VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Long Form (REALLY Long Form) Rates

View previous topic :: View next topic  
craigieb

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:50 pm    Post subject: Long Form (REALLY Long Form) Rates Reply with quote

Okay, so it's not an audio book, but somebody wants me to read 300 pages of something.

Any ideas on this? Best to price per page? Per word? Per minute? Per syllable? Per punctuation mark?

I'm sure there will be lots of suggestions like, "Whatever they'll pay," or "Hourly rate for however long it takes you," but if you have a track record with audiobooks or something, and can give me a better idea, that'd be cooler.

Anybody?

Beuller?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$10/page
billelder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Anybody?

Beuller?
LOL!!!! I needed that early morning laugh. I'm sorry I don't have an answer for you, but wanted to say it is nice to see you post. Hope everything is going well for you. (Obviously so if someone wants you to read a book. Oh. You mean out loud?)
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For audiobooks, I think the union rate is around $145 per studio hour.

Mary
craigieb

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mary,

I've always thought that to be a bit unfair for the client, though...and quite hard to defend on the back end.

CLIENT: "It shouldn't have taken you so long to read this."

ME: "But it did, so pay up."

CLIENT: "But I was told by three other people that it should only have taken half the time, plus you cleared your throat a lot."

It seems like the "per studio hour" rate, while great for the talent, always has the potential to leave a bad taste in the client's mouth. When you link the rate to the actual physical script, like words or pages, that puts the onus on the client.

Having said that, there must be a reason why AFTRA has an hourly rate for such a thing...but I think I'd just be more comfortable billing it the other way. For shorter stuff, I have a per-recorded-minute rate, and nobody has ever complained about that. It's just that 300 pages is a bit long to use my standard per-minute rate, which is why I was wondering what other people use.

Thanks for the reply!
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could use the union figure to show the client what a bargain s/he's getting. Say it takes you 12 hours to read 300 pages, 25 pages an hour. That's $1740, which doesn't sound outrageous as it is. You could use that as a project maximum, or you could set some lower maximum amount. If you're non-union you could set your idealized figure accordingly.

If this is not an audiobook, that will eventually be listened to over and over by lots of people, but is rather, say, a script that the author just wants to hear to help them edit it, and doesn't have to be "perfect", then setting your project maximum much lower makes sense.

I'm new to this business, and this is not helping me one bit-- I have no idea what to say when people ask "what do you charge?" It doesn't sound like anybody else knows either!!! :o

Mary
red

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[b]Hi.. I am brand new to this board. I have found it through a friend of mine and I have to say I am very impressed and thankful.

in regards to the 300 page delima...

I have never done a 300 page stint but what you all were saying about charging page vs. studio hour seems to be what I have ran into as well.

mine was only a 17 page voice prompts for a survey for some fast food chains....

and depending on the delivery method of the clients choice will play a role in it as well....

say if you are able to put it on an FTP site and just send it in one large chunk... then the hourly rate may work.

But trust me... if the client wants you to call an 800 number provided and download your prompts....DO NOT take the hourly rate.. If you Quote them by the page on such a fairly large project you will most likely recieve a fair deal with both parties involeved.

just my .02 worth.

[/url]
Gp

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 8:49 pm    Post subject: 300 pages?? Does this project have Webster's in the title? Reply with quote

Hey Craig,

What you want to do is charge by the recorded hour. This is how audio books are paid for and typically at 300.00 to 400.00 per recorded hour. Record 15 minutes, see how many pages you've covered and bid accordingly. That way the client is paying for finished product and is not charged every time you cough and stumble.

Based on the end usage of the product adjust the rate from there. A typical novel is about 176 pages and is usually recorded over 10 or so CD's.

Greg
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig,

I recorded a 22 page industrial today for a client's web-based training. At first I was told it was one of four modules, I charged a flat rate of $1000 per module, finished audio, and I'm reading against an AVI file. I have since been told there will be three additional modules so seven total, all around 25-30 pages.

Kevin
Mike
Nasty Brit

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgenus wrote:
Craig,

I recorded a 22 page industrial today for a client's web-based training. At first I was told it was one of four modules, I charged a flat rate of $1000 per module, finished audio, and I'm reading against an AVI file. I have since been told there will be three additional modules so seven total, all around 25-30 pages.

Kevin

I usually stay out of the rates discussions since my market is way different to most people's on this board, with the exception of Steve who lurkes around here someplace. He's in the same market as me (Japan).

Most of my work is industrials, and here a VO is usually booked for a two hour session at an average of around $600 per session with overtime rates negotiated after the event by the agent.

These are always done at outside studios. I've never done an industrial in my own studio.

However, it is quite common to spend the first 30 minutes or more re-writing the script! Clients are always looking for ways to save money, and these days they've been cutting out the proof reader. Instead they get the-guy-in-the-office-who-speaks-Engrish to do it. It's a false economy however, because my agent likes to negotiate extra if I have to re-write a lot.

There are times, however, when no amount of re-writing is going to save a terminally ill script. You just have to go into the booth and hope that they don't stick your name on the credits.

M
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: