VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ISDN
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pam
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went up the line (no pun intended) to my state legislature when my rate jumped almost 45% in one month. This is an unregulated part of the industry. The lines the banks and other entities use are apparently different from ours (at least this is what my research and the peeps I talked to said) and so they aren't able to help us by adding their weight in this issue. If anyone has any ideas or connections that could help out please, please step forward.

And yes Philip, you are in the doghouse. Out you go. The collies can stay in though.

Now what did I come in here for?
melissa eX
MMD

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie Channel wrote:

4. Voice performers are small business entities.

5. Pricing is NOT uniform, and (IMHO) is being artificially manipulated, such that it might be subject to Taft-Hartley or other anti-trust legislation. In any event, it seems to me that small business ought not be subject to arbitrary pricing practices that disadvantage small business entitles, compared to big business. Moreover, the Telco's have an affirmative action obligation concerning small businesses. See P.L. 95-507. E.O. 12138. Incidentally, P.L. 99-661 provides for the DoD to provide "technical assistance" to targeted firms (small businesses and minority owned businesses -- including Women-owned businesses). Those provisions appear in government prime contracts with Telco's. Think: SMALL BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION.

I could quote the entire post because it's all good stuff - but this is what really struck me. I'm curious as to whether those of you on AT&T are on a business account or residential? On Verizon (sssshhhhhh -- we don't want them to try to hike rates here) in NJ one has to have a business account to install the lines. My account is under my LLC and it's completely separate from my residential account. Monthly charges - as in Peter's case on LI - are around $60. Is it simply a matter of being treated like the small businesses we are because we ARE on a business account? And would that be a remedy for AT&T? If not, I'd say the above might be a good try. The SBA could very well be a help.
ChrisMezzolesta
Club 300

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do believe I am on a Small Business account, in fact I know I am. Sure was a lot of meat in that post, wish there were enough of us affected to try a class action! Smile but in the meantime, simply trying to get more ISDN work to pay for it is I guess the mode for now.
ConnieTerwilliger
Triple G

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first ISDN connection was a business account and several years ago and I discovered that another talent in the same market was paying far less than I was for her lines - so I called her to see why and discovered that she was on residential - so I was able (at that time) to switch to residential and reduced my monthly fee to around $53. (Thank you Bobbin.) But as she just posted, apparently that isn't available anymore - at least where she just relocated.

My lines are active about 5 times a month right now - with one old client recently returning after not seeing them for a couple of years. Source-Connect is installed as well and I use that with one Italian client primarily.
ChrisMezzolesta
Club 300

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any actual difference between the business and residential if they are both BRI? Still 2 64k B channels and one D channel, right? Wonder why there would be 2 pricing schemes for the same thing? (or I just answered my own question - schemes...) Gets fishier every day, but almost afraid to call AT&T again since they'll probably shut me down completely. Service my ass.
melissa eX
MMD

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No difference. Just that, here, Verizon no longer offers it as a service on residential accounts. Unless you're grandfathered in, I think. They used to.
Mike Harrison
M&M

Location: Equidistant from New York City and Philadelphia, along the NJ Shore

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Grandfathering might still hold true, but if you were to move - as I did a few years ago, to a new place only 15 minutes away (I live in the same state as Melissa, about an hour away), they will cancel your residential ISDN account and (with great agony) create a business account for it. However, with the exception of the rate going up by about 10 bucks and getting a separate bill, nothing else changed.

But as time goes by, there are less Verizon (or maybe all Telcos) people who even know what ISDN is: "Oh... do you mean DSL?" So if/when a problem arises, you better hope you can get your Valium prescription renewed. You're gonna need it.

I've kept my old fashioned copper phone line because not even cellular is immune from power outages. But, as evidenced by a 2009 newspaper article, Verizon cares less and less about the copper network... and anything and everything attached to it.

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/09/17/verizon-boss-hangs-up-on-landline-phone-business/

imaginator
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...chris. i believe mine has always been a "residential" account, not business. don't know if that would make any difference.

like connie, i don't have a lot of biz through ISDN, but it does account for most of the high-dollar jobs i've gotten through a few sources. that's what i try and remember in those months where it doesn't bring in anything at all.
Rowell Gormon's Clogged Blog - http://voices2go.com/blog
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

imaginator wrote:
...but it does account for most of the high-dollar jobs i've gotten..

Ain't that the truth! As I posted some time ago after I first had it installed... my first ISDN job paid for the hardware, install and about 18 months of service. While not all jobs are that good, the ISDN jobs are always good for the bank balance... and it's the session and done... no mucking around with files and editing. To me, it's opened up a whole new area of clients... to use a hackneyed sports metaphor... like moving from the minors to the majors.

I have found two Verizon field techs, one install and one maintenance, who know all about ISDN. They've both given me their cell-phone numbers. Evidently, Long Island is littered with broadcasters and media personalities who like to work radio from home... especially out in The Hamptons Smile
Glenn Moore
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Ohio I am told Residential ISDN is not available. There are talent here that have had ISDN for a long time and "Grandfathered" in with a Residential ISDN account. It was recommended when I had my lines installed in my old house a few years ago that I make it a business account. When I moved last summer I worked myself with AT&T to transfer the service. I asked them to make it a Residential account and they wouldn't. I called AT&T the other day and after I was transferred twice and then given another number to call I spoke with a rep who said that indeed AT&T is trying to phase out the copper lines for fiber-optic. That is why they are spiking the prices in the areas they control. Unfortunately, where I live I have no choice in the matter since AT&T services this area. At some point it will make more sense to use Source Connect and just pay the $35 or so Bridging fee.

Last edited by Glenn Moore on Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
bobbinbeamo
M&M

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here here, Glen.
And Chris, the other type of ISDN lines used by businesses like banks, are data only. Ours, are obviously voice and data. So clarified by the cool man who installed my lines not so long ago.

Speaking of grandfathering, my friend who lives near Appleton, WI has had her lines for 5 years and pays $45/month on a personal (residential) acct. Yes, AT&T is trying to smoke us out of ISDN here by raising fees. So what do we do? Chris, I'm going to work harder at landing more ISDN gigs, and look to VOIP/and bridging services in about a year for me.
bobbinbeamo
M&M

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE: I just received my 2nd ISDN service bill and it's over $300! Pricing went up as of Jan. 1st. for ISDN subscribers in Wisconsin, Illinios, Indiana, Michigan & Ohio. GOUGHED!

I am really dismayed and super pissed. I spent MORE time on the phone today to get clarification. They eliminated offering ISDN residential service as of 7/16/12.

I'm going to actively seek alternate solutions. This is robbery.
heyguido
MMD

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got an ISDN rig sitting in the closet. I've also got AT&T Uverse twisted copper that supplies cable, internet, and phone in a package deal that beats TimeWarner, Dish, and others on price.

AT&T's quote for ISDN service to my address was over $250 a month.... and the copper at the corner was less than 50ft from my house....

It's obvious that AT&T, and others, have no interest in continuing this service to individual accounts, and hope that existing accounts will find an alternative.

It's time for studios that rely on antiquated technology move on, and settle on a new technology as standard. I eagerly await that day.
Charlie Channel
Club 300

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobbinbeamo wrote:
... This is robbery.

Regrets for not getting back on this thread sooner. I've finally got Humpty back together again, at least for the moment. AT & T had the incorrect pick code, thus no LD access. Resolved this morning. 5 days. Fragmented business operations. What a ride, that's all I can say.

How did we get here:

I think technological innovation drives us all. But, economics are at the core. The game really is about numbers. All any of us ask is that the numbers be fair and reasonable. So, here's how all this began.

Years ago AT & T had a virtual monopoly on telecommunications in the U.S., as telecommunications services were thought of as a public utility, subject to government regulation. Then, along came deregulation and the bust-up of the AT & T monopoly. For me, SBC installed my ISDN lines in Northern California. MCI had the LD. Rates were reasonable.

MCI lost me, as a customer, as they fizzled into craziness. I even had MCI as my residential carrier -- which was the source of the fizzle. They'd bundled my services, without telling me, so I pulled the plug on the whole mess.

Look and behold! A few years ago AT & T returned!!! Resurrection, of sorts. Still, my ISDN rate is $55/mo, without LD. I'm good with that. Residential or business? Well, my business is in my residence (as is the trend for 1099'ers today). I told them that's not my problem.

I figured out, a few years ago, that if I got a Terminal Adapter with POTS capability, I'd get both an ISDN circuit for VO and with a simple Data Transfer Switch box ($20.00), get the best of both worlds, i.e., two phone lines - one for voice and the other for FAX - and ISDN for voice over work.

Sweet. Nice ROI for POTS TA. I need phone lines for business and now have the ability to not have one separate line for work related telephone calls. After all, I don't use ISDN for VO all that often.

I didn't need LD. I bill my clients by the hour (in my other line of work I just dialed 1010-1234 [or whatever] and passed the charges through) and I told everyone else to call me.

The only down side is that if I'm in an ISDN session, I cannot receive a POTS call or fax. But, hey, by that time I got a cell phone for business (now a "smart phone") and my residential number, so ... What, me worry?

But, we're still in the "de-regulated" zone as the technology evolves. Unfortunately, the Telco's may be engaged in discriminatory pricing practices, to drive economic advantage for themselves. The pricing of ISDN is certainly is NOT driving innovation by the Telco's.

How come I got all the download bandwidth for HD TV, and upload bandwidth that exceeds a T1 line (for a price) with Comcast or AT & T, but no device I can use to simply plug in and get high quality two-way audio low latency transmission and reception with the other end -- when I can get POTS using the same service?

But, I got a device (for me, AudioTX running on Microsoft OS). A device I can plug in to an Ethernet cable or the telephone line. It works. Why should I pay 5 or 6 times more for twisted pair cooper telecommunications service if I move one block (or disconnect the service for a couple of months)?

As far as repeaters go, and the supposed technicalities of all that, they've got them whether you're using IP or ISDN. What I don't have is the Telco or ISP saying, you got an interface device: plug it in and you can do whatever you want with the data pipe we're providing. You want to watch TV, go for it. You want to upload data, do it. You want to not and do something else, do that. You upload and download, your choice. We give you the data pipe.

Is the discrimination in pricing based on the fact that communications data service providers are also content service purveyors, including the hardware that supports that content?

That is what's got me scratching my head and thinking, somebody needs to help straighten this mess out so we producers can get on with doing business and economically delivering quality services.

I'm tempted to do more than type replies on this Board (a formal complaint to the FTC or FCC?). But, I'm just thinking, that's all. Maybe somebody will deploy the better mouse trap that will break the paradigm without making this a federal case. Maybe the market place will.

That's my $0.02. Now, back to work.
bobbinbeamo
M&M

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I figured out, a few years ago, that if I got a Terminal Adapter with POTS capability, I'd get both an ISDN circuit for VO and with a simple Data Transfer Switch box ($20.00), get the best of both worlds, i.e., two phone lines - one for voice and the other for FAX - and ISDN for voice over work.

Charlie-
Can you please explain this a bit further? Do you have traditional (two paired copper wire ISDN service) or is what you've described a "work around", using a single POTS line using the terminal adapter and a transfer switch box.
Or do you have two different regular POTS lines with that gear set up?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: