VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Acer laptops? Are they good for recording? What laptops do

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nycrockprincess

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:12 pm    Post subject: Acer laptops? Are they good for recording? What laptops do Reply with quote

Hi,
I was recommended to buy an Acer Laptop for recording. I have a Blue Snowball Mic. I just want to make sure that there are no reverberations coming thru on the recording.

Does anyone have any experience or advice regarding Acer laptops? Could you recommend another other than acer?

Thank you,
Kerry Laugh
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kerry,

Any "reverberations" are most likely going to be caused by the room where you're recording and not by the laptop. Any relatively recent laptop will have plenty of processing power to do the recording. You will want something that's quiet to avoid fan noise while you're recording.
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Edo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And Kerry, whichever laptop you choose... internal RAM is your friend (can't have enough memory) and preferrably also a second harddrive or an external Firewire drive. Depending on the software you use (or going to use) check the manufacturer's website for minimum requirements and chipsets. And a question comes to mind... who recommended the Acer (model number please) laptop to you? Is that a fellow voiceover or just some happy Acer user?

If you're going the pc route, make sure that Windows Vista doesn't cause you too much hassle, some software manufacturers still have issues getting their software running smoothly on that particular platform. The reason I mention this is because most laptops come with Vista pre installed. Some tools just run considerably smoother on XP Professional still.

You could also go the Mac(book Pro) route, do a search in here for recording software on the Mac, plenty of subjects about just that, and recent ones as well.

Good luck!
louzucaro
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind there are various speeds of memory and hard drives. Faster memory and hard drives are better for any kind of media application. although they use more power and are therefore tougher on battery life.

In all honesty you shouldn't have any trouble with Vista. I use it on two machines for recording purposes, one a desktop and one a laptop. and neither has ever given me trouble in terms of its capabilities.

And don't forget that next Tuesday, April 14th, is the official "end of support" date for Windows XP. What this means is that although critical security patches will still be available, otherwise, free support for XP will end on that date. Only paid support will be an option moving forward.

In all liklihood, Windows 7 will be out before the end of the year, or early next year, and anybody purchasing a PC with Vista after July 1 will receive a free upgrade to Win 7 when it ships.

"Well, yeah, there's my favorite leaf!"
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first computer in 1995 was(if memory serves me correctly) an Acer, used.
(are they made in Texas?)

My experience was not good, but it was a long time ago.
georgethetech
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acer makes a wide range of computers.
If you are referring to the Aspire One netbook for $300, yes, even that little thing will record you just fine. Radioshack sells it for $100 if you sign up for a two year contract for 3G wireless built into the Aspire, which means you are COMPLETELY mobile!
424-226-8528
VOBS.TV Co-host
TheProAudioSuite.com Co-host
TriBooth.com Co-founder
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
louzucaro
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rellis, Acer's products are MUCH better now than they were in the '90s. I'm not a customer, but I can vouch on some level for their non-horribleness.

They're a Taiwanese company and I don't think they ever made stuff in Texas, although I could be wrong about that.

They purchased TI's laptop division in the late '90s (maybe that's what you were thinking of?), and more recently they purchased both Gateway (and eMachines) and Packard-Bell.

They sell more laptops than any other company in the world.

"Well, yeah, there's my favorite leaf!"
donkin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

soundgun wrote:
Acer makes a wide range of computers.
If you are referring to the Aspire One netbook for $300, yes, even that little thing will record you just fine.

George, thanks for the tip. I figured I'd need a dual core. Great to know.

- Don
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: