VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My New VO Demo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dagoldenknight86

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:26 pm    Post subject: My New VO Demo Reply with quote

Hey there!

I've created a new VO demo and was wondering if ya'll could have a listen and tell me what you think? I'm always trying to grow my self and boy - I have a long way to go!

http://www.goldenknightmedia.com/isaiahknight.mp3

Thanks so much for the time, and Happy Holidays!

Isaiah
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have a long way to go!

maybe --- but i think you've got a great start. i don't usually comment in this section - because i think there are MUCH more qualified 'round these parts to do so ... that said ... i like your youthful high-energy sound - i am not fond of the choppy, overly edited 2nd bit - but i really like the "rock worship" bit -- watch the enunciation, though.

good luck!

Jeffrey Kafer
Assistant Zookeeper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not qualified to give a critique either, but I definitely think the 2nd spot is not one for your voice. An obviously youthful voice should not be hawking a retirement care facility.
Dave
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick listen...

Good youthful, hip feel to your stuff... and so... (1) I would dump the senior clip as it makes no sense for your style. (2) Shorten the clips you have to ten seconds or so each and (3) add more clips... show us a little more variety.

Hope this helps a little.

Happy holidays!
Bailey
4 Large

Location: Lake San Marcos... north of Connie, northwest of the Best.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not qualified to give critiques either... but here goes...

The voice is there, but there appeared to be a lot of over-processing... unless I'm using the wrong word. Also... try taking the demo off of the freeway, and put in a few quieter "intimate" reads. Variety is probably the word. You might drop #2... unless you talking about sending Grandpa to the Old Folks Home.
VO-BB Member #00044 W00T
AOVA Graduate 02/2004 ;
"Be a Voice, not an Echo."Ninja
dagoldenknight86

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone!

Quote:
Also... try taking the demo off of the freeway, and put in a few quieter "intimate" reads. Variety is probably the word

I totally understand. Here's what I was thinking, but failed, lol. All of my clients request a very "up" read. Hence the very small range reflected in my demo. I like to use spots I've actually done in a reel, but if I was to can a bit, where would I get copy? And what would be appropriate for my voice (other then nursing homes).

Quote:
there appeared to be a lot of over-processing... unless I'm using the wrong word

That's another question I have. All of the spots presented in my demo are already produced spots. So I can't change any of the processing. I have a career in radio (and know many of you also have or are currently have fun with that, too) and it's expected to be "squashed". How much processing is to much processing in a demo? Should I make it sound like one would hear it on TV or radio? Or rather how the producer would get it straight from my microphone?

Many thanks again for all the help and critique. I really appreciate this!

Thanks,
Isaiah
Bailey
4 Large

Location: Lake San Marcos... north of Connie, northwest of the Best.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as copy is concerned... Copy is where you find it - Newspapers - Magazines - any ads anywhere. Most are well written and easily fit into 15, 30, or 60 second parameters. Experiment with what is out there.

Most demos, at the start, are canned. But the idea is to show what your voice can do... and is capable of doing.

I hope a real "techy" jumps in now to explain the over processing stuff for me.
VO-BB Member #00044 W00T
AOVA Graduate 02/2004 ;
"Be a Voice, not an Echo."Ninja
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: