VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ISDN, Audio TX or Source Connect?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rick Gordon
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:50 am    Post subject: ISDN, Audio TX or Source Connect? Reply with quote

Greetings all,
For those of you contemplating an investment in ISDN, Audio TX or Source Connect I invite you to see my friend Harlan Hogan's article on the subject. Apparently Source Connect are quite happy with it as they have put up a link on their Index page. This article is featured in CV's January Newsletter. Click here http://www.commercialvoices.com/Jan_07.php

All the best
Rick Gordon

Get Hit and Get Heard
GUARANTEED!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Wow! You asked" said Harlan. I don't believe I did. Just in case anyone was unsure about AudioTX, it is an ISDN codec, like a Zephyr, CDQ etc which can also be used for VOIP.

There are a lot of Source Connect evangelists on bulletin boards but no one during sessions in the USA, Canada, Europe, UK, Japan, Australia, South Africa, Singapore, Middle East has ever mentioned it to me even during techie based conversations. I should point out that I am not anti Source Connect it's just that the people who (A) Use me and (B) Are likely to use me don't use it.

Harlan makes a point regarding the cost of ISDN and it is valid to a certain extent but in business it's not what it costs you it's the return on the investment.

At the moment and probably for a while, people with Source Connect have an audio stream, people with ISDN have an income stream (moment of humour there).

Show of hands please. Have you made the cost of Source Connect back from Source Connect work plus the cost of your broadband?
cackerman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:39 pm    Post subject: ISDN, Source Connect, etc., Reply with quote

I use ISDN, phone patch AND Source Connect. Made the Source Connect investment back the very first time I used it...plus $100! While there are more studios/talent using ISDN right now, I believe streaming audio programs like SC will eventually come out the winner. Waaaay lower cost, better quality, few drops. What's not to like?

Chris
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a lot of folks are just trying to drum up support for Source Connect in the hopes that it will take off. Since anybody with a mic and a pre-amp (with our without any particular software) can use ISDN, and only people with certain types of software can use Source Connect, it's going to take awhile for SC to gain any real hold in the VO biz.

This iSpeek thingy I keep hearing about is not dependent on any particular audio software, yes? It just needs broadband, so it sounds like it would have a better chance of being the better mousetrap?

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Bruce.

The biggest problem with streaming audio programs, like SC is: they are dependent on a select few DAW's to work with.

With over three years in business SC has approximately 850 users. That is an additional problem, Who do you connect with? For a product that is only usable by "the most widely used and sold Digital Audio Editing program in the world - 90% of all studios use this program...", (and some VST capable programs) it is not selling very well. Perhaps it is the cost?

Yes, you CAN bridge to an ISDN codec with SC, and that is acceptable. Most ISDN codec users would not know the difference - unless you tell them; although there is an additional delay (latency) factor to deal with.

iSpeek is a stand alone program. Meaning it will be usable on P C,/Mac/Linux/Win-Mac - and other platforms. It is similar in scope to Skype, Yahoo Messenger, MSN Messenger, etc., just better audio codecs and stereo capability. This means it records to it's own file folder, not your DAW timeline. To edit, you will simply place the file(s) (Mono - one stereo file with incoming audio on one track, outgoing audio on the other - and for Stereo, two stereo files - synced together) onto your timeline and begin. Simple. You still use your soundcard, microphone, pre-amps, etc... just like any other VOIP program or ISDN codec - and - it works.

When iSpeek is available it too will be bridging to ISDN for those who need the capability.

SC is still a good buy for the present. It's limitations could be offset with additional marketing and promotion which they seem unwilling to do. If you need an ISDN codecs and cannot afford several thousand dollars - consider SC or iSpeek - coming soon to a computer near you.

Frank F
Glenn Moore
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it has probably been discussed before on the forum, but can someone give me a rundown of the basic setup costs/operating costs of all 3 of these?
Dan-O
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Source Connect: $400.00 One time fee + broadband internet cost

ISDN in Dayton Area: $65.00 per month for line rental fee + $300.00 for installation + equipment ($1400.00 for Audio TX - $1800.00 for a used Telos Zephyr or Musicam Prima LT - New $3000.00 and uHobo Happy

ISpeek: TBD

Last edited by Dan-O on Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Glenn Moore
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool..thanks for the info, Dan-O. The 65 bucks a month is cheaper than I thought....would probably go with buying a used unit though.
Jowillie
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NBA analyst Stephen A. Smith will do his 12N show on ESPN 1050AM in NYC today from one of our radio studios in NC. We asked if they needed ISDN and they said, "not really, what do you have?"
He'll do the show over our Comrex CODEC! Shocked

Last edited by Jowillie on Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Yoda117
M&M

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jowillie,

never underestimate the danger posed by people who do not understand technology.

My take on this is to use what you can afford, study the patterns in the industry and go from there.

If most of the industry uses ISDN, then that's where you need to be. They're not going to change methods and technology just for you (at least not in most cases).

Blog - A man, a martini, and a lot of microphones
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Jowillie
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm telling you ESPN requested the Comrex!

We offered ISDN or whatever they needed.

Weird, Huh?

WE
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which Comrex? You are being too vague... ISDN codec, POTS codec?

If it is the POTS codec - the reason is mono voice only is passable on POTS, and the setup is easy. Just a telephone line (and another box on the other end).

So, which Comrex?

Frank F

Last edited by Frank F on Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jowillie
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, You're right. POTS!
We use Telos for ISDN.

By chance did anyone in NY hear the show on 1050AM? How was the quality?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: