VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Car Ads

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:28 pm    Post subject: Car Ads Reply with quote

Thought I would pass this along for anyone doing work in AZ to advise their clients. Verizon's legal group had me redo disclaimers for the same reason. The original link can be found here.

Arizona Cracking Down on Car Ads

January 6, 2005

Like the rest of us, Arizona Attorney General Terry Goddard has heard those annoying radio commercials with a 200-miles-per-hour announcer rattling off details of a supposed great deal on a new car or truck. Unlike the rest of us, Goddard's in a position to do something about it.

Goddard, who recently prosecuted a Tucson car dealer for false advertising, says too many commercials and newspaper ads provide too little information to would-be car and truck buyers. The result, he said, is that consumers ending up not getting the deal which they believe they were promised.

"All dealerships should be on notice that we're going to be watching advertisements," Goddard said. "We're very concerned about any misrepresentation or what we call bait and switch -- that you bring somebody into your dealership with a false expectation that they're going to get a super deal. And that deal doesn't exist."

Too many highly-hyped deals are available only on a few specific vehicles or to consumers with a specific credit score, or under any number of other very specific conditions.

Worse yet, Goddard thinks, is the universal "see dealer for details" disclaimer. That amounts to consumer fraud when those details -- available only by taking the time to go to the dealership -- materially change the offer. He said those dealers who continue to engage in what he believes are deceptive practices will find themselves in court facing charges of consumer fraud.

During a press conference where he outlined consumer protection priorities for 2005, Goddard said he's also unhappy with TV commercials that flash the terms and conditions of an offer on the screen so quickly that they are virtually unreadable. He is also annoyed by extremely fine print in newspaper ads.

Dealers who use any of these techniques would be well advised to change their ways, Goddard warned.
billelder

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm normally mistaken about these things...so please be kind. I thought the broadcast industry did something about this years ago, but it seems to have reverted back. Maybe it was just statewide here. I also remember when it was illegal to play a sirene sfx on the radio in a commercial. I've done many car commercials but not once have I been asked to do a fast unintelligible disclaimer. (OK...the obvious one-liner here is , "Bill, when you do them they're ALL unintelligible." Ba Da Boom) Good for Arizona.
Don G.
King's Row

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill, if you're mistaken, then so am I.

I thought it was decided years ago that there would be some rule instituted that would address that very issue. I seem to recall something about the speed of speech within a radio or TV commercial couldn't vary by some specific percentage. Also, for print advertising, the type size couldn't vary by a certain percentage, as well.

I don't know if they changed the rule back or if never was instituted. Either way, it drives me batty when I hear (or see) that stuff.
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:46 pm    Post subject: Fast and super fast and... Reply with quote

Well here in our area (Utah), someone forgot to tell the dominant radio group about that idea - they recently have been doing the disclaimers - creating a tme shift and bad chopping to take out breaths and pauses and what listeners hear is a 15 second disclaimer in 3 seconds.

Thank you CC - it;s always been a pleasure to listen to unintelligble radio.

Quote:

(OK...the obvious one-liner here is , "Bill (Frank), when you do them they're ALL unintelligible." Ba Da Boom) Good for Arizona

I guess many of us were wrong... Go AZ!

Frank F
den

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:41 pm    Post subject: morality in advertising Reply with quote

What a great thread.

Firstly, as a producer (radio & independent studios) I would never 'force' a voice to do a political spot and always respected their decision. Nor would I necessarily 'force' them to do any kind of endorsement. (E.G. "We at Nissan Motors..." I would either get the copy changed or insist the voice strike a deak with ther party / client to "endorse" their service.

Here in Canada it's the CRTC, which is the FCC twin.

BOTH have been losing "power" over the years, and I don't know why?

Blatant advertising rip-offs are getting more the norm, and the CRTC or FCC is being swallowed by the Clearchannel Corporation mindset, and are becoming such a pansy-assed "governing body", that it really seems they are not worth their existence, or clinging onto what was once a feared department.

How sad.

Like many problems in society these days, it seems to be up to the individual (voice person) to take the stand and say "No". - knowing full well that if you don't take the gig, someone else will.

But if we all did,....who knows?

-den.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: