VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

One for the anoraks

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 5:16 am    Post subject: One for the anoraks Reply with quote

The late great Bill Mitchell in action

http://www.capital604.com/audio/jingles/bill-mitchell/studio_tapes.htm

Bill died ten years ago. He was a drinkin' kinda guy and was booked by a TV promo producer friend of mine for a session in Norwich. 2am John's home phone rings.

Bill "The fool has missed his train!"
Alan B

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 2:49 am    Post subject: Re: One for the anoraks Reply with quote

Philip Banks wrote:
The late great Bill Mitchell in action

Well Philip, I think I must be Chief Anorak. I bought the DVD of that tacky Joan Collins movie from the late 70s just for Bill's two minute cameo appearance at the start.

Someone recently sent me some of Bill's sessions. My favourite bits, - a silent studio, the sound of Bill lighting one of his huge cigars, several puffs later "Anyone mind if I smoke ?".

Also, an outtake - a remake of a famous 1970s aftershave advert Bill was famous for voicing where he replaces the end tag with "NEVER...buy anything I advertise...".

Sadly missed.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're losing our transatlantic audience! Quick someone mention Joe Cipriano, Don Le Fountain-pen or any Television/radio station with a Q,K or W in it's name Laugh
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was unfamiliar with the word "anorak".

From the Wikipedia:

Quote:
In British slang, an anorak is a person, typically a man who has unfathomable interest in arcane, detailed information regarded as boring by the rest of the population - and who feels free to spout said detailed information to anyone within earshot.

Some definitions try to link it with "nerd" but I wonder if this might be more synonymous:

Quote:
OTAKU.. This word can have a very negative meaning depending on the context in which it is used. In Japanese society its usage is widely understood to mean someone who is an anti-social maniac. But in the International anime community the word has evolved into a slang reference meaning obsessed fan. Serious devotees of anime and manga call themselves otaku.

Alan B

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philip Banks wrote:
We're losing our transatlantic audience!

I don't think anyone across the pond is awake yet, so I can probably get away with posting this example of Bill in action :-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPnXXPPGs94

You've set me off now, Philip. I have an overwhelming urge to seek out those Ronco ads voiced by David De Keyser from the same era.

I'll get my coat.... sorry, anorak. Embarrassed
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone with a professional interest would know DLF uses a Manley Reference mic whereas an Anorak would know the name of the person who sold it to him and the serial number.
Alan B

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deirdre wrote:
I was unfamiliar with the word "anorak".

Well Deirdre, I heard the origin dates back to 60s radio enthuisiasts who would hire out boats to visit the pirate radio ships off the coast of Britain. They would wear waterproof anoraks for the 2/3 hour journey and the DJs would say "looks like we've got another boat full of anoraks circling the ship this afternoon". Several ex-offshore DJ's claim they were the first to use the term.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: