VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Animation / Character demo....
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JimmSinger

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:59 pm    Post subject: Animation / Character demo.... Reply with quote

Hey Ya'll,

Just finished putting together an updated animation / charcter demo and wanted to get some input.

Fire away and thanks!

Jimm

Please go go to: http://www.jimmsinger.com/demos.html and click on "Animation". Hey and feel free to browse my other demos and critique the others too. Smile
JimmSinger

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:45 pm    Post subject: Anyone? Reply with quote

WTH? No one has anything to say? Are they so good that hey don't even need critiquing or so bad that you don't want to hurt my feelings? Com'on.
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimm,

Maybe you have not received an answer yet because when people do not have anything good to say, they choose not to say anything.

Let me just say, you demos are too long. Read the archives regarding length of demos.

You are a good "READER", emphasis on READER. I do not hear much real character.

And, sometimes we have real work to do which means it may take some time to listen and post a comment or critique. Don't hurry critiques, because they are of offered as a courtesy and to help you succeed. Read the "Sticky" regarding critiques.

Nuff said.

Frank F
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimm,

I thought your commercial demo was pretty good. I'd tighten it up by shortening some clips and eliminating the ads that aren't as appropriate for the age you sound to be and anything with a "small market" sound. I'd also add some compression or other production techniques to make it sound richer, fuller. It lays a bit flat.

The animation demo..............I hear lots of talent in there.......some of the takes just sounded inane and childish....I know, I know, animation is often inane and childish, but I'd feature cuts that sound like they really could come from a major studio and leave the weak material behind. Then the folks who produce inane and crass material will be impressed with you as well as the folks who produce class A animation. The same note about polishing the audio applies.

You've got talent. You just need a sharper presentation.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Jeffrey Kafer
Assistant Zookeeper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to take a moment to post a quote from the critique rules as noted above:

Quote:
ADDENDUM TO N00BS:
Posting in this forum DOES NOT GUARANTEE TIMELY FEEDBACK.
In fact-- it does not guarantee feeback AT ALL.

You are asking V.O. professionals to take time to listen to and evaluate your work. FOR FREE.

If it takes a while to get a response, deal with it. I am sick to death of smarmy posts here complaining about the lack of instantaneous results.

If you bitch about the time it takes to get feedback or are less than polite about the feedback you receive, I'll pull your freakin' thread.

Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Jeff and Frank for your police work.
I confess to being somewhat distracted.

And thank you Bruce, for the gift of your time and expertise.
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

O. k.; now that I have officially joined the Seven Dwarfs as the replacement for "Grumpy" - (Disney didn't have anyone named old, fat, or sassy to replace) - I have taken the liberty of revising your demo a touch.

Here is what I noticed:

One: Levels were very low;

Two: Many "characters" were extremely similar in sound and presentation

Three: The demo was long;

Four: Focus was mismatched... blend and tell a story or present a style with each character, do not READ, "characterize";

Five: Some clips were muddy - quality could be a touch better - I have EQ'd several clips and adjusted for level much of what you hear on the version I present here.

The version presented here as a revision is not perfect, but may give you a better idea of where you skills are to be found. This is short - approximately :52 seconds but showcases your skills and your characters.

Please be aware the email from your website does not connect, which is why I am posting here and not contacting you privately.

I will no longer host this revision on my personal site after the end of January... so listen and enjoy.

Jimm Singer - Anime - Revised

May I extricate myself from the Disney characters yet? Sorry to be bit gruff - and not McGruf...

Toodles

F2
glittlefield
M&M

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Frank, you're a big, fluffy feather pillow compared to what awaits all new folks out there. Better to hear it here and learn!
VO-BB Member #59
Jeffrey Kafer
Assistant Zookeeper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you owe Frank, like $1500 for that. Above and beyond.
JimmSinger

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank F wrote:
Jimm,

Maybe you have not received an answer yet because when people do not have anything good to say, they choose not to say anything.

Let me just say, you demos are too long. Read the archives regarding length of demos.

You are a good "READER", emphasis on READER. I do not hear much real character.

And, sometimes we have real work to do which means it may take some time to listen and post a comment or critique. Don't hurry critiques, because they are of offered as a courtesy and to help you succeed. Read the "Sticky" regarding critiques.

Nuff said.

Frank F

You're right Frank, thanks. I owe you, and the board, an apology. I didn't read the sticky before posting...not cool...I got rushed.

Thanks, I really do appreciate your input. I thought my reads were good, guess what you're hearing is not enough character in my reads....I'll work on that along with trimming the time down.

Thanks again.
JimmSinger

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
Jimm,

I thought your commercial demo was pretty good. I'd tighten it up by shortening some clips and eliminating the ads that aren't as appropriate for the age you sound to be and anything with a "small market" sound. I'd also add some compression or other production techniques to make it sound richer, fuller. It lays a bit flat.

The animation demo..............I hear lots of talent in there.......some of the takes just sounded inane and childish....I know, I know, animation is often inane and childish, but I'd feature cuts that sound like they really could come from a major studio and leave the weak material behind. Then the folks who produce inane and crass material will be impressed with you as well as the folks who produce class A animation. The same note about polishing the audio applies.

You've got talent. You just need a sharper presentation.

B

Thanks Bruce! I hear ya. Yes I agree that some are childish sounding but moreover, their not polished in their presentation. Will have to get back into the studio and redo some of this.

Aside from the above work I need to do, did it come across as funny and/or entertaining?
JimmSinger

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeffreyKafer wrote:
I'd like to take a moment to post a quote from the critique rules as noted above:

Quote:
ADDENDUM TO N00BS:
Posting in this forum DOES NOT GUARANTEE TIMELY FEEDBACK.
In fact-- it does not guarantee feeback AT ALL.

You are asking V.O. professionals to take time to listen to and evaluate your work. FOR FREE.

If it takes a while to get a response, deal with it. I am sick to death of smarmy posts here complaining about the lack of instantaneous results.

If you bitch about the time it takes to get feedback or are less than polite about the feedback you receive, I'll pull your freakin' thread.

Yes, as I said to Frank, I apologize to you as well. I shouldn't have posted without reading the notes, I will admit when I'm wrong and I clearly goofed. I am sorry, really. Newbie mistake, it won't happen again.
JimmSinger

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank F wrote:
O. k.; now that I have officially joined the Seven Dwarfs as the replacement for "Grumpy" - (Disney didn't have anyone named old, fat, or sassy to replace) - I have taken the liberty of revising your demo a touch.

Here is what I noticed:

One: Levels were very low;

Two: Many "characters" were extremely similar in sound and presentation

Three: The demo was long;

Four: Focus was mismatched... blend and tell a story or present a style with each character, do not READ, "characterize";

Five: Some clips were muddy - quality could be a touch better - I have EQ'd several clips and adjusted for level much of what you hear on the version I present here.

The version presented here as a revision is not perfect, but may give you a better idea of where you skills are to be found. This is short - approximately :52 seconds but showcases your skills and your characters.

Please be aware the email from your website does not connect, which is why I am posting here and not contacting you privately.

I will no longer host this revision on my personal site after the end of January... so listen and enjoy.

Jimm Singer - Anime - Revised

May I extricate myself from the Disney characters yet? Sorry to be bit gruff - and not McGruf...

Toodles

F2

WOW! Frank, I can't thank you enough for that! I'll....I'll PAINT YOUR HOUSE! Smile Wait, your house is probably huge....I'll clean your studio... Smile yeah, that's it.....

But seriously, thanks! I know the time and effort that must have taken...that's way more than I was expecting...you're very kind.

Yes, I can see what you mean on each point. I need to do a bit of work here.

Didn't know the email links weren't working on the site too, I'll have to fix that. I'll go through the whole site and check them all.

Jimm
Gp

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a last note. Take a few minutes to look through the board. Read the guidelines and study the archives. Lot's of great stuff. Another rule is not to paste in full page quotes.....you'll catch on.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimm, you may quite possibly be the luckiest man in the biz.

At the moment, you're the luckiest man at this forum, that's a cinch.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: