VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

In search of RATE structure for this. Help??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vox1
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:30 am    Post subject: In search of RATE structure for this. Help?? Reply with quote

Ahh, each project presents such unique variables. I could really use some
feedback for this one.

Client is interested in my work for variable length narrations. Usage?
Websites, (his and, his clients)...and, retail-sold DVDs for various subjects.

Lengths...anywhere from :30 or :15 second "intros" to up to 5, 10 or 15m.
(both for the website 'infomercials' and/or DVD content.

Any points of reference to help me create a fixed 'out-the-door' pricing
structure(like, factoring in a total buyout end-usage). I'll admit I more commonly do an hourly rate approach for mostly internal-use corporate
narration so this is a little different, for me anyway.

Any help today would be hugely appreciated....

Thanks!

MikeE

Saying something since 1970-
something
Dave
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: In search of RATE structure for this. Help?? Reply with quote

vox1 wrote:
Ahh, each project presents such unique variables. I could really use some
feedback for this one.

Client is interested in my work for variable length narrations. Usage?
Websites, (his and, his clients)...and, retail-sold DVDs for various subjects.

Lengths...anywhere from :30 or :15 second "intros" to up to 5, 10 or 15m.
(both for the website 'infomercials' and/or DVD content.

Any points of reference to help me create a fixed 'out-the-door' pricing
structure(like, factoring in a total buyout end-usage). I'll admit I more commonly do an hourly rate approach for mostly internal-use corporate
narration so this is a little different, for me anyway.

Any help today would be hugely appreciated....

Thanks!

MikeE

Hi Mike!

Just a thought. One way to go would be a monthly retainer if its an ongoing gig and you want to make things as simple for him as possible. Otherwise, I wouldn't "bundle" two or three projects (seperate companies) into one project/price/hour. That's not fair to you!!!

As for actual numbers why not create a rate sheet? X$ minimun charge, X$ for :30, :10 and XX$$ for 5, 10 or 15 minute narrations. Personally, I don't do by the hour stuff. All my work is project/usage based/priced. That way if I bang it out in 10 minutes or 10 hours...as long as I make the deadline...I work at my own pace. Maybe I'm getting a little cranky in my old age Laugh

Hope this helps a little.

Dave
vox1
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 4:09 pm    Post subject: Dave re: rate sheet Reply with quote

Quote:
As for actual numbers why not create a rate sheet? X$ minimun charge, X$ for :30, :10 and XX$$ for 5, 10 or 15 minute narrations. Personally, I don't do by the hour stuff. All my work is project/usage based/priced. That way if I bang it out in 10 minutes or 10 hours...as long as I make the deadline...I work at my own pace.

Dave, I appreciate the reply. Yup, figuring out rate sheet numbers is
actually what i'm tryin to come up with on this deal.

If it weren't being used for a DVD that's to be resold as a retail product vs. in-house corp narration, it'd be far easier to quote. I know that they don't want to go with a Union Cat.II industrial rate (i.e., hourly) so i need to devise a rate sheet that factors in this retail end-usage.

Something like you describe, i.e., up to:30 seconds = $X, up to 2 minutes
=$XX, and so on. It's just a lot harder given this kind of end-usage.

I wonder what anyone might consider to be a base minimum buyout for a :15 or :30 sec. script, to be used on a retail DVD forever...and maybe also on a website.

If I could just find a starting point from those lengths, based on a logical reference or formula to arrive at the figures, i'd be off and running.

Again, much appreciated!

M.E

something
Dave
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

I forget to ask...what is the DVD content? Since you mention its for retail sale that sounds like it could be worth more than plain vanilla corporate type stuff.

Dave
vox1
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:13 am    Post subject: Dave, re your question Reply with quote

These are, for example 6-DVD "sets" about stock-market 'daytrading'
(seminars that are packaged and marketed to investors).... and other
such seminar topics - Sort of a "home course" thing. While the majority
is an on-camera presentation, my role would strictly be a brief intro or
"set-up" (i.e., an infomercial 'build-up' or lead-in for a Tony Robbins
motivational series....) They are mainly investment-related.

I would suggest that the consumer for these would be a bit more upscale
than, say, exercise products, for example..

something
Debbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This seems to be one of the most difficult subjects to come to terms with. For me, I LOVE voicing but I LOATHE the cost structure side of it.

My biggest contract was done via email and it ended up being decided upon via a final email whereby I said something along the lines of "ok, just tell me what your final price is and he told me and voila, I met it and matched it and got the job. The initial process was the breakdown of costs on my business letterhead etc but in the end I decided I wanted the job, I needed to know what I was competing with and ... while it doesn't always work ... in this case it did ... the client told me and we've been working together for a fair while now, both of us happy.

I wish there were an easy solution to the rate dilemma ... personally, I don't think there is.

Nowadays too, there's a lot of competition in what I call the "open market" with so many people doing what we do, however, I think it still comes down to experience and delivery of a top-quality product. You can voice it and send it but if it stinks will you get to do it again?

Rates are my dilemma ... always ... I just tell myself if I produce something the client wants again, the rates (hopefully) will be paid. Smile

Deb
SoundsGreat-Elaine Singer
King's Row

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I find difficult is when you are submitting a demo and quote via email, like for instance, the jobs that Bailey has been kindly posting from San Diego's Craigs List.. When you are speaking to someone, you can go back and forth on the rate issue - ask them what their budget is, etc. But I'm not sure how to do that when submitting an email quote. They want a figure and often don't give you any idea what kind of budget they are looking at.
billelder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pricing is the hardest part. But, I have a question. I've recently begun doing more 15 and 20 minute reads. Isn't there a point where you start giving a price break? I seem to remember either on this board or the other that after 5 or 7 minutes the price is cut for each additional minute? Is there a standard for that?
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill, I use the Interactive Voices rate sheet as a guideline. I can't find the link to it online but will email you a copy.

Mary

billelder wrote:
Pricing is the hardest part. But, I have a question. I've recently begun doing more 15 and 20 minute reads. Isn't there a point where you start giving a price break? I seem to remember either on this board or the other that after 5 or 7 minutes the price is cut for each additional minute? Is there a standard for that?
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Common rates for narration are between $200 to $400 per hour of your time in a studio for the first hour with a one hour minimum, and half that rate for additional hours.

Another way to bill is by the completed minute. Here's a potential example: If you charge $10 per minute (with let's say a $100 minimum) and you record a 20 minute finished piece, it might take you about 60 minutes to record, edit, convert, and deliver that piece. That works out to $200 per hour. Adjust up or down according to your tastes, the difficulty of the material, the difficulty of the client, and the total amount of work you expect to get from the client. You can also just use this as a guide to make a quote.

"That'll be $300 Mr. Narrator Hiring Man! We salute you!"

BTW for calculating minutes, average narration speed is about 160 words per minute, and when they give you a number of "pages", good luck. That can be 2 to 3 minutes a page or more.

Bruce
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Average page read is 11 per hour.
scooter2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:59 pm    Post subject: rate structure Reply with quote

Bill,

I use a "finished minute"rate with a minimum guarantee. i.e. $45. a finished minute with a ten minute minimum guarantee.. For longer forms (30 mins etc) I negotiate.

scott
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: