VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

recording with a USB mixer

View previous topic :: View next topic  
D Voice
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:00 pm    Post subject: recording with a USB mixer Reply with quote

For non-critical recordings (podcast, etc) right from my personal desk, I am using a Behringer X1204 USB mixer. That requires the Main faders to be up to record using the USB.

Would like to be able to use my headphones to record, and play back on my M-Audio CX5 monitors.

But if the powered monitors are on and they are connected to Main Output or Control Room, they will feed back.

Does that mean that i am doomed to having to switch the monitors off whenever I want to record anything, and turning them on to play back?

Did RTFM, etc. but no help. There must be a way, but I just can't see it.

Last edited by D Voice on Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
Dan4VO
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:35 am    Post subject: Mute Reply with quote

Instead of switching off the monitors, just mute the mic channel during playback. Problem solved.

Dan Friedman
D Voice
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually...not.

The problem is with feedback when recording, not playing back.

Control Room outputs appear to be on the same channels as the headphones.
Connecting to Main outputs means the main mix faders control the monitors; these apparently have to be up to send any signal via USB.
georgethetech
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Dad builds a device to deal with that exact issue, I call it the MMS1000.
It's a device that mutes the mic when the monitors are on, and vice versa.
Because it's hand built one at a time, it isn't cheap at $200, but it will solve your problem elegantly. It also can trigger and power an "on the air" light, which is a cool bonus! The real beauty is it's simplicity, just ONE SWITCH.
424-226-8528
VOBS.TV Co-host
TheProAudioSuite.com Co-host
TriBooth.com Co-founder
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Dan4VO
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:39 am    Post subject: Misunderstood Reply with quote

D Voice wrote:
actually...not.

The problem is with feedback when recording, not playing back.

Control Room outputs appear to be on the same channels as the headphones.
Connecting to Main outputs means the main mix faders control the monitors; these apparently have to be up to send any signal via USB.

Sorry! I guess I misunderstood what you were saying. It sounds like George's Dad builds your best solution, or you can get a different "name" monitor control center (Presonus Central Station or Mackie Big Knob for example). You will still have to bring your monitors down but a device like that will make it easier.

What mixing desk are you using?

Dan Friedman
D Voice
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:41 pm    Post subject: workaround Reply with quote

NP Dan.
No audio desk- I meant an ordinary office desk that I work from the top of. Sorry if that wording caused any confusion.

Can't figure out how I can leave the monitors switched on but turned down while I record and monitor with the headphones, other than reaching around the back and turning the knobs each time or turning them off and on. Seems there ought to be an easier way.

danno812 wrote:
It sounds like George's Dad builds your best solution, or you can get a different "name" monitor control center (Presonus Central Station or Mackie Big Knob for example). You will still have to bring your monitors down but a device like that will make it easier.

What mixing desk are you using?

Yes, they seem like they would be an improvement. But I probably wouldn't be able to bring myself to spend another $200-$300 on a volume knob to use with a $200 mixer.

I don't have much experince recording with mixers, but it seem like there ought to be some way to do this, or some work-around, but apparently not. (The mixer also has ALT 3-4 faders, but that didn't seem to help). I am stumped. I wonder if this is a problem unique to this X1204 USB mixer (Behringer), or all mixers, or what?
dwpthe3rd
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if this helps, but this reminds me of something I did a number of years ago, and ready to do again, as I once again find need for such a device..... I used what I believe was (is) a DHobo LaughingT switch (fancy acronym for "Double Pole Double Throw" switch that costs all of $5 or so at your favorite electronics supply store, and in conjunction with a $5 aluminum box to hold it, it's a rather inexpensive and elegant solution for muting/unmuting speakers with a quick flick of the switch. This will not work if you're intimidated by a soldering iron however, but it's hard to beat the price.

dwpthe3rd
Dan4VO
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:20 am    Post subject: Try this... Reply with quote

It may require you to get additional cables, but it looks like you could plug your monitors into the "main out" section on the back of your Behringer and simply use the 2-track/USB and Main Mix source switches to turn them off/on while recording. Based on what you've described; I'm guessing you currently have your monitors plugged into the "control room out" at the back of your board?

Dan Friedman
D Voice
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:50 am    Post subject: Re: Try this... Reply with quote

danno812 wrote:
I'm guessing you currently have your monitors plugged into the "control room out" at the back of your board?

That is correct.

UPDATE:
Quote:
looks like you could plug your monitors into the "main out" section on the back of your Behringer and simply use the 2-track/USB and Main Mix source switches to turn them off/on while recording.

Unfortunately, that switch does not affect the Main Out (I think it just affects the headphones/Control Room).

It seems that if there is a signal coming through and the Main Mix faders are up, there is no way to cut or attenuate the signal coming out of the Main Outs.

Will next see if I can locate the DHobo LaughingT switches mentioned locally, but might have to wait until my next trip to the States for that/those.

Last edited by D Voice on Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
D Voice
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:58 pm    Post subject: Update- problem solved (?) Reply with quote

FWIW, what I have have done for now is to attach the Monitors to the Alt 3-4 Outputs on the back, using the ALT 3-4 mix faders. The Main Mix and Control Room outs go unused.

The (ANALOG) audio output of the computer goes [indirectly] into lines 7/8 on the mixer, and then engaging the MUTE/ALT 3-4 button on 7/8 and bringing the fade up.

No feedback, and I can play back.

So I guess the only downside is I don't have USB playback on the monitors; I can still hear that on headphones.

My playback signal is analog using the monitors [actually from computer(s) to audio selecter > headphone amp > mixer line in > mixer (Alt) Out so with all that analog there is probably some degree of degradation, but that is another story).

Also not sure if this configuration will work with a Skype phone patch session or not, or if I will need that ALT bus for something else later..

But I am happy for the moment.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: