VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AVG Users .... has anyone bought in?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rick Gordon
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:04 am    Post subject: AVG Users .... has anyone bought in? Reply with quote

I was wondering how many AVG (Grisoft.com) virus blocker users have upgraded to the new paid version and how they like it. They certainly have a great reputation with my tekky people and webmasters and I would feel a little guilty buying a competitor's product since I have used AVG on all of my computers for years.

In the VO business we tend to splash our email addys all over the Internet and therefore are a prime target for spam. Is there a better alternative to AVG?

In advance, Thanks for your input, much appreciated.

Get Hit and Get Heard
GUARANTEED!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Dave
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rick,

I'm glad you asked this question. I have wondered about this for sometime myself. AVG (free) beats Norton and McAfee hands down IMHO.

Dave
davediamondprovo
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got AVG 7.5 FREE on all my machines here.
glittlefield
M&M

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm giving ClamWin a whirl on my PC and Mac. So far, so good. My company has also had good luck with Trend products (PC-Cillin for home users) as well. It doesn't bog your machine down like McAfreeze does.

My main problem with off-the-shelf products is that they want to do it all (virus, spyware, firewall) and that usually costs you in performance.

I am also trying out AVG's spyware product as well. It's picking up files that other scanners haven't.
VO-BB Member #59
allensco
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Norton and McAfee load the system down with soooo much crap, the system is almost unusable. I've had AVG (free) on all my machines for quite some time. I also put it on all the machines at my day job (911 dispatch) and the radio station I work with part-time AND all my family and friend's computers. Just can't beat it! It's not a resource hog and updates every day AND has caught several virii trying to get on my system.
donrandall

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been the victim of virus attacks and other nasty stuff - once your computer is hijacked ya tend to get a little paranoid. I began using Norton (subscription), AVG (free), Spyware Blaster (free), Win Patrol (one time fee with free updates) and Snoop Free Privacy Shield (free), Ad Aware (free) and Spybot S&D (free) in addition to the Zone Alarm (free) Firewall. Oh yeah, I also have Windows Defender (free).

I have noticed that Norton and AVG will both light up almost together if something happens that they don't like. Spyware Blaster occasionally picks up something that the others ignored - probably a matter of definitions. Snoop Free detects attempted keyboard hooking and other such things and is kinda interesting. Win Patrol is way cool - a neat little utility that does a whole bunch of things and is well worth looking into.
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

donrandall wrote:
Win Patrol is way cool - a neat little utility that does a whole bunch of things and is well worth looking into.

Don,

I use WinPatrol as well. I agree. It's a very clever utility. I have the paid version on my main computer and the free version on the rest of the computers here at the house (5 in all) and am very happy with both the protection it provides and the information it can find about possibly suspicious little critters.
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: