VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I'm in the new movie "Amelia"...
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is a very, very cool story.

Quote:
I restore old aircraft, I restore and drive old autos, I renovate old houses and restore antique furniture

i'm pretty sure i'm in love.

LaurenLee
Contributor II

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm Todd: "Please include photo of airplane..."

There are now at least 3 trailer versions -- I saw a third one tonight in the roll-up to Leno..., there's the original on the Fox website, and the second one TIVO'd by daughter last week.

I'll see if I can get the freeze-frame off her when I see her next...

If I'm not very chatty tomorrow night y'all will know we looked like dorks!
LaurenLee
Contributor II

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found it! On the website they have some new videos up, one entitled "Behind Amelia: a clip from the film". I'm on from 1:18 to 1:24 in 2 shots -- coming down from the podium amidst the reporters, and then sitting behind Hilary's right shoulder where she says "we have formed an organization to promote women in aviation."

Here's a direct link to the clip, provided by the Fox Searchlight site:

http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid16829217001?bctid=45761372001
Moe Egan
4 Large

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How totally flippin COOL!
Thanks so much for sharing your adventure with us...loved the peak behind the scenes. That must have been amazing to share acting space with such a pro.

Kudos Lauren Lee!!
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My husband says he does not want to see the film because he will cry at the end.

I still prefer to think she'll turn up some day Embarrassed
LaurenLee
Contributor II

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... I saw the movie yesterday evening. Walked in positively bouncing with excitement -- and walked out in a perplexed and disappointed daze.

The good news: we didn't look like dorks. But hubby's line wasn't there, nor was he, unless he was a pindot in the background that I missed. That was disappointing, but being realists, we both knew it was a crapshoot. I've got some good face time, and that was VERY exciting to see -- but if you watch the clip I for which I provided the link earlier, you'll see most of it.

But why am I so disappointed in the movie as a whole? I've been trying to figure it out since leaving the theatre, and think it boils down to three main points:

Though the cinematography is breathtaking at times, I saw so many instances of slopping editing -- shots of faces, vehicles, and location setups abutting reverse shots that didn't match -- that I was repeatedly sucked out of the story in a series of "huh?" moments....

The film as a whole seemed a series of disjointed and unrelated episodes in which the pace ebbed and flowed seemingly without reason. Scenes felt dragged out in places and irrelevant in others. And no, I'm not griping about the "telling the story via flashback" method. It could have worked really well here.

But most importantly for me is that the filmmakers seem to have missed the point: flying not as a means to an end, but as an end in itself. That's my understanding of why AE flew (and I've devoured everything I could find on her for years), and it is why I fly, and it is one of the main reasons why my friends who are passionate aviators fly -- not to "go somewhere", but just to go "up" -- flight as a respite from earthbound cares and restraints. Yet throughout the film I saw AE's prime motivation for flying portrayed as a desire to go to "strange, faraway places", much as the airline passenger views flight as a way to "go somewhere".

Perhaps I'm too close to the material. I just found it very unsatisfying. Doesn't mean you will, and I'd be really interested in hearing from anyone else who has seen the movie and wants to share their impressions.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand the idea about flying being an end in itself. One of the reasons I started flying was for the distraction. I didn't need to be anywhere and I certainly did not need to know how to fly an aeroplane.

One of the upsides for others was that I could ask Dan or Ewan (flying instructors) for extra lessons on, inverted flight whilst eating a Cadbury's Creme Egg operating in IFR conditions. Did I care? No. But the extra hour on their log books was good as was the instructor fee very useful in their pockets.

Meanwhile, back to the film. When you notice the poor shots and edits then the story telling has failed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: