VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ed Phillips Introduction to the Forum

View previous topic :: View next topic  
enphillips

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:41 am    Post subject: Ed Phillips Introduction to the Forum Reply with quote

Greetings!

It's great to be a part of this forum community. Thanks Bruce!

My VO journey began in 2007. Although I had worked (and continue to work) in radio for many years previously, I didn't really know what VO was. I guess I "stumbled" into it.

My family and I were living overseas at the time and we needed a way to reside legally in the country. I was hearing a lot of British voices on the two or three English radio stations in the country and wondered if there was a market for American English recording work. I followed my gut and decided to find out. Nothing ventured. Nothing gained.

My wife and I recorded a few sample scripts and put them on CD's. From there, I drove to 20-25 production houses in our city and ended up doing occasional VO work for five of them. Thus began the hobby stage of VO. We were earning a little extra money on the side and having fun doing it. Oh, by the way, we obtained our residency as "Broadcast Artists" doing this from 2007-2013.

In 2014, I attended my first VO Atlanta. I don't remember how I found out about it but decided to attend. To say this was a significant turning point in my VO journey would be an understatement. My mindset shifted at that time from a hobbyist to something I seriously wanted to pursue for the rest of my life. I just knew it. Getting our home studio set up in 2017 was a major step in that direction.

The journey continues. There is always something new to learn. I love it. My primary focus is corporate narration and e-learning. Most of my work to date (about 85 percent) has been corporate narration so I figured I'll follow that path and hone my skills in that genre.

I'm so glad I found out about VO-BB: A VO Family on Facebook. We truly are a family.....a community. I experienced that firsthand at my first VO Atlanta in 2014. No doubt I'll experience that again with all of you. I look forward to corresponding with and learning from you!
BruceG
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Ed - and thanks for sharing your journey with us! It's really cool to see someone's perspective as they relate how they discovered this craft we call VO. Smile
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you’re here!

Bruce
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Mandy Nelson
MMD

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome! Looking forward to your contributions.

Manfillappsoc: The Mandy and Philip mutual appreciation Society. Who's in your network?

Have you seen my mic closet? ~ me to my future husband
melissa eX
MMD

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome, Ed!

I also do a lot of corporate video - mostly anthem type stuff. About half of it is out of Europe. A lot of people think corporate VO is boring. Far from it.
DougVox
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, Ed!

Another radio (mostly Smooth Jazz and Creative Services) and VO Atlanta vet here.

Welcome!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: