VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

sweetening auditions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:34 am    Post subject: sweetening auditions Reply with quote

I have done my due diligence and searched the archives.

So I know we all agree that sound files sent to a client are for the most part clean and unprocessed (unless otherwise instructed)

What about for auditions? Do you add any compression, EQ etc. to auditions in order to stand out a little more?

I usually do a little light compression but am wondering if a little EQ might be appropriate as well.

If so do you compress/EQ during the recording, or after?

Again, thank you.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried both ways, sweet and low (moment of humour there). Results suggest that post production makes no difference.

I had a dynamic mic sat on my desk for a while and used it to record an audition for what turned out to be a TV commercial, got the job. The audition is about you and nothing else unless stated in the audition request. If you are concerned about how the quality of your audio is perceived you may like to add an intro.

"Audio supplied is for Voice audition purposes only no post production processing has taken place".
Gp

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the right answer as most always Philip.
Yoda117
M&M

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually send both since it doesn't take long for me to do it.

I do this primarily because I know that some casting agencies and agents take my stuff and process it. Having heard the processing, I quickly realized that the person they often used had no clue what they were doing and would go a little overboard.

Therefore I send both. That way they can hear me as I am, and then hear me with a little bit of processing the way I think they want it. Feedback from prospective clients (some of whom are regular clients now) and the casting agencies have been positive for "making the extra effort and making their job easier".

Philip is correct in his statement, but if you know what the process is on how your audition ultimately lands in the hands of the client, you can better determine your response.

Blog - A man, a martini, and a lot of microphones
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Bill Campbell
DC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweeten or not? I think it depends on the job. Hard sell auto spot - process it. Narration with lots of expression - don't process.

People with great mic technique will sound good "naked". Others might need a little "touch up".

Punch lines coming....now
Edo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were to ask myself that question, I'd probably answer:

... Carlos Santana will sound like Carlos Santana even when his guitar is hooked up to an ancient Sony Walkman or a Walkie Talkie. The performance is what makes him worth remembering...
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man ... you had a good point but you just picked the wrong man ... Carlos Santana has one hell of a pedal board, as do most electric guitarists. You should see his studio, not to mention the archive room housing everything he's played that has been recorded.

Put the money in the read, send it off and move on to the next audition.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: