VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rode K2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cyclometh
King's Row

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:12 am    Post subject: Rode K2 Reply with quote

Yarr, me hearties.

I was in the local audio/music store to get rosin for my son's violin yesterday and decided to try out a couple of the mics they had. I'm considering an upgrade from my current condenser, a Cascade M20u; it's not bad but I'm finding is a bit too "sharp", is the best word I have.

I have been giving a listen to a few mics as I have the chance with an eye toward trading up in the next couple of months.

I was really impressed with the K2's warmth and the color it added to my voice was quite pleasing to my ear, reducing the "gravel" sound I sometimes have and making the overall much smoother, and for a condenser I was astonished at how little background noise it was picking up while still getting my voice quite faithfully.

Thoughts?

I am curious as to other's opinions and experiences with this mic, and if you have recommendations for similar ones I should give a tryout to as I continue to look into my next mic.
Mike Sommer
A Hundred Dozen

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first though is did you record a sample of it?

If so, post it, along with a sample of the mic you have now.

If not, anything offered is biassed opinion based on individual use that may not translate to you and your needs.

But if you like it, it might be a good step up for you. Or you can save up or spend a little more and get a better mic than the Rode.

Might be best to test a few more mics.

Arrrrrr

Acoustics are counter-intuitive. If one thing is certain about acoustics, it is that if anything seems obvious it is probably wrong.
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's an interesting discussion regarding the comparative merits of the Rode K2 and TLM103 over on Gearslutz. It's a bit of a zombie thread as it spans 2005 to 2011, but interesting nonetheless.

Cheers
peter
Mushmelon
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The K2 is my mic of choice. I have been using it exclusively for the last 4 years or so. Just be careful. It has quite a bit of proximity effect if you work it to close.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: