VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Powered Studio Monitors

View previous topic :: View next topic  
D Voice
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:08 pm    Post subject: Powered Studio Monitors Reply with quote

Rather than reaching around to turn on and off the monitors, I have them plugged into a power strip with individual switches (in other words the switch on the back is ON all the time.. So when i want to turn on/off the monitors I press the corresponding power switch on the power strip.

Just wondering: by doing it this, (rather than turning the monitor on or off on the back) am I creating more- or less- wear and tear on the monitors?
Mike Harrison
M&M

Location: Equidistant from New York City and Philadelphia, along the NJ Shore

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my five decades of tinkering with electronic devices, I think I'm pretty safe in saying there is no difference in powering on and off your monitors via a power strip vs the monitors themselves. I'll go one further and say, with the quality level some manufacturers use in their components, you're probably saving wear and tear on the speakers' switches by doing it this way.

In my studio, every piece of equipment, including computer(s), runs through two power strips which are, in turn, plugged into an uninterruptible power supply/battery backup. When I power it up each morning, everything powers up.

And, every night, and when I go out for extended periods (especially when the weather can change quickly during the summer months), after shutting down the computer(s), the uninterruptible power supply gets physically unplugged from the wall outlet. The only thing remaining powered is the landline phone/headset, cable modem and router (the cable between the router and computer also gets disconnected). This, plus leaving my phone patch and ISDN codec disconnected from the telephone network until needed, is due to previous experience with power surges from lightning strikes.

Chuck Davis
M&M

Location: Where I love to be...Between the Vineyards and the Cows.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here Mike.

One good phone line surge, and it's a big Telos bill.
The Zephyr is only connected to mains and phone line, when it's in use.
Foog
DC

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a related note: I have a similar problem with turning my monitors off using the switch, with the added wrinkle that I find myself forgetting to turn the power bar off far more often than I would like. Is there any long term harm to leaving them on standby mode (They are Adam F5s) overnight every few days?

heyguido
MMD

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only to your power bill. Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: