VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Homeless radio/voiceover guy *REOPENED*
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CC Heim
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if it's Ted or New Years goals and ambition at work, but many of the auditions I've been seeing at voices.com have 100+ people answering them.

So, maybe lots of new people trying to jump into the VO waters? Don't worry... I'm sure that it'll soon turn out to be like the health club in mid-February: back to the same devoted people have made it their lifestyle.
Jeffrey Kafer
Assistant Zookeeper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they were also offering the lower membership price recently. So this may be a bunch of noobs jumping in. Your gym analogy is good.
Scott Pollak
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One reason I didn't renew my voices.com membership a couple of years ago is because even back then it seemed that every single lead got 100+ auditions submitted to it.

www.voicebyscott.com
melissa eX
MMD

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Perhaps what's in my heart is that I know individuals who have woirked hard and tried to do the right thing.

Quote:

It's about as scripted as you can get. Please, let me pick out 10 people talented actors at random who are living on the razor thin edge of existence, who aren't stealing and pimping, but instead working minimum wage jobs to stay off
the streets, and let's get them some v.o. work.

Hmm... kind of brings to mind the beginning of the financial crisis - the sub-prime mortgage meltdown - which took out mortgage backed securities - which took out the banks which created the situations leading to the mass layoffs of workers. The banks got bailed out. The homeowners who got mortgages they never should have qualified for or who never read their documents and whose defaults started the downward spiral got a modification program created just for them. But those who did everything right and suddenly found themselves unable to pay the mortgage they had qualified for through traditional underwriting (typically a traditional fixed rate loan) because they - through no fault of their own - lost their jobs in the chain reaction , were hung out to dry - collateral damage - with no program to help them out.

Like I said in another post - I love a Cinderella story - and like Nelson I certainly wish Ted well and I hope he can turn his life around - but it does make one wonder if doing all the right things has become the wrong thing to do. If only because it's dull in the eyes of the media and these days it seems the media makes the world.
Diane Havens
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even since the parable of the Prodigal Son was told, people have been griping about the unfairness of rewarding the "undeserving." Though, if you remember that story, the good, constant son was well taken care of. He just didn't want his brother who wasted his father's money and lived an unsavory life to be able to come back and have equality with him, no matter how sorry he was. Here is the difference. There are many prodigals out there waiting to be forgiven, saved, helped. Add to that those who have done everything right and are still suffering. And I don't know when the media was suddenly made God to choose who is rewarded and who is not. But really, it is not only the media -- it is all of us who are intrigued about the story and take interest enough in it to be talking about it still, weeks later. If there were only good in the story, it would not be interesting as every student of fiction knows. Let's hope this story inspires each of us to try and make a difference in someone's life, to lift someone up. That is much more important than whose voice is heard on a Kraft cheese commercial.

Veni, Vidi, Voci
http://www.dianehavens.com
Rognog
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people succeed and some people fail. Some get lucky and some don't. Some do everything right with nothing to show for it while others do nothing and good fortune falls right in their lap. Our overriding need to make sense of this and provide some level of order & comfort to our lives shouldn't discourage us, it should inspire us, but don't let it undermine all the hard work you have done up to this point.

Ted Williams is an aberration, a PR orgy, and probably won't happen again anytime soon. It should have no effect on your dream.

Now get back to work!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
SilverSurfer3001
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My way of looking at things is to use the media as a barometer ... and do everything 180 degrees differently from how the teeveepeeple tell me it should be done.

It is hard work.

Anything worth doing is hard work, otherwise everyone would be doing it.

It seems to me that already Mr Williams finds himself up to the tip of his nose in life and it seems to be overtaking him quickly. Whose fault is that? Partly his; Mostly the Hollywood image machine that so willingly takes victims and grinds them repeatedly through the sausage grinder until only the strongest of souls remain. I hope Mr Williams has what it takes to do that. I fear that he doesn't.

It appears that the VO heavy-hitters seem to be contributing to the experiment by paying his SAG dues, and getting him representation at Atlas. I wonder about the motivation. Sorry - I just can't help to look gift-horses pretty sternly in the mouths, because anything worth doing is hard work.

Excuse me - I have to go put on my flame-proof suit now.
Darren Altman
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ted Williams has left the building - By Beau Weaver

http://www.facebook.com/notes/beau-weaver/ted-williams-has-left-the-building/10150127581077247
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
SilverSurfer3001
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just getting ready to post that!

That being said, it appears that the gift horse's mouth seems to free of any self-absorbing disease. Good on ya, guys!

Godspeed, Ted.

And to Entertainment Tonight, CBS News, The Today Show, et al: Give it a break! 'Kay?
Bailey
4 Large

Location: Lake San Marcos... north of Connie, northwest of the Best.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diane Havens wrote:
Let's hope this story inspires each of us to try and make a difference in someone's life, to lift someone up.

Diane... I liked your entire post, especially the above.
VO-BB Member #00044 W00T.gif" alt="W00T" border="0" />
AOVA Graduate 02/2004 ;
"Be a Voice, not an Echo."Ninja
voice of vicki

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having enjoyed your many well-expressed insights, I apologize in advance for what I add here:

I predict the Made-for-TV- Movie, The Ted Williams Story, playing now in my head...
the bumbling handlers, the morally bankrupt media suits, the ravenous agent, the plea for sobriety from TV and radio Doctor Rehabs, the well-meaning and compassionate voiceover artists in the LA lab, the disgruntled and divided international voiceover community, the beleaguered Williams family, the homely advocate for the homeless.
It is casting itself.
jsgilbert
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe now Ted will have time to learn how to prononunce "Rock -o-fella"

Of course being the eternal realist, it seems that somebody had to take the spotlight off of Ted, before they realized that his story makes him out to be more like Fagan rather than Oliver.

Now we could shift gears. I say let's have a new reality show where we can take the 75 or so people that are behind making reality Voice over shows and put them in one giant wrestling cage match. Who ever emerges gets to put their variation of the voice over profession up there for the masses to ignore.

js@jsgilbert.com
www.jsgilbert.com

"today is the first day of the rest of the week"
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At last, Ted is finally receiving something of value from his brush with fame and fortune. I suspect that rehab and its associated professional help are things he's needed for a long time. Forget the macaroni commercials and free union cards, this is the gift that stands to benefit him the most. Now, maybe he really can turn his life around.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
cyclometh
King's Row

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the first time I've seen that he's getting something of lasting value out of this. With the right foundation he can leverage the attention on him properly, but he's got to get in the right place mentally first.
Diane Maggipinto
Spreading Snark Worldwide

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vicki is #1.

and now, for the un-tour ...
sitting at #8, though not as present as I'd like to be. Hello!

www.d3voiceworks.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 14 of 15

Jump to: