VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CD demos
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JimmSinger

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:55 pm    Post subject: CD demos Reply with quote

Do many of you promote / market with actual CD demos?
Jeffrey Kafer
Assistant Zookeeper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I send out CDs, but I've had very little work as a result of them. Your mileage may vary,
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People do still ask for them so I always have to have some on hand. But I think I've only gotten one gig from somebody who asked for a CD.
scottnilsen
King's Row

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do send them out, but find that the majority would rather have them emailed to them as .mp3s. I like that better myself, as it's much much more cost effective!

Well, that and mimes.

(714)408-6405 www.scottnilsen.com
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience, I have found that it is bad form to send unsolicited MP3s.

When prospecting, it is best to include a link to your demo online.
JimmSinger

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I've found it's way more cost effective to send an mp3 or link to my site....

just grappling with the cost and hassle of udating the insert tray label but I guess I should have some handy read to go anyway.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you print them yourself?
Tim McLaughlin
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a test in May 2007 and sent out 50 CDs, primarily to people here in Colorado. I had never worked for any of them.

I got one audition in August that I knew came from those CDs. Didn't get the job from that audition, but that same client just came back to me earlier this month with another project and was happy with the finished product, saying he'd be in touch with more in the future.

So I got a positive return on the investment (cost of CDs, padded envelopes, postage, time), but I'm still not convinced that I'll be sending out a whole lot of CDs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Edo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had various experiences with cd's in the past and in the recent past... I've never been convinced this is the way to go, and after I sent a batch of maybe 100 cd's out to ad agencies. 30 to local radiostations and 70 to various ad agencies. Not a single reaction for two months. It annoyed me, so one afternoon when I felt it was time for some attitude... I picked up the phone. I got some voicejobs from the local stations by the way. But none of the big agencies everbothered to even consider me.

I called 10 ad agencies and production companies I NEVER sent my demo to, saying I was asked to call back... but "the poor sound quality of the voices on my voice mail prevented me from clearly understanding the caller's name". I also mentioned the fact I was the voice of "The Bauers", a 25 episode reality soap type of show about a famous Dutch singer (Frans Bauer) that had gotten millions of viewers attention a while back in Holland. Not a single person I spoke to didn't know THAT particular show (admitted... it helped me quite a bit) but... If you haven't guessed it yet... No one from any of the ad agencies had actually called ME in the first place... on average I spent some 5 to 10 minutes 'helping' the person on the other end finding the name of the guy/gal in charge that "supposedly had called me"... merely my way of gettin' through to the decision makers at the AV producer's desk... I succeeded 8 times! I reminded them of that "need sunglasses fluorescent CD they must have listened to" hence their effort to supposedly have me call back.

Every single person I spoke to (lied and) admitted he/she had seen the cd (which I never sent in the first place!) and asked me if I could do an audition or a custom demo. It landed me 4 jobs... three month's worth of income! I felt like a regular con artist that day. I cried all the way to the bank, so to speak. But... the cd's didn't have ANYTHING to do with my successful round of telemarketing that day. I'm not sending cd's anymore unless they specifically ask me to. Even then I don't really feel like it. I'll always offer to do a custom demo... works for me.
TC
Club 300

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few months ago I made calls to about 60 studios and production houses to introduce myself and offer them my demo. I gave them the option of CD or MP3, and more than half asked for a CD. I was a little surprised by that, but I was glad I had the CDs on hand to send.
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've sent 2 CDs out in the last 5 years. One of those resulting in representation with a talent agency; which has in turn led to 2 paying gigs in the last month. The other resulted in a multi-thousand dollar audiobook job. Each CD was requested by the person to whom I sent it before I mailed it off. All other marketing contacts have been via web links or requests for MP3 files to be emailed.
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Don G.
King's Row

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TC wrote:
A few months ago I made calls to about 60 studios and production houses to introduce myself and offer them my demo. I gave them the option of CD or MP3, and more than half asked for a CD. I was a little surprised by that, but I was glad I had the CDs on hand to send.

I think CDs are more likely to find a place on a shelf for future reference (assuming such a shelf exists), whereas an .mp3 file may be requested for a more immediate request. A CD is also a way to make a pseudo "presentation". Of course, as we all know, the content of the demo is what really matters, irrespective of the packaging or presentation.

Bottom line is to offer what the (potential) client requests. Smile
JimmSinger

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had pretty much the same outcome as most of you all with promoting with CD's....kinda sucks but thanks for confirming that I'm not alone.

I agree that the bottom line is to give the perspective client what they want. Looks like I'll be printing up a few tray cards.
tackerman
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had more success emailing links to my demos than I've ever had mailing CDs.
Chrissy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've gotten two jobs from mailing CD's. The second job is an ongoing Web project which records a new epsiode about every two months. I recently sent E-mails to 50 Production companies in the Boston area. I offered to send either a CD or MP3. Two responded wanting MP3's and both said they liked my sound and would make my files available to clients.

I always carry a couple of CD's with me to jobs and auditions. Never know who will be there.

Chrissy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: