VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Agent, Etiquette and Action

View previous topic :: View next topic  
soon2bsilver

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:53 am    Post subject: Agent, Etiquette and Action Reply with quote

Hello Vo-bb friends!
I haven't posted in quite some time, let alone much at all. But I've been watching and learning and have a few questions for you, if you are willing?

I'm signed exclusively with an agency in Chicago an am Aftra/Sag, but would love to expand my client base, stir up some more action, and am wondering if you have any marketing advice?

I am really interested in sites like Voices.com etc, for that reason, but am under the impression that these choices are not available to me- as a price I pay for the benefit of representation. At least I believe this to be true.

I'm fairly fresh to the business, only a mere few years in, and have always worked with the agency so I really don't know what choices or tools are out there for me to use- and I therefore have not explored other options.

I love my Vo agent ladies more than I can say, even though I know I am not one of their largest commercial talents ... so aside from leaving them-which I don't plan on doing at the moment- does anyone have advice as to what I can do to spread the word while staying true? Is anyone else in this situation? or has been?

Muy muy thanks.
Confused and curious.
JBarrett
M&M

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Confused and Curious,

I'll leave the heavy-hitting marketing tips to others. One thing I feel that I can speak to, though, is my agent's view of my membership with P2P sites. When I signed on, I specifically asked if they had any issue with my membership on such sites. I was told that I was free to pursue work via the P2P sites as much as I wanted, and that they didn't want to interfere with my efforts in that regard. Every agent is going to have a different answer, naturally. However, if you never ask the question, you'll never know.

Aside from that, I strongly encourage you to search the archives here for other marketing tips. A LOT of great ideas have been shared here over the years. It only takes a few searches to turn up gold.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a general rule, an exclusive with an agent is exactly that. All work goes through them - THE END.

Having stated the blindingly obvious there is nothing to stop you marketing yourself as long as you put all work through your agent. Have a website and put the agents details in the contact section, do the same on demo CDs and other material. Work with your agent to promote your career and when you make the decision to start doing this ensure that your agent is working with you.

Question an agent "What have you done today/this week/this month/this year to promote MY career?" Most agents will not have an answer, most agents ought to be having clients say "BYE!" Obviously if your agent is sending you a regular flow of work you don't need to ask the question.

Do not join a pay to play site.

That'll be $300 for the business advice, how would you like to pay?
ballenberg
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, sorry Philip, that's not accurate.

Exclusivity here means that your signed agent is your only union agent in Chicago. Period.

It does not give them a piece of jobs you bring in yourself. If you choose to put self-bookings through them, that is your choice.

Furthermore, they will not be able to handle any job unless it is union.

And there, is the beginning of what this is really all about.

I will now leave the Pandoras' Box I have just opened, in the hands of others should they wish to go there.
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually you're both kinda right and maybe a little off. Exclusivity is whatever it is defined to be in the contract one has with their agent. It can be exclusive to the City, your Country, to just voiceover, and it can be amended in all kinds of ways if both parties agree.

Within your agent's jurisdiction, it all needs to end up going through them. Outside of that it's your choice. Of the five agents I'm signed with I consider one to be my "national" agent just because he gets me more of that work than the others, and in a few cases where I've been approached directly for national work with a potentially big payout, I turn negotiations over to him because of his experience.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
soon2bsilver

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your thoughts Smile
Ha! This is sorta stiicky!
I agree- I think exclusivity is for the city. I also work with an agent in Minneapolis, but if any gigs conflict, they go to Chi-town first, and that was agreed upon upfront. I'm with you there Bruce.
JBarrett- yes. one must ask in order to receive! Absolutely. Just putting the feelers out there to see what experience has shared with a few of you on the matter. But I thank you and will certainly look for some marketing tips with my internet shovel.
I've got a nice little site and all that- so the tools are there. It's just whether or not I'm spreadin the word I think Wink
Philip Smile Agent your agent. You better believe it! Do you take American Express? How about cake?
Ballenberg- I think the question I have at the bottom of it all my be a very naive one- so please please forgive the stage chick her wobbly VO feet Frown Union and non-union. How can they exist for one performer? The true depth of my experience is as an Equity member, and I know people double up, but certainly at the risk of losing their union status. Is this what we are talking about? Or is there actually something I don't know?

Thank you all for taking a moment to answer the stranger.
Bill Campbell
DC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"An agent is about as important to a VO career as a sprig of parsley is to a Seafood Platter."

Ari (hang on I've got a bigger fish on the other line) Gold
CarynClark
MMD

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the parsley was there to chew after the meal and freshen your breath? Rolls Eyes

"A positive mental attitude and having faith in your ability is quite different from being irresponsible and downright stupid." - Dave
ConnieTerwilliger
Triple G

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. The P2P sites occasionally post Union work.

2. There is the option of going Financial Core in the Union - this way you can work union or non-union jobs - and perhaps actually make a living. (search FiCore, financial core, etc.)
bransom
DC

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Connie,

Do you know if you go fi-core, can you go back again?

Thanks,

Bob
ConnieTerwilliger
Triple G

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They will tell you that they might not let you rejoin. If you did want to, and they let you, the there would probably be another initiation fee.

If I had been in a market with Union sigs, I might never have decided to go FiCore. Who knows. I have posted many thoughts on this and am on my BlackBerry and am running out of gas on this tiny keyboard.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: