VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Studio Monitors...Whatcha Lis'nin With?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brian in Charlotte
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:30 am    Post subject: Studio Monitors...Whatcha Lis'nin With? Reply with quote

Hi All: Just wondering what studio monitors folks are using...I'm about to change mine out (M-Audio Studiophile LX-4) and have a good pair in mind (Adam A-7) but would really be interested in knowing what you monitor with.

It is my understanding that the Adam A-7's translate elsewhere very well and I was able to hear them at the NAB Radio Show yesterday.

Just wond'rin.

Brian in Charlotte
www.VoiceOverForYou.com
Blogging at: VoicePro.blogspot.com
TheVoiceOfBob
14th Avenue

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian,

Have you looked at or gave a listen to any of the KRK monitors? I hear nothing but good things about them.

I'm in the market for a pair of studio monitors myself.

The Voice of Bob
Brian in Charlotte
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Bob...I "sorta" have...a friend of mine has a mastering studio in Los Angeles and does mastering for big named artists...he also recommended checking into that brand since I'm looking at staying within a budget of sorts. I will take some time to look at them though!!

Thanks for your time and thought!
Twitter.com/TheVoiceofBrian
Gp

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look at the Samson Resolv 65a. I think around 300.00 for the pair. Nice sound. I have a pair. I set them up in the air a little, about shoulder height, it's the sweet spot. I'd really like some Genelec's but...they are a little pricey for me right now.
Brian in Charlotte
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gp do you feel you have good response over the entire spectrum? The LX-4's I have use a Sub...OK, but when it comes to dialing in the Sub, that removes the sense of confidence in my final mix as a person can dial in as much Sub as they like...not good at all.

I have run tone through the system at different frequencies to check and see how flat or lack there of, this current system is. It would be great if I could put an EQ inline ahead of the monitors and then I could make it flat, but quality monitors will sensitively produce frequencies far better than low quality...DUH, so it still leaves me with the potential need of higher quality monitors.

So, right now, I have taken various genre's of professionally mastered CD's and played them back to back using clips of them in ProTools...then I set the Sub to an input level that seems to fit nicely in the middle given all the different types of music. I have also taken my recordings and played them in various machines (boom box, car etc.) to see how things stack up.
steveanthony
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian,

Have you gone through the room and found where the nulls are? If not, here's a nice article to check out:

http://www.realtraps.com/art_vibes.htm

If you're talking about running through the entire spectrum, I believe you want to make sure the room is set up with treatment where needed so you don't get mislead by nulls and cancellation.

And I'm using the KRK Rockit 8's. They are working out fine.

Steve
Brian in Charlotte
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly a good point, Steve...the issue I have is that I converted one of my walk-in closets into my recording area. It's dead in here, thus without question that presents its own issues. I have the walls covered in sound proofing fabric which has foam behind it.

YIKES

Brian in Charlotte
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something which yu might find interesting is from this company: www.earfuze.com

These are earphones or as some call them ear monitors. I just received my set and am pleased. Tell Aaron I sent you if you choose to contact him.

I personally use a pair of Genelec 8040A's for near-field's and either the Klipsch K-horns or a pair of JBL's for far-field's. A lot has to do with the type of venue where the project will be heard. Is it broadcast; T.V., Radio, internet, personal listening devices. Is it voice-only, is it mixed voice and sfx, telephone, music oriented, etc.? Each mix is different for each unique project.

Believe it or not, a pair of Creative Labs Inspire T10's, or the Inspire 5200 5.1 set of speakers are fairly good near-field monitors. You can pay more, but why?

Toodles

F2
Brian in Charlotte
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Frank...good to "read" from you. Genelec...whew!!!!

Certainly your comments are understood and I'm with you, as with anyone who does what we do, having a pair of monitors that are a fair representation of what others should/would hear (translation) is all I'm after. It's the ole slogan they used to have with the NS10's, "if it sounds good on these, it will sound good anywhere" that I'm aiming for.

I have heard of the earfuze things...I'll check them!

:o)
TheVoiceOfBob
14th Avenue

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank F wrote:
I personally use a pair of Genelec 8040A's for near-field's and either the Klipsch K-horns or a pair of JBL's for far-field's. Toodles

F2

AHHH Frank you are my new buddy! I am a Klipsch bigot from way back. My audio system in the living room is all Klipsch. A pair of original Heresy speakers for the main pair and Klipsch surrounds with the Klipsch Synergy sub. What I want to do is move the Heresy speakers to the rear and get a pair of La Scalas up front.

Sorry for the threadjack Brian. I see mention of Paul W. and I get excited.

The Voice of Bob
Gp

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian my Samsons do a pretty good job of letting me hear the subtleties that most people in the listening audience would never hear. Like strange chair sounds or odd breathing etc. As far as the entire spectrum...I really have no idea. But they are clear and accurate enough for to get what I need from them. When I first bought them I had them on the desktop. They were way too flat...moving them up to shoulder height made a huge difference.

And they will work until I can afford to get some Genelecs.....which of course are wicked spiffy!! <----new catch phrase.
I'm also a klipsch fan. I have a complete klipsch surround sound system...with RF35's the rs35 surrounds and center channel and an infinity 10" sub. Klipsch is now doing a hard push for their heritage series bringing many of the models back.
Lance Blair
M&M

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the KRK Rokit 5s: and I usually monitor with just one of them when dealing with the raw vo. I keep it elevated on Auralex foam platforms because they really resonate on whatever they touch. Also, they are a bit boxy sounding and definitely hyped on the very low end: but I find you can make very accurate recordings and mixes with them. I also use a Cambridge Soundworks poratble monitoring pack with sub to see what it sounds like on a prosumer/computer monitoring type situation if I'm doing a web/CD-ROM program.
SkinnyJohnny
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using a pair of EV Sentry 100A's powered by a Crown Amp. I've had them for years and haven't had any problems or complaints. I did get the speaker bug and have been looking at Gelenec's or Blue Sky's (that is when I hit the lottery)!
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian,

We're using the Adam's in all of our studios at the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association. I think they are great monitors. At home I'm using a pair of the M-Audio BX5a monitors, which I like a lot. But, if I could afford anything, I'd pick the Adams.
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Brian in Charlotte
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, I have heard a number of folks say the same thing about the Adam's. They are $999 pr. and the price is set tight by the manufacturer. My mind just might be working overtime with the whole monitor thing. I have had no complaints whatsoever but the more I get into things other than simply dry voiceover, the more I would obviously need to rely on my monitors. I need cash flow!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: