VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I think I'm going to cry...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:29 pm    Post subject: I think I'm going to cry... Reply with quote

but they're tears of relief and joy.

I bought a new microphone last summer and shortly afterwards, a client complained about some noise she heard in the recording. She called it electrical noise, but it's actually a low frequency rumble between phrases. It looks like reverb, but I couldn't figure out where it would be coming from. That's why I've been busy adding more foam to my little recording chamber. It hasn't helped. Today I started thinking, maybe my mic stand is moving - maybe I'm unconsciously shifting slightly while I'm breathing, and the carpet is giving slightly and causing the stand to move. This is what the noise looks like - see the very wavy line between phrases:

Then my dear husband got involved. He said, let's take the stand out, and he suspended the mic from the ceiling temporarily. The rumble was GONE!!! The stand is now back, but with weights on it: a 2-lb sand-filled velcro-strapped wrist weight at the base of the stand and another up near where the mic is. Not only that, my whole recording is quieter!!!!!!!!!!!

In looking at earlier recordings I see that the noise was present with other microphones, but not quite as pronounced because those mics had shock mounts - the new one doesn't. Exactly how/where the energy was being transferred to the mic stand to cause the reverb, I don't know, but I can hardly believe we solved the problem. And without throwing any money at it!

That's the epiphany for the day Wink
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mary,

What a great story. I'm so glad to know you've found the source and the solution to this problem.
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
BenWils
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent for you, Mary! I remember seeing those odd looking waves when you sent me some things from time to time. I am so sorry, I thought your mic had a shock mount and never brought that up.

Anyway, so glad you got the problem figured out. Your discovery may help others with the same issue. Does the Lawson mic have an available shock mount made specifically for the mic?

"To be really good at voiceover, you need to improve your footwork and hip snap."
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCM,

You just have the right "vibes". Are you near a heavily traveled street, do you have BIG equipment nearby... is someone practicing. are you prone to earthquakes?

I am sooooo happy to hear you found the problem -- and the solution. Now get back to work!

Toodles

F2
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben, at the time, I think you referred to reverb. It didn't really compute then because my room is only about 5.5' x 7' x 8' and looks like this:

(funny how the picture makes the mic look like it's right up against a wall but it isn't)

But in studying that sound wave it became clear that it was indeed some kind of reverb, it just took a while to figure out where it could be coming from. So you really did help by planting the seed of the idea!

Thanks for the warm wishes, all Smile It is so good to get that monkey off my back (now, if it had been an albatross, I would have been much happier...)
Jowillie
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing that, Mary. Makes you wonder how many other problems we've all had that were misdiagnosed?

On a similar subject, I have hundreds of yards of muslin fabric (used on photo sets) and a source of Dupont 703 and 705 rigid insulation. My wife has volunteered to sew fabric enclosures for 2' x 4' panels. We are going to try a group of these panels to make sound absorbing gobos. I'll let you know how it goes.
If anyone else is interested in these panels, let me know and we'll figure out some kind of group price.

In the meantime--thanks to MCM's experience to remind us to make sure we are getting the most from what we have.
SkinnyJohnny
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Willie,
Those panels will make a world of difference. They are really so much better than foam. I replaced all the foam in my Whisperroom with panels and it's unbelievable the difference it made.
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay everybody - let's all go out and get panels!!

(just kidding Philip)

Sorry to keep going on about this, but I haven't gotten over it. I was looking for the solution to that wavy line between phrases, and now that I found it, it turns out to be the solution to the studio noise that has been plaguing me for the entire time I've been in this business (3 years now). When I first started recording after stabilising the mic stand this afternoon, I thought I might not have plugged the mic back in - I had a straight line. I had NEVER had a straight line before.

Life is Grand.
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mary,

I am reminded of a recent show about Karate with a guy whose Kiaya is so powerful it is said he can knock out an opponent with just his explosive voice. In a test he could ring a bell placed 30 feet from him with just his explosive breath and short burst yell.

Maybe, you are his female counterpart????!!!!

Now that is power.

Toodles

F2
KaraEdwards
M&M

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YAY Mary!!

I'm SO glad you were able to figure this out...I know it was driving you nuts!

Happy recording! Smile

Kara Edwards
http://www.karaedwards.com
kara@karaedwards.com
BenWils
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mary,

How many pop filters do you use? It looks like two or three in your photo. Just wondering.

"To be really good at voiceover, you need to improve your footwork and hip snap."
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I have a double one and a single one. I might not actually need them.

Heh.
bobbinbeamo
M&M

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay, Mary. It drives me nutz, too and I just keep going and trying different things until whatever issue is corrected. Glad it worked out. Many times this is exactly what it tales. Deduction and transition to resolution. Bravo!
Diane Maggipinto
Spreading Snark Worldwide

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crying right along with you, mary, and now know there's another good reason to be married Wink

hooooray for DH!
sitting at #8, though not as present as I'd like to be. Hello!

www.d3voiceworks.com
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DH= Designated Husband.

that's my favorite definition.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: