day.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
. . .could make SC the Tucker auto of its day.

You mean Telos and Skype are going to hire someone to assassinate the SC designer?
KaraEdwards
M&M

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got it in December- had 2 sessions on it. I was supposed to use it last week, but they changed their mind and used ISDN instead.

I'm having issues hearing myself and the director at the same time- I can get one or the other (obviously the director wins leaving me in a giant silent vacuum on my end...but they can hear me). It's an issue with the way I'm setting up the sessions I think- and I haven't taken enough time yet to figure it out.

I figure it's good to have every option for a client- so I'm glad I got it! It's certainly cheaper than ISDN even if they do charge $10/mo eventually. However, I still prefer ISDN. I like things that are tangible- things with buttons and knobs and flashy lights.

Kara Edwards
http://www.karaedwards.com
kara@karaedwards.com
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me it would be a business tool and that is the reason I do not have it as it appears that it would add no value to my business.

If for some reason my ISDN went PHUT last Thursday morning and I had to cover the cost to replace it as soon as it happened I would've been back in profit by 11.30. Please note that's not break even that's profit.
Chuck Davis
M&M

Location: Where I love to be...Between the Vineyards and the Cows.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With as much as you use ISDN Phillip you might consider having a spare on hand for future "phut"s.

One of the VOs I work with for the radio station (Howard Parker) does this.

I have no reason to get Source Connect here. Never had any need for for it. ISDN gets used at least 4 times a week....and for the moment I don't have to foot the bill for the lines.
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an interesting call from a local VO friend. He's in need of a Source Connect equipped studio with phone patch because he's got a demo session coming up with Nancy Wolfson and the studio she uses. I don't know of anyone here who has it but told him I'd ask around, and then offered my ISDN setup. Those two apparently don't have ISDN out in Lala land. I guess we could bridge if necessary, but I thought that was odd.

B

Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'll be a "low rent" studio. Apologies if that sounds unkind. Asking for Source Connect WITH phone patch? Do we know what we're talking about? Unlikely.
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually the dual listening thing makes sense in this one case. I guess she's in a different location than the studio so she listens in while the the other person records. Hands on, no. Ears on, yes.

B

KaraEdwards
M&M

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found a number of studios no longer have ISDN. That's why I got Source Connect. And not low rent studios either. In fact, one of my best clients has a studio sans ISDN- it's happening more and more. BUT- I prefer ISDN!! (Wanted to keep that out in the universe)

Kara Edwards
http://www.karaedwards.com
kara@karaedwards.com
Mike Harrison
M&M

Location: Equidistant from New York City and Philadelphia, along the NJ Shore

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have it, use it seldom.

Last used Source-Connect a couple of weeks ago. Doing an ISDN session in 45 mins.

Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose the key obvious word I didn't use was "probably" as most studios in our business tend to have ISDN and because they use Protools will have a Source Connect option.

Someone only having Source Connect will tend to be unable to afford (justify) ISDN, although I fully accept the possibility of a top studio being in an area not served by ISDN, like .............for example .....you know ..............Hey what about that ..er .....local sports team! Reckon they'll make it to the final?

By the way. The person responsible for producing a quality demo for a Voiceoverist will be listening on a POTS? I love Nancy more than Liver and Bacon casserole but .....AW **** OFF!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: