VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jane!!! Stop this crazy thing!!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gp

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 8:01 pm    Post subject: Jane!!! Stop this crazy thing!!! Reply with quote

In case you have not heard, I just stumbled onto this about George O'Hanlon passing away. Here is the link http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=950DEFD91E3CF936A25751C0A96F948260
louzucaro
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigh. He was fantastic. I remember hearing about his passing back then. Very sad. Thanks for posting it.

"Well, yeah, there's my favorite leaf!"
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg,

Thanks for posting this link.
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
imaginator
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

george can sometimes be seen on Turner Classic Movies when they run some of the comedy shorts featuring the everyman character "Joe Doaks". they usually start with him peering out from behind a giant 8-ball during the credits.
Rowell Gormon's Clogged Blog - http://voices2go.com/blog
Bailey
4 Large

Location: Lake San Marcos... north of Connie, northwest of the Best.

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks... Very good article.

VO-BB Member #00044 W00T
AOVA Graduate 02/2004 ;
"Be a Voice, not an Echo."Ninja
Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JUST in case you were confused about the dates on that article, George died almost 20 years ago. Not to take away from his talents. He's a cartoon legend! But it seemed like folks were reacting as if his passing just happened.

BB
glittlefield
M&M

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Published: February 15, 1989"

Darn that small print! Smile
VO-BB Member #59
Gp

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep I noticed the small print after I posted it. It was weird though because it was a New York Times post with yesterdays date at the top of the page.
I was talking to Frank and we were trying to see if we could find info in signal chains for some of the cartoons from the '60's. One of the links said something to the effect of George O'Hanlon recording.....and well that's where that came from.
We were commenting on the fact that people like Alan Reed, (Fred Flinstone) sounded great in the '60's and then move them to the late '70's early '80's and most of the characters sound so bad you can hardly recognize the talent. If anyone knows, keyword being knows here, what the signal chain was for these things back in the '60's I'd love to know. Please don't guess if you don't know please refrain from responding. and....I wrote to Mr Fraley already.
Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Alan Reed died in the 70s. Henry Corden took over Fred Flintstone until he passed away a couple of years ago. James Arnold Taylor is doing Fred duties these days. What's so brilliant about James is, he can do both Alan Reed and Henry Corden's Fred.

Trivia question: Did anyone notice Barney's voice changed 3 times during the original run of the series between seasons 1-3?????? Know why????????
Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Alan Reed died in the 70s. Henry Corden took over Fred Flintstone until he passed away a couple of years ago. James Arnold Taylor is doing Fred duties these days. What's so brilliant about James is, he can do both Alan Reed and Henry Corden's Fred.

Trivia question: Did anyone notice Barney's voice changed 3 times during the original run of the series between seasons 1-3?????? Know why????????
Jon Morss

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Bob wrote:

Bob- Was it because Mel Blanc suffered a car accident and then Daws Butler voiced Barney while Mel recovered? Once Mel was able to voice again, I think he assumed the role again.

Since you mentioned him, James Arnold Taylor is one incredibly talented actor and his voicing of Fred is tremendous. Actually my daughter hooked me on to Mr. Taylor a couple of months back and I have found him to be a very versatile VO artist. Certainly one of the best in the business today.

My bad if this qualifies as a thread jack.
Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are correct, Jan! It was due to Mel's auto accident/coma that Daws took over Barney. Once Mel recovered he took over the role again. He was in a full body cast, and there are pictures of the Flintstones cast recording on a mic hanging over Mel's body cast, as they recorded the series.
Gp

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bob I appreciate knowing that. I did know that Alan Reed had died and someone took over. But that's not what I meant in this case.

Fred was played by Alan Reed in the Pebbles and Bamm Bamm show which according to wiki was on from 1970 to '73. There really is a big difference in the quality of the recordings. Not just Fred, but Wilma and Barney too. (Betty was a new voice played by Gay Hartwig) The quality of thier voices in the '60's is so nice...it picks up the roughness of Alan Reed's voice but it's nice and smooth. In the '70's that rough quality is almost non existant.....It wasn't just the Flintstones either, there were a lot of others that I've heard. It is just very evident with both the Flinstones and Pebbles And Bamm Bamm in reruns on Boomerang.

Last edited by Gp on Sun May 25, 2008 6:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Bergen wrote:
... and there are pictures of the Flintstones cast recording on a mic hanging over Mel's body cast ...

Bob,

I hope you'll forgive the threadjack, but this gives a whole new meaning to the term "cast picture"! Laugh
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: