VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help a novice VO out, please?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barry Bollinger

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:46 am    Post subject: Help a novice VO out, please? Reply with quote

Hi Group,
I just joined and haven't posted before. I'm still studying FAQ's and had trouble finding posting procedure, so I hope this is correct.

I've been chasing a client here for 4+ months now, and won a narration for a movie in a computer game. Today, he emails that I'll have to do ADR, but when I'm in the studio, i won't have the movie to see.

He's going to send me the movies to practice with, and in the studio I will have to match the "placeholder audio" which was done in Arabic, and is 'cut in stone'.

I'm sure I can do this, but I was wondering if anyone on line can help me to understand maybe how to approach this...or any helpful ideas would be great.

thanks,
Barry
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without knowing your studio set up it is difficult to make a recommendation. A monitor in your voice booth is going to be essential.

My main concern would be with the translation as the sentence contruction of modern Arabic is wildy different from English so keeping the sync is going to be extremely difficult.
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another idea is that after practicing til your mouth bleeds to get the timing down... record it and take it with you on a small iPod or .mp3 player or tape player, etc... that way you can have an the audio playing in an ear for reference and you can stop and start as you need.

It's an ear prompter with timing thing...

An on-camera guy around here does this, only problem is he has only one read... if you change the copy he can't do the VO, because it is not on his recorded audio...

Toodles

Frank F
Don G.
King's Row

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if you don't have picture, for ADR I'd hope they could at least provide you with the beeps for timing. It would be nice if they could also provide timings on the script itself.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes indeed-- beeps and time-duration notation.

Recording over Arabic in your ear?
Sounds like hell on earth.
It's hard enough with English rolling in your ear.
asnively
Triple G

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deirdre wrote:
Yes indeed-- beeps and time-duration notation.

Recording over Arabic in your ear?
Sounds like hell on earth.
It's hard enough with English rolling in your ear.

I think he meant to record himself in English in his home studio with the correct timing-- he might be able to record to picture at home, for example, and then use his own scratch track as a reference in his ear during the actual session.

Last edited by asnively on Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
asnively wrote: I think he meant to record himself in English in his home studio with the correct timing

O.K., I was not succinct or clear in my explanation - sorry. Gasp

Yes, do the translation and subsequent recording to time with the video in your home studio (if possible). Then with that audio on a portable player, you have the ability to have all you will need to do it 'live' and potentially in sync as much as is humanly possible - for the actual semi-ADR session...

I have always found when doing ADR - knowledge of the script and general timing issues are moot as I can read to my own audio and pacing. Lip syncing someone else's movements, inflections, and pacing? That is always a challenge - as is listening to someone else in my ear tell me what to do... LOL

It would also impress the heck out of the producer, that you did it without picture/video and it was in sync when he/she goes to Post.

I think that might clear it up a bit... I hope. (Clear as mud.)

Toodles

Frank F
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: