VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone have a minute?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mikenj3
Contributor II

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:08 pm    Post subject: Anyone have a minute? Reply with quote

Just re-did my commercial demo. Would appreciate some thoughts.

Be honest. Be brutal. Kill me (figuratively).

Thanks so much!

Please click here

Mike Forbes
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there!

I gave your demo the brutal "I'm casting" listen and I must say everything sounds like it was done on the same mic on the same day.

You have a nifty guy-next-door, innocent kind of sound which is really pleasant. Believable, approachable, honest. Your demo should exploit that and then explore your range. This demo doesn't quite do that.

I didn't finish listening for 2 reasons—1. I am tired and 2. I want to take a shower.
What you've right now got is not compelling. You need better material and a good producer.
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Deirdre. Bring in another set of experienced ears to help you produce this. You're also still a bit tentative in your reads. You need to sound like you believe what you're saying, live what you're saying, not just read what you're saying. You've got a good asset worth building upon.

Technical note: your demo says the name is AMSTEL LIGHT when it plays in my iTunes player.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Mikenj3
Contributor II

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce & Deirdre...

Appreciate the feedback. Thank you both for taking the time.

I'll work on the points you both mentioned.

Mike Forbes
asnively
Triple G

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely get a director involved so he or she can help you find a different performance for each spot.

I agree that you have a cool sound and that that this demo is not making you sound as hire-able as you are. The first cut struck me as being odd and halting. I don't think it makes a strong first impression. Remember, most agents and CD's won't get past the first 7 seconds, so make 'em count!
FaffCon
TalkerTees
brianforrester
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You said you wanted honesty and brutality... sorry, but I'm going to offer it Inoccent

Don't distribute this demo! I made it to about the 8-second mark and killed it (and I was trying to give it a chance).

I agree with Deebs and Amy, that you have a cool tone to your voice that has the potential to be marketable. However... you sounded like you were reading the script, not connecting with the listener. You didn't own anything in the copy and you didn't convey that you had any passion for what you were supposed to be catching my attention with.

Critique is the easy part... advice is harder...

Like I said above, you do have something and I think that with some practice, maybe some training and the guidance of a director who knows how to pull the best out of you, you could probably engage an engineer or demo producer who could put it all together into a demo that would sell.

My advice? Get good at talking to yourself Wink Talk in the shower, talk in the car, talk everywhere and anywhere (yes, some with think you're crazy and they might be right... after all, you are considering a career in voice over!)... listen to yourself and pick yourself apart. Read things out loud, listen to what you're saying and focus on what words or phrases need special attention to connect with the listener. Record a bunch of what you're doing and do your best to listen critically to what you're doing... don't worry about the techical gear head stuff (ie. audio quality and whether your Neumann U87ai is connected to your Avalon 737 pre with the latest and greatest gold plated magami dual balanced XLR cables with titanium foil isolation and quad band electrical interference reducers) ... focus on the delivery and performance!

DON'T ask your loved ones or friends what they think of what you've just recorded... they'll always love it... and if they don't it's the making of a fight cool

Listen to as many other v/o's as you can... men and women... all tones and styles. Listen to their delivery. Listen to how they emphasize or downplay certain areas. Pick THEM apart! (don't send them your critique however... that's the making of another fight Laugh )

What does all of this boil down to? Research, homework, practice and learning.

At the end of the road there may well be an opportunity to make some money as a voice talker, but be forewarned... it can be a long and lonely road and it takes a lot of determined footsteps with the innevitable missed steps and zig zagging along the way.

Good luck and happy practicing!
Mikenj3
Contributor II

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian...

Appreciate your taking the time to listen and for the very, very sound advice.

Best of luck to you, also.

Regards...

Mike Forbes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: