VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yet another preamp thread
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lapianoman
Club 300

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:40 am    Post subject: Yet another preamp thread Reply with quote

I'm looking to upgrade from my current pre...I dare not mention what I'm currently using, as it might send the audio experts here running in horror.

I've had my eye on the Golden Age Pre-73 DLX for awhile & it's finally available. Question is, is it a good match for my EV RE320? Would I benefit more from a "cleaner" preamp? If so, what else would you recommend in the same price range?
markt
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, here we go............I've only heard that that the GAP has a fair amount of color to it. It looks like your mic has some 'morphimg' capabilities?

I've been using a DBX 286s (and a) for a few years. I, however, use it for condenser mics. It has worked great on everything I've plugged into it. I think that the pre is pretty clean, and for your dynamic, it's got 60dB of gain which I believe is enough.

The 286 is less than $200 new, and even cheaper on Ebay. This might be a good start for you.

But here's the really good part; there are plenty of folk out here who know much better than I!

All the best,
Mark
whalewtchr
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is some great information in the archives, just search pre-amps.
Lapianoman
Club 300

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Markt - I had bid on a 286a a few weeks ago, but got the unit sniped out from under me. I know it and the newer 286s are both well-respected units & I couldn't go wrong if I acquired one. So, why am I looking to spend more than twice the cost of a new 286s for the Pre73 DLX? Primarily, from what I'd already learned from months of preamp research. Plus, Mike Sommer was a big proponent of the original, as well as Gearslutz. I also like the additional features that the DLX version offers, namely the adjustable HPF and dB pad. (Features that, surprisingly, are on my current preamp: a Behringer MIC200. *See why I feel the need to upgrade?*) Add in the upgraded capacitors & to me it sounds like a great value for a Class A device. One other small befefit I see is the form factor: I'd prefer a desktop preamp vs. rack mount. Obviously I'm not completely opposed toa rack unit, otherwise I never would have tried to get that 286a off eBay.

With that said, the last thing I want is to buy a new GAP & discover that it sounds too muddy when paired with my RE320. I know it's possible to dial back the color, but that kinda defeats the purpose of buying the PRE73...no good having that flexability if it's unusable, in which case I'd be better served by a unit that delivers only clean gain.

Sorry if it appeared as though I was posting a "Tell Me What Preamp To Buy" thread. That wasn't my intention. Just tying to avoid a potentially costly misstep if the PRE73 isn't best paired with my mic.
Tom Test
DC

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an first gen GAP-73 w "TT mod," and never liked it. I thought it lacked clarity (which might be another way of saying "it sounded muddy"). I used it with several different mics: Gefell M930, a highly modded and sweet Rode NTK, Senn MD-441, etc. - and was never happy with my sound. I sold it on eBay, and the good news is that I didn't take as much of a hit as I feared. But it was a big disappointment for me.

I'm very happy with my ISA One preamp, and got a killer deal at B&H. YMMV. (I'm also very happy with my new SafeSound Audio Tracking Toolbox peramp, though still figuring out how it all works).
www.tomtest.com
Lapianoman
Club 300

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tom! That's the kind of information I want to have before deciding to buy. The newer model has tantalum caps, so it's probably closer to the modded version you used to own.

I've heard great things about the Focusrite ISA One...glad to hear your experience with it is also very positive.
Tom Test
DC

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shoot me your email via PM and I will send you samples of the GAP, ISA One, and maybe a few more pres. What mic(s) are you using?
www.tomtest.com
Lapianoman
Club 300

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AT2035 & RE320
Lapianoman
Club 300

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My new preamp should be arriving Thursday. Muchas gracias to Tom, who I can now blame for me choosing the Focusrite ISA One, as well as ordering it from B&H. My wife can't be too mad, since my B&H order includes a nice birthday present for her.
Tom Test
DC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to be of service! If you have time, I'd love to hear a sample of both of those mics through your ISA One. I'm considering a -320 to replace my Sennheiser MD-441, and I'd like to compare your AT2035 to my -2050.
www.tomtest.com
JTVG
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a GAP Pre 73 MKII and love it. It brings just the right amount of color to the table, for my voice. Meanwhile, my Avalon gathers dust.

Plays very nicely with a Sennheiser 416.
Tom Test
DC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JTVG wrote:
I have a GAP Pre 73 MKII and love it.

...which just goes to show you how personal preamps (and mics) are. I never liked my GAP Pre-73 w TT mod - I found it muddy. But I sold it for pretty much what I paid for it a year later. I know the GAP has a great reputation, but it just didn't work for my voice/mic/environment.
www.tomtest.com
Lapianoman
Club 300

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Test wrote:
Glad to be of service! If you have time, I'd love to hear a sample of both of those mics through your ISA One. I'm considering a -320 to replace my Sennheiser MD-441, and I'd like to compare your AT2035 to my -2050.

Here's the RE320 with the ISA One:

http://soundcloud.com/lapianoman/re320-isa-one-test

No processing (noise reduction or normalizing included) was done.

I'll try to hook up the 2035 this weekend for another round.
Scolaidhe

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice.
jordanreynolds
Contributor II

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The preamps on my RME interface are very clean. I want a different option so I'll be purchasing a GAP 73 here pretty soon. I'll be sure to post test results if anyone's interested.

As mentioned in this thread there is never 1 magic mic, preamp, plugin that will work for everyone. Which, to be honest, is kind of nice. Otherwise we'd all have the exact same signal chains. Audio Communism? Laugh
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: