VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How Do They Sound?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charlie Channel
Club 300

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:07 am    Post subject: How Do They Sound? Reply with quote

As a relatively newbie in this biz, I've not been into media or media personalities. Thus, I have little idea of how named artists sound.

A potential client might say, "Sound like Yogi Bear," I got the picture. If client says, "Sound like the guy who was the narrator for Rocky and his Friends," I got the picture. Who was that guy, anyway? I'm sort of into Laurel and Hardy, Donald Duck and Darth Vader.

I might recognize Tom Cruise, but don't count on it. I even walked right past Harrison Ford and didn't even know who he was (my wife did and got pictures with the kids and all several years ago) -- and I'd even seen him in the movies!!!.

I, apparently, fell off the meda wagon sometime ago and there's no way I'll catch up. And, yes, I think about Harlan about as much as he thinks about me.

So when a potential client or lead will say they're looking for somebody who sounds like ... [you name him]. I have no friggin' idea who they're talking about and, obviously, no idea of what they're seeking.

Thankfully, some producers will post a sample. But, most do not. So, here's my question: Anybody know of a site where examples of named fabulous and famous talent can be auditioned?

C
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know of anywhere but I would suggest that in the context of a potential job, if the voice doesn't know and the client doesn't know, there is no job potential or at the very least a complete mismatch.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy Howdy Charlie-- you and me.

I'm always at a loss if someone makes a suggestion pertaining to a television actor-- even if they're hugely famous.

"Think of Debra Messing on Will and Grace", they'll say.

or anyone from Friends.

I'm sometimes embarrassed at my lack of Pop Culture saavy, but what the hell. I just don't look at much TV.
Except for House, MD. Oh, and Boston Legal.
Um, and my Monday nights will be boned when 24 shows up in January.

But other than that.....

heh.

I dislike this kind of direction because it assumes everyone is operating from one frame of reference-- the director's.
billelder

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deirdre, I don't know about pop culture either. But, you do have great taste in tv shows. I have been told that if my voice were a smell, then I would be a skunk behind a bus.
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to hear many of the top talents go to www.voicebank.net and click on "house reels". Put the name in the search box and if they are with any of those major agencies, you should be able to hear a demo or two. They have well known actors as well as pure VO talents.

Bruce
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am like most of you... "don't know, don't care"; I always say to the client who directs me in that particular style "I am not sure of how you want (place name here) to sound on your spot, would you give me an example of how you think they would sound"?

Then I do what I do, with a little attempt at their "hero/heroine". Of couse the next thing to say if the client is not quite satisfied... is "why don't you hire (place name here) to the job, I am not (that person)".

Getting older has it's perks, that's one of them. If they want "me", then they hire me... sometimes they hire someone else who can sound sort of like "me", but they get what they pay for - not "me".

Each of us have their own sound - and so we should. Our style and presentation is what they are looking for - not Tom Cruise, or Jean Luc Picard, or.... Do what YOU do and set your own style... YOU will appreciate YOU more, doing so.

Frank F
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get the objections to people asking for you to read in someone's style, but usually that's really all they're asking for, a style. It's shorthand for them, and if you both know the reference it can save some time. If someone says Tom Bodet (Motel 6) you get the idea of a flat-voiced, relaxed, country neighbor kind of read. I'd never imitate a famous voice talent, but I'm certainly glad for a shorter route to understanding the director's desires.

Back when the style was popular I used to get "do it like the VISA guy" ("and they don't take American Express") a lot. I did my version of an arched, know-it-all read and they were happy.

Bruce
anthonyVO
14th Avenue

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce hit it right on the head - it's more about the attitude or approach of the actor they refer to. it's not an imitation of the voice.
So digging for more info is always good.
And yes, voicebank.net is a great reference to national talent... but again, be careful not to imitate, but try to understand their approach to the read.

Specs can sometimes be quite ridiculous. I've realized that the longer the spec, the less the client really knows what they want. You have to make a strong decision in character or feel, and run with it. Usually if they like you (or your voice) and you're off, they will redirect.

-Anthony
billelder

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely. When I think of this I remember the announcer (Ernie somebody....Tim Conway's friend) on ABC who did the famous, "Coming up yaaaniiight on the Luuuuuv Boat". Or how about the Oxy Five guy?
Doc

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deidre,

I must tell you that I admire your taste in TV! I, too, NEVER miss an episode of House, nor Boston Legal. In fact, if I'm busy, my VCR is programmed and ready to fly! :wink:

I haven't yet gotten into 24, but understand it's a must-see also. However, I have a friend (programs a station in Vegas) who is the spitting image of Keifer. Does that count?

Now, if I could only figure out what those flashing zeros meant???
danlenard

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:35 pm    Post subject: How do they sound Reply with quote

Charlie,

The voice on Rocky and Bullwinkle was William Conrad of Nero Wolf and Jake and the Fatman fame.

Cultural literacy is vital to be successful in this biz. Its a matter of paying attention to those details and making mental notes.

Sadly, as I was a social studies teacher in another incarnation, I was disgusted with the lack of cultural literacy I witnessed. Being a young 48, I witnessed so much history and culture and took it all in. I got to see JFK speak at my city hall in the Summer of 63. I saw the Beatles play live at Maple Leaf Gardens in Toronto. I saw man walk on the moon. I saw two towers that I stood on top of several times disintegrate before my eyes.

If your job is to know, pay attention. Read the credits, listen to the news. You'll look pretty stupid in front of the creative director who asks you to do it like "Pete Smith."

Regards,

Dan Lenard
Bill

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

billelder wrote:
Absolutely. When I think of this I remember the announcer (Ernie somebody....Tim Conway's friend) on ABC who did the famous, "Coming up yaaaniiight on the Luuuuuv Boat". Or how about the Oxy Five guy?

Ernie Anderson(?).. remember "Lady Bluuuuueeeee" or Mc Guyverrrr.. he was everywhere, the competing local TV news station (ABC) back in my newsboy days had him do their local promos.
audio'connell
T-Shirt

Location: in a dark studio with a single bulb light...day after day after....

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: How do they sound Reply with quote

danlenard wrote:
Cultural literacy is vital to be successful in this biz. Its a matter of paying attention to those details and making mental notes.

If your job is to know, pay attention. Read the credits, listen to the news. You'll look pretty stupid in

Dan's comments made me laugh because I'm in a voice class with folks about 15-20 years younger than me and their general cultural ignorance of things "not of their era" is humorous and sad...they don't understand the value of at least knowing certain movie titles or actors from the 50's, bands of the 40's, lesser historical facts of the 60's....I don't know if its the educational system or the parents but these folks WOULD look pretty stupid in front of a creative director making certain directions and THAT's so in large part because many of them have enormous talent.

Oh well....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Charlie Channel
Club 300

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: How do they sound Reply with quote

danlenard wrote:
You'll look pretty stupid in front of the creative director who asks you to do it like "Pete Smith."

Well, I'm already there! In fact, I may be stuck on stupid and too dumb to know it. The problem is that I wasn't swimming in the cultural current and an awful lot of the water's way down stream by this time.

It's sort of like cars. When I was younger, I could name every make and model and year of every car on the road. But, then, something happened. I'm happy they've got emblems, now. And, don't even ask about the year. My kids (all of whom are grown) are amazed that I really know what a '50 Ford looks like. Or, that I know the difference between a 67 and 69 VW.

So, not wanting to be caught looking stupid, I looked up Pete Smith. I'm assuming I finally found him, deceased, under the name Peter I. Smith: Director, writer, actor and producer. Voice of ... Goofy! Chimpmunks!!! Smith I don't know. Goofy, I'm on it. I thought Ross Bagnasarian (sp?) did the chipmunks. Ah! Different chipmunks. Anyway, I'll confess I didn't know Pete's real name, assuming I actually found the Peter Smith you mentioned.

So, I got a call from my agency around noon yesterday for an audition today, at 2:20 p.m. The producer said let me hear two ring side announcers, a ring announcer and Berges Merrideth. -- man, was I glad I saw Rocky.

Then she said, 'give me a Mike Tyson imitation.' Now I know how Tyson speaks. She asked me to respond to somebody telling him where to park his car. Hey! I'm nowhere close to being a tenor. But, I went for it. I squeeked, 'I'll park my car wherever I want to park the motherf*****! and kick yo' ass, too!" OK. I didn't exzactly say that, but that's pretty close and that was the beat.

Culture is wonderful!

:lol:

Since I've been in this game, I enjoy taking an afternoon to catch a flick to listen to trailers and check out acting and directing and sound track and foley. It's something I have to do now. I can't think of a better excuse to see movies and read the credits. I probably need to do it a couple of times a week, minimum.

C
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
imaginator
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:22 am    Post subject: from the Home for the Tragically Un-Hip Reply with quote

i've survived most of the "can you make it sound like...?" inquiries when the reference is to some current tv show i don't watch (or don't want to watch) by just being honest.

usually, if i say "i'm not familiar with that one" up front...assuming i haven't had time to catch a show and have a listen...the client will give me some kind of description that'll at least give me something to start with. sometimes it works.

it's important not to shortchange your own possibilities. there are plenty of other people out there to do that for you.

i wish i took my own advice more often. i lost out on a job recently auditioning for a "NW Georgia accent". now i can do some character accents but i don't pretend to be a linguist. so i declined the audition, figuring i wouldn't be right for it.

well, the casting folk didn't find their voice the first time around and put out a second call. feeling no more confident than the first time, i didn't respond immediately, but did send in a sort of folksy southern-style read with a modest disclaimer.

got a message back later that the part had been cast, but that the client heard my read and actually liked me better than the one they'd already used. ouch.

and before i close this short novel, here's the WEIRDEST "we want you to do it like..." story i have so far.

got asked to submit an audition for a narration that wanted me to sound like actor robert duvall. his voice demo was even included for reference. how intimidating! i had nowhere near his range or styling, but the casting person asked me to give it a go anyway. i gave them a low-key, almost world-weary voice of authority...not even trying to imitate duvall. sent it off, and forgot it.

guess what. i not only was cast, but they used me as the same narrator in two subsequent projects (disney i.d.e.a.s animatics for the u.s. navy).

still mystifies me.
Rowell Gormon's Clogged Blog - http://voices2go.com/blog
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: