VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Freebies

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dlrosenberg

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:11 pm    Post subject: Freebies Reply with quote

I'm getting back into the business after a hiatus of many years and recently took a one evening VO "course" at a local adult school. The "course" attracted a wide demographic/experiental sample - from a real pro who does a lot of work for Fox, ABC, etc., to folks like me who have spent a lot of time on the air, plus a heaping serving of the barely articulate.

OK, so about the freebies...the instructor set everyone's expectations that success would not be easy and that we might want to consider attracting our first jobs by doing an initial freebie for the client, the idea being that the client would reward our submission with paid future work.

Having been in sales for many years, I have learned that doing something for free the first time only gets you the opportunity to do something for free the next time. It's simply too easy to train your clients the wrong way from the start. Once under this rock, you may never be able to crawl out. Submission begets slavery.

Am I wrong? This seems very unprofessional and a sign of desperation. What is your approach to this method? Recommended? Avoid like the plague?

Thanks
tackerman
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you work for free it's going to be very difficult to make any money...

This is along the same lines as the client that asks for the first job at half your going rate saying they'll pay your full rate in the future.

Don't hold your breath.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommend doing free stuff to people just starting out.
It's a way to do a real project, develop a character, etc. But I only recommend it if everyone else inolved is doing it for free as well, like college kids' projects or full-tilt PSAs.
TC
Club 300

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took a similar course not so long ago, and the instructor gave somewhat similar advice. But he didn't tell us to do free work for paying clients. Instead, he told us to do free work for people who need free voice work done. Like reading services for the blind, or librivox.org, where people record literature that is in the public domain -- free audiobooks, basically. These are low-pressure, low-risk opportunites that, nonetheless, require some level of capability and quality from the talent. T-Ball for voice talkers, I suppose.

I agree that doing a job free for a client who would otherwise pay for that work does nothing but set a bad precedent.
Bailey
4 Large

Location: Lake San Marcos... north of Connie, northwest of the Best.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Freebies Reply with quote

dlrosenberg wrote:
... and that we might want to consider attracting our first jobs by doing an initial freebie for the client, the idea being that the client would reward our submission with paid future work.

Initial freebie work is not a problem... it is good business.
But in addressing the underlined statement about future work... never, NEVER assume the client will take it upon theirself to reward you in the future with paid work. This is a business. Make sure the client is aware of that fact... a freebie is a one (or possibly two) time transaction... it is not an endless contract.
VO-BB Member #00044 W00T.gif" alt="W00T" border="0" />
AOVA Graduate 02/2004 ;
"Be a Voice, not an Echo."Ninja
Dave
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on the side of doing freebies...for non-profit groups...

But, not clients that are looking to profit off the talents newness to the job market. Just because you are new doesn't mean you work for free. After all, if you are good enough to get the gig...you should be paid for it.
dlrosenberg

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:47 am    Post subject: To free or not to free... Reply with quote

Thanks to all for the responses. I appreciate the suggestions re doing work gratis for not-for-profits (although we should be mindful of the recent brouhaha over the executive salaries of the American Red Cross, for example - not all "charitie" are created equal.)

To sum up what you all have said: it's OK to do an initial free gig for a for-profit client so long as you clearly set the expectation that this is a one-time thing.
Rick Gordon
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings All,

I agree with all of the above except doing one-time freebies for a client who would otherwise pay. Not good business and it puts you in that "Call Rick, be nice, he will probably do this short project for free".

I do do projects for free. Web site welcomes of up to 150 words (approx 1 minute) in exchange for a link to my site or a credit such as "Narration supplied by Rick Gordon". This has worked well in the past but rarely happens lately.

We at CV encourge all of our members to offer "free" productions for Charities, Religious Organizations and in general just worthy causes. They never have the funds however many of their members are potential clients and you could just receive a legit job as a result of your kindness.

The only other freebie I would suggest considering is for a good solid client who only requires 25-50 words. This is a good move and shows them that you do not always concentrate on the almighty dollar. Especially if this freebie is not going public, or only used on their Intranet for a short period of time.

Bottom line....use common sense.....and continue to be a "nice person" to deal with.

Make sense?

All the Best,
Rick Gordon

Get Hit and Get Heard
GUARANTEED!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
donrandall

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
OK, so about the freebies...the instructor set everyone's expectations that success would not be easy and that we might want to consider attracting our first jobs by doing an initial freebie for the client, the idea being that the client would reward our submission with paid future work.

I made the same suggestion to the car dealer. Told him I might be back to pay for more cars in the future if he'd just give me one for free now.

Ya know, when someone asks me to work for free, I give 'em the same answer I got.

Some charitable and non-profits, are excptions, of course.

"Are you a non-profit organization?"

"Oh yes, we sure are."

"Uh.....on purpose?"
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In keeping with the thoughts expressed above by Deirdre, here's a quick story.

Several years ago when I worked as a Program Director in Pittsburgh, PA a young lady named Kelly called me one day to ask if I would consider letting her do some free voiceovers for our station in exchange for copies of the things she recorded to use for her demo, and for the experience she would gain. Since I had no budget for outside talent, of course, I agreed.

As it turned out, Kelly was quite a talented lady who did some really excellent work for us. And a little over a year later, she had signed with the top talent agency in Pittsburgh and was booking thousands of dollars a year in paying work. The last time I talked with her, she continues to do well.

Since then, I've advised a few people that I thought had real talent to see if they can find a local station willing to work out a similar deal.

Under some limited circumstances, I do work at no charge for Christian ministries.
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: