VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My plan for sound isolation of my studio

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cyclometh
King's Row

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:00 am    Post subject: My plan for sound isolation of my studio Reply with quote

Hi folks- I've gotten some great insight and advice from this forum before, so I'm coming back for another helping.

Based on discussions here and outside the vo-bb, I've come up with a general plan for doing some sound isolation on my home studio. Once I've done that I'll look at how to most effectively treat the interior, but my current goal is to make the space more resistant to external noise than anything.

My space is in a daylight basement, and is about 11x12; I don't have the specific dimensions to hand. It's about the size of a small bedroom.

Here's a top-down overview of the space as it currently exists. I believe I've shared this picture with you in the past.

On that diagram, the left and bottom walls have concrete backed by earth, and the other two sides face into other areas of the home- the top into a general living space and the right side into a bedroom.

Based on our previous discussions, my plan for making the space more sound-resistant to external noises such as voices and footfalls upstairs or in adjoining rooms and external noises (lawnmowers, cars, etc) is (in general):

* Remove all existing drywall from the walls and ceiling.
* Remove the closet- I don't need it and the extra space would be nice.
* Remove the door.
* Wrap, muffle or isolate all conduits and piping in the walls and ceiling.
* Install blocks between the joists above the walls to eliminate sound traveling through those spaces.
* Remove the heater conduit (currently in the ceiling coming in over the door) and vent, blocking it off- it's really not necessary in that space anyway.
* Hang a fire-rated door in place of the existing one, possibly reframing the space to fit it.
* Install double 5/8" drywall against the interior surfaces of the two walls facing into the home between the studs; the other two are concrete backed by earth, so there's no need to further isolate them.
* Install double 5/8" drywall against the upper ceiling surface between the joists.
* Between the drywall layers, use Green Glue.
* Install rockwool in the walls and ceiling spaces. (Note: I have researched and considered using injectable foam for this, but elected not to for various reasons).
* Install double 5/8" drywall on the walls and ceiling, ensuring the top layer is offset from the underlying one.
* Install Green Glue between the layers of drywall.
* Tape, mud and paint.

Does this seem to be a reasonable approach to you folks? All of this is stuff I have either done before or am comfortable taking on (I'm surprisingly handy and have access to some pretty skilled folks to assist).

If you have any comments or suggestions, I would be very happy to hear them.
ballenberg
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overall, it sounds very good--I must be missing something because I didn't understand this

Quote:
Install double 5/8" drywall against the interior surfaces of the two walls facing into the home between the studs

Between the studs?

And

Quote:
Install double 5/8" drywall against the upper ceiling surface between the joists

What's the drywall attached to? A separate frame resting on booth walls?

I can vouch for the quiet of GreenGlue--good stuff
cyclometh
King's Row

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, between the studs and between the joists above, creating when all is said and done a total of four layers of drywall, with rockwool between.

I'm not certain if that's a viable setup as I'm not totally clear on how I would secure it to the interior surface. I'm also not totally certain that it's necessary, but it is something I am considering.
Mike Sommer
A Hundred Dozen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes installing drywall between the ceiling joist will add mass to the floor above, you can use green glue if you like. The big thing is caulking the joints between the drywall and the joist - if you want the secret sauce for that just PM me.

The best thing you can do is record the room and understand how much isolation the room needs, understanding this will get you where you need to be. Once the walls are opened up then you can deal with the surprises.

Post some picture one you do the demo, and if you need advice just shoot me a line.

Acoustics are counter-intuitive. If one thing is certain about acoustics, it is that if anything seems obvious it is probably wrong.
cyclometh
King's Row

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will do, Mike. I may start early next month after returning from FaffCon. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: