VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OT: Ain't We Got Fun
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:53 pm    Post subject: OT: Ain't We Got Fun Reply with quote

We live in a lovely, small condo complex. Turns out our neighbor had a rusted out drain that leaked into our dining room, living room, and master bedroom for months, filling those spaces with mold and mildew, warping the floor a bit... all that business.

Coming from the desert I'm not used to this, but the restoration company has to remove all of our furniture and related belongings, put them in storage, remove all the old flooring, fumigate/treat the entire place, dehumidify to the nth degree, etc. etc. etc. We have to stay in a hotel for 5 days or so while this all goes on!

Luckily (if there's any luck in this) my studio room is not affected, so in theory I can sneak back in and work if I don't mind all the machinery noise! Well, we'll see about that part of it.

Oh, and we have to pick replacement flooring and have that installed. No friggin' carpet this time!

It takes the dullness out of the time in lockdown.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry to hear bruce! on the plus side, i can TOTALLY recommend smartcore wood plank vinyl flooring (Lowes) - spend the extra & get the thicker stuff. it's beautiful - doesn't sound cheap or feel cheap when you walk on it and is almost indestructible. it floats or glues down.

we did our basement level with it after a flooding incident & have been super-happy.

Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Se what fun you are having?

Just think you get to choose new tile and flooring. It's isn't as bad as it seems.

Regarding Todd's comment: You might be glad it floats.

As for the machinery noise... I just do not have much to say.

Good luck to both of you and be glad you are not locked down at home for a few days.

Frank F
samowry
Club 300

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Sorry to hear that my friend. My studio is at your disposal if construction noise is too great. Casbah for breaks is included with the offer.

Love to you both.
Kim Fuller
DC

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh - so sorry you are going through this, Bruce (and Emma!) and after all your medical issues too.

But - about floating floors -be careful - that's what got us into trouble when we bought our house. The previous owners had installed brand new laminate (floating) but had not bothered to fix any of the leaks in the pipes under the sink nor the one in the hose to the clothes washer around the corner.

So for about three weeks, the leaks dripped out of sight, under the floating flooring, and we were unaware. Until one day when I walked into the kitchen wearing socks instead of shoes and noticed the small beads of water soaking through them. Wiped it up and hey - there it was again, coming up through the seams in the laminate.

Started tearing up flooring. 21 days, $15,000 and a lot of interrupted work later - it finally was moisture-remediated, torn up, leaks repaired and replaced with new (stick down) flooring.

That was end of March and happening directly after a very stressful move, I thought that was about as bad as it could get.

(Then April arrived and said "hold my beer".)

Last edited by Kim Fuller on Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jack Daniel
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah Bruce, that is rough. I sympathize: for the first 3.5 y here in LaLa Land, I lived in a townhouse that was, by and large, a wonderful experience, quiet and good for business. But in the lat year a number of incidents—neighbors ripping out their flooring, MOLD in the air ducts that required a procedure not unlike your own, a deicsion by the HOA to re-roof, and a need to entirely refloor the upper storey—made things less savory.

I get it. But I can assure you, I was less sanguine than you are. You should get a sanguinity medal, assuming they still make them.
melissa eX
MMD

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

todd ellis wrote:
... i can TOTALLY recommend smartcore wood plank vinyl flooring (Lowes) - spend the extra & get the thicker stuff. it's beautiful - doesn't sound cheap or feel cheap when you walk on it and is almost indestructible. it floats or glues down.

I second that. I did my small kitchen in it as a test for using it in the rest of the apartment. I got the Blue Ridge Pine. I love it. Doesn't look cheap at all. Its easy on your feet and when I've spilled water on it it just beads on top. It's not laminate. It's 100% waterproof.
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:23 am    Post subject: Re: OT: Ain't We Got Fun Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
in theory I can sneak back in and work if I don't mind all the machinery noise! Well, we'll see about that part of it.

Sounds like you're having serious mold remediation done. You definitely don't want to be anywhere near there. And you should probably remove any microphones from the premises until the mold is confirmed to be gone.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the caution Lee. I can (and will) lock my studio off from the rest of the house, but I’m thinking now of putting a ziplock bag around my mics until I need to use them just in case.

B

Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have any of those little silica gel packets, it's probably not a bad idea to throw one into the bag with the mics. If you don't have any, maybe wrap a handful of uncooked rice in some gauze.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Eddie Eagle
M&M

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Bruce you might think about Saturnia or stone floors. They last forever and never get saturated with moisture.
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, here's an update....

The restoration company figures the affected areas (about 70% of the house) need total removal and restoration, including tearing up the subfloor, dehumidifying for days, cutting open the bottom of walls and then replastering and painting and such. So instead of the original 5 days of evacuation, their lead contact said the house will not be livable for four to six WEEKS!

I pushed back and she conceded that we could live just in the two rooms not affected, my office and Emma's studio/guest room, after two weeks or so. Talk about isolated living! I'm so glad DW and I get along well.

I'll let you know how two weeks or so of hotel living works for us, and then true isolation at home.

Argh.

B

Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You two could come to the ranch. You are always welcome.

F2
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would an AirBnB house as opposed to a hotel be an option?
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crikey-- not a can of worms, but a can of mold. bleah.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: