VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

To "stream" or not to stream, that is the question
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:51 pm    Post subject: To "stream" or not to stream, that is the question Reply with quote

O.K., I have finally made the decision to do a website. With a little luck and a lot of help from friends on this board... it might look nice.

Now the question, how many of you good folks out there "stream" your audio files (better known as "demos")? Or, how many just do a "click" to download type thing? Or, just how do you do "it"?

Your thoughts and wildest imaginative ideas are welcome...

Frank F
Jeff McNeal

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Frank,

I just do the "click to download" thing. My site is basically geared for broadband users, and since that's pretty much what most people in the position of hiring have, it seems to make sense. My demos seem to load fairly quicky despite some of them being 3 or 4 megs in size. My demos are all mp3 or wmv at present. Whoops wait a minute. A few are Quicktime mov files because that's what the client forwarded to me, and these are much slower to load and play. That's why I request wmv's and use them also for the demos that contain video like TV spots, TV news promos, etc.

There was a time when most of the world was still dial up and it was almost necessary to use streaming for those old 28 and 56k modems trying to download the content, but those days are long gone, thank goodness.

Last edited by Jeff McNeal on Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Charlie Channel
Club 300

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just do the click to download. MP3 and Real Audio selections are provided.

I checked out Gary Joy's website and like his webmaster's approach. He streams video, too. Very cool.

C
audio'connell
T-Shirt

Location: in a dark studio with a single bulb light...day after day after....

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 8:56 am    Post subject: Streaming is for sissies Reply with quote

(I have no idea what that title means...it just came to me. Maybe cause its football Sunday and the Bills Sticking out Tongue are taking on the Dolphins :evil: ..very big game!)

Anyway, I digress. :roll:

Here's another vote for download. Streaming has shown, in my opinion, very interuptable (check spelling and word validity there :shock: ) playback. I keep my audio downloads as MP3 and videos as MPEG and I still get paid, so it can't be all bad.

Good luck on the web site. If you need some professional, low cost options, e-mail me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
allensco
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Click to download for me too. All are mp3 files.
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stream and allow mp3 download.

Personally, I prefer streaming over downloading audio to my desktop because I have broadband. Much like the "telephone number on the website" deal, I'm trying to reduce every road block by offering option overload. One day I'll remove the RealAudio files.

I need to redo my site soon and haven't decided if I'm going to take the time to do it myself again or just shell out the cash and let someone else do it at this point.

Kevin
Bailey
4 Large

Location: Lake San Marcos... north of Connie, northwest of the Best.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The majority seems to be... "click" to download. I agree.
Let me be the one to choose to listen. The chances are going to very high that I will listen, but at least give me the right to choose. Smile
VO-BB Member #00044 W00T.gif" alt="W00T" border="0" />
AOVA Graduate 02/2004 ;
"Be a Voice, not an Echo."Ninja
Jim Barton

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bailey wrote:
The majority seems to be... "click" to download. I agree.
Let me be the one to choose to listen. The chances are going to very high that I will listen, but at least give me the right to choose. Smile

I believe we have a problem with definitions here. Streaming Audio is not the unwanted announce that presents itself when you happen on a website. As I understand it, Streaming Audio is a file you click on that plays back relatively quickly, without having to download first. I have both streaming audio and downloadable audio on my website. (To download, you right-click and save to your preferred folder.) Are my definitions correct?

Jim
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you are correct. I do believe there is a reason why many places do this, Voicebank to be one of them. You just don't have time to download MP3s and click play, better to click the link and listen, then download.

I believe streaming is the best method of quickly auditioning audio at this point. One producer I worked with in Burbank, CA told me to do the demo in Flash so it would load when the mouse is over it..... can you figure out who that was?
billelder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If audio plays when you go to a web site, that's called "embedded audio". It's a code you put in your html.

<BGSOUND SRC="http://yourname.net/audio/audiofile.mp3" LOOP=1>

It goes after <body> .
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you encode the kind of stream that Frank is asking about - where you can click on a link to hear the audio quickly without having to wait for it to download? Not the kind of stream that scares the pants off ya when you visit the website unawares.
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it seems the concenus is "click to download" ("not to stream"), with some favoring "click to play" ("stream").

Since I am definately a newbie when it comes to this sort of thing... I guess I will have to stay in the "click to download" catagory... but I am learning.

I am still trying to figure out how to make some of the other toys on my "soon-to-be" site work in the preview mode... I didn't know it would be this challenging.

Thanks for the input. Your comments are definately interesting.

Bill, I am going to look into the play on site startup thing... I don't know why, but it intrigues me...

Frank F
billelder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the difference between streaming and downloading is mainly decided by the user. For instance, when you click on an MP3 link the first time in Windows, it will ask if you want to download to your hard drive or open with the default MP3 player program. So, selecting "open" would be like streaming.

I think steaming is decided with your host or ISP. It isn't something you can code into the web page. But, with todays high speed ISP's it's just about the same. It may take a few seconds to download, but then plays fine. Like Jeff said, most folks that will be listening or downloading will be on high speed. It has never been an issue on my web site. Most folks that are auditioning know their preference and how to listen.

Oh...I had to edit. Keep this in mind with Embedded sound. If you loop once, it will only play once every time you go to the page. But keep in mind that when you return from another page on your site, it's going to play again.
Charlie Channel
Club 300

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

billelder wrote:

Oh...I had to edit. Keep this in mind with Embedded sound. If you loop once, it will only play once every time you go to the page. But keep in mind that when you return from another page on your site, it's going to play again.

The exception to this fact is: if you use frames, you can select and move around in a website, even returning "home" without the sound (annoyingly) replaying.
PJHawke
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So long as your sampling rate isn't too high, streaming is the way to go if you assume your audience has broadband. Yes, with "click to download", you have to wait for the entire file to load before you can listen to it...BUT...if the connection is slow or webtraffic is high, a stream will load slower than the player plays it. So the playback constantly stops for several seconds to wait for the file to "catch up", and it'll load a bit more, play a bit more, stop, wait, etc. The halting effect is absolutely maddening. RealAudio, WMV, and QuickTime files generally stream by default unless a person sets their browser/viewer to download them instead; there are also sound files associated with a special player that opens when clicked (Susan Berkley's site uses that). Best bet is to offer a choice of each file as a download (mp3) and as a streaming file; then the audience can make the choice To Stream or Not To Stream.

For what it's worth, this is just the opinion of someone who listens/watches a LOT of different sound and vid files on different connections and formats. Choice, gooooood.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: